Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I hope this post finds you all doing well!

For so long I have been waiting for the light bulb to go off in my head that told me that everything should not revolve around v*. For the last few weeks I have been struggling with the idea that I spend so many days feeling terrible and not doing "fun" things life has been offering me. (A lot of this has to do with a sick family member and taking things for granted that you may not get the chance to do again)

One day, I realized I was spending too much time fearing life (just because there is a remote chance of v*) and I should just get out there and experience the situations I was/am afraid of. This all comes on the heels of one of my clients (I do interior design and sell homes) was extremely ill during one of our meetings (graphic*** running the the bathroom every 15 minutes). Well, she was pregnant (7 mos), and I thought she had a virus...it turns out that she was in the beginning of toxemia (sp?). I spent the days after meeting with her being terrified I was going to be sick, not knowing she had toxemia. Now, I just feel like I wasted my time and energy (afterall, panicking takes a lot of energy) over something that no matter what, I could not control, and in this case did not matter if I controlled it or not.

I really think if we changed our frame of mind (i.e. just getting out there and doing it, or remembering that it's not always a virus, sometimes it's your body's way telling you something is terribly wrong) we'd all lead more satisfactory lives.

I know this sounds like a pipe dream, as am typing this I know I'm still scared, just a little more prepared to deal with the next time I get scared.

Anyway, these are just a few thoughts to help anyone it may!
    I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.

Today I felt awful, like I always do but instead of staying home and dwelling on it I went out and saw a movie. I was even able to sit in a row with other people! (That's a big deal for me) Anyway I agree with you I think that emets should just get out and do something...cosequences be damned! At least that's how I try to think of it...this phobia keeps me from seeing my friend. I only have one friend because of this stupid phobia and he knows I'm an emet and he's very supportive of me. I couldn't hope for a more supportive person when it comes down to it. So I try doing a new thing every day, like going to a new place or hanging out at a bar or something. I totally agree with you.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I agree that may help a bit. A few weeks ago I planned to go out with a
    friend to see a movie. Well that same day I went out to lunch and
    started feeling a bit bad afterward. I didn't want to cancel the movie
    though because it was the first time since school ended that I was
    going to see anyone so I just went.

It was fine. I did have to go to the bathroom a couple times, but not because I was sick.