Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last night was my first night off of birth control pills and on prenatal vitamins. I took them right before I went to bed, and felt fine all night and when I first got up this morning.

While I was getting ready for work, I was hit hard all of a sudden with really bad stomach cramps and d*. I also had some n*, but I'm not sure if it was anxiety related or not.

Could it have been the vitamins? I know they can upset your stomach, but wouldn't it have happened earlier?Maybe just IBS or something I ate? My husband is having the same stomach problems, but I'm pretty sure his are caused by the stress of his parents splitting up. He talked to his mom last night and has been really upset ever since. I am trying to keep this in mind so I don't start worrying about a sv oging through our house. Or do you think that is a possibility?

I almost didn't go to work, but I decided to try. I have gone once since I got here (about 2 hours ago) and it wasn't much, but still d*.

I don't want to stop the vitamins yet, unless they are the cause of the problem. What should I do? What do you think is the cause of all of this?

You have'nt been feeling good lately to begin with. I' let your stomach get back to normal then try again with the prenatal. I'm sorry your feeling yucky[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I've heard they can upset your stomach too but my aunt takes them for her skin and hair and has no problems. It may have been nerves or IBS. You have time before you "need" them for the baby so you can experiment. Maybe skip tonight and see if your'e better tomorrow if so try again w/ the prenatal if it happens again than it probably is the vitamins, if not it's coinicidence. Are there different brands? maybe if it is the pill it's just this "kind" or maybe your body willadjust. Or oculd it be your body adjusting to no more BC pill? Anyhow I think you'll be fien especially since it's been 2 hrs since you've gone again.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

You are right swiftette, I haven't been feelign well lately. Yesterday was the first day in a while that I ate a lot, and again - back to some dairy (when will I learn?!). There are a million possible causes for this. I just felt so awful earlier - I had massive cramps and actually felt constipated. I was afraid if it couldn't come out one end, it would come out the other! But once I went, the cramps seemed to ease a little bit. I've been pretty steady lately, so I will probably make it through the whole day at work. I really need to get back to eating healthy - especially for the future baby

Simplyme - I also wonder about going off the pill. I have been on it for so long! I have been a little nervous about that, but I have heard that it jsut makes your periods more irregular, heavier with worse cramps. I can't wait [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img].

Sillygirl--prenatal vitamins can definitely cause nausea and stomach cramps. Many women quit taking them due to those symptoms. Alot of times it is the iron in the vitamin that causes stomach upset. You could try a different brand--some of them advertise that they are more gentle on the stomach than others. I know all of the OB/GYN's in my area advise women who cannot take the prenatal vitamins or cannot afford them to take Flintstones. I know it sounds crazy, but they say that Flintstones contain the correct amount of vitamins that child bearing women need.

Oh, by the way, I go for my pre-conception exam tomorrow and I'm so nervous! Since we have been trying to conceive for almost 9 months now, we are going to discuss fertility issues. My husband is going to try and go with me, but I am still anxious!

Jess

Very true Jess, that's what I took-plus folic acid. Good luck at your apointment tomorow!!!!
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Jess- Good luck tomorrow! I will be thinking of you! I have decided not to have a pre-conception exam because I'm not 100% sure insurance will cover it. If we end up having problems I will though. I am so excited to get pregnant! I went to a friend's wedding party-party yesterday and I kept thinking I would rather be at a baby shower. I know I am young, but I feel like I have moved on in my life and I am ready. It would be great if your husband could go with you. Sometimes it's hard to relay that kind of information afterwards. Are you on any prenatal vitamins yet? I'm not sure yet if that was really what caused my problems. I will try again tonight and if it happens again, then it might be. I don't think it would really tell me anything f I didn't take them tonight, since there are so many other possibilities that also would show nothing tomorrow. We'll just wait and see. Good luck again tomorrow!

Jess, good luck!

I hope youboth arepregnant soon! Wouldn't that be cool if you got preganant around the same time? You could go thru it together! You'll both be great moms!!!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Actually that would be nice - to have someone who is going through the same stuff at the same time. Ideally I want to get pregnant in August so I will be due in May and can take part of May, all of June, July and part of August off work. But I don't want to wait that long!

Yeah that would be really neat. Most of the women I work with are past child-bearing age, so I really don't have anyone to talk to about it. I would ideally like to have a September or October baby, but it doesn't really matter as long as I have one. That means I wouldn't get pregnant until December or January and it may end up being that long before I do get pregnant.

Sillygirl--I am actually just going in for a routine physical and to discuss fertility issues, so I don't think it will be classified as a preconception exam on my insurance. I am not taking a prenatal vitamin yet, just my daily multivitamin. I'm sure he'll give me a prescription tomorrow. I just hope he doesn't suggest fertility drugs yet. I'm not ready for that just now. My husband is going to try and go--in fact he wants to go which really surprised me.

Well, I'll give you guys an update after my appointment.

Jess

I'm pretty sur eit was the vitamins. Looking at the side effects, I think that is the cause. I was feeling better for a while, but now my lower back is killing me - like major cramps from constipation. The last time I went to the bathroom it was d*, but that was a while ago. I think I may have to go the Flintstones route. I'm scared to take anymore - will it get worse? Of course, my doctor is already out of the office for the day, so I can't ask her. I hope this isn't a sign that my whole pregnancy will be rough . . . any advice? I almost feel constipated, but after all of the d* I had today, I find that kind of hard to believe. My husband suggested some apple juice or something to "loosen me up" but I was already loose today! What do I do? It is hurting really bad!

Sillygirl--it may get better the longer you take them or you may find that you just can't tolerate them at all. Talk to your doctor about it and maybe they can prescribe another brand. I don't think this is a sign your pregnancy will be bad--just remember to take some sort of vitamin. A lot ot women who can't tolerate them just stop taking them and do not take any sort of vitamin, which isn't good. It doesn't sound like you're constipated if you have had *d* several times. Anyway, I hope you feel better.

My husband is going to be able to go with me tomorrow, so I am relieved about that. I hate pelvic/breast exams. They are so embarassing and uncomfortable. I don't think you could ever get used to it. Oh well, the joys of being a woman!

Jess

Jess- That's good that he can go with you. I don't think men really have any idea how miserable it is to be a woman and have to go through that. Once a year is more than enough! I am dreading that part of the pregnancy-too many exams!

Of course it's too late to talk to my doctor, but I called the pharmacist and they said it probably isn't the vitamins at this point. They said if it was the vitamins, it would have hit earlier, like within a half an hour after taking them, which make sense. I felt similar to this after I took citrucel once (I tried it for my IBS - BAD IDEA!!), so that's why I wonder about the vitamins.

I have always taken vitamins, though, so I don't understand why they would affect me so much. I am already used to them and have never had a problem. I know there is a little higher amount of certain things, but I wouldn't think they would be that big of an adjustment for my body. Do you think my reaction will get worse if I continue or be the same (if not better)?

On the other hand, with feeling better and then worse again, I am not sure it would be the vitamins. Maybe it is just IBS. I hate having IBS! It is so difficult to tell! I was nervous about taking them in the first place because of possible side effects, but by worrying I probably gave myself the same side effects! I just wish I would feel better. We are supposed to go to my parents for dinner tonight. I thought I was getting hungry, but now I wonder if it is really n*. Do you think if the vitamins gave me n* it would have been right away? Can they make you v*? I never saw that as a side effect - just mild n*. What do I do?! I am getting scared now!