Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Salmonella! Please Help!

So my roommates mom was really sick a week and a half ago. She didn't throw up or have diarrhea, but she had very bad stomach cramps and a horrible headache that caused her to have to go to the hospital. The hospital said it was a migraine and gave her medication and she was fine within a few days. Today however, my roommates mom found out that a raw turkey she had in her fridge had been dripping into the vegetables she was eating. We are now thinking what she had might have been salmonella. I'm scared however though, because she baked us muffins yesterday and I ate a couple bites of one and now I'm worried that I will get salmonella too. Please help. I'm very scared.

Default Re: Salmonella! Please Help!

I don't think you will, as the muffins were baked. The problem with the veggies was that she probably ate them raw, and so if it WAS salmonella then a simple rinse would not have done the trick. Since your muffins were baked, the heat would have probably killed anything that was on them. Also I'm not sure if anything in the muffins would have been kept in the fridge except for milk and eggs and butter, and none of that was dripped on.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

If it was salmonella, she would have had diarrhea for sure and most probably vomiting as well. It doesn't typically cause headaches either... That thing is rough, I know people who have had it and had to be put on IV rehydration. Migraines can be extremely bad, they can linger for days with severe headaches and nausea and will cause dry heaves and stomach cramps if they are left untreated and not "broken" by sleep or certain treatments like anti-inflammatories or caffeine. I have them, and they can really be hell to go through. And even if it was salmonella, which I doubt if doctors said it was a migraine and based on her lack of "sickness", you would be safe if she baked the food. Heat will kill it for sure. So don't worry about it You're 100% safe.

Why do you think you'd get salmonella from the muffins? The only ingredients she would have used should have been unaffected by the turkey (milk in the container, eggs in the shell). And salmonella isn't contagious from person to person. I'm with Cynna. You have to kind of separate the meat from other things. We always put ours on a plate to prevent any kind of dripping. You should be fine though!