Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I read in a magazine the other day that taking a daily dose of probiotics (Acidophilus) can help your digestive system ward off bacteria that can cause sv and food poisoning. It helps build up the healthy bacteria in your digestive track making it harder for the bad bacteria to survive.

I don't know how well this would work, but it is definitely worth a try!

Jess

Personally I'm not into the idea of probiotics. I don't like the idea of putting bacteria in my body!!! ALso wouldn't they have the same problem that antacids allegedly have - ie they actually lower your resistance to things because they are supplementing your body's own immunity? If you stopped taking them you'd be more susceptible (sp?) to getting svs I think.

(Sorry to worry anyone!)

I have used acidophilus before. My doctor recomended me to take
    them with antibiotics to prevent stomach upset. I think they are
    supposed to aid in the digestion process by adding "good" stomach
    bacteria. They can also help prevent yeast infections, and help
    with the crampping and bloating that IBS causes. I don't take
    them all the time, though. Just when I have a cold (and my immune
    system is not up to par) or when I take an antibiotic. I keep
    them in my fridge. Carrie

Jess...I totally agree with you here....i have been researching the same thing...and they say that Primal Defense Probiotics are the best. I looked it up on web md....it has alot of benefitsand I do think I am going to try it....it can't hurt you...and i just think that it has to do you some good...having IBS...also motivates me to try it. I have already been on Digestive Advantage/IBS...it helps too...i quit taking them b/c my ibs seemed to go away for awhile...so now i am contemplating starting them again...it's on rofay.com....however....i think the probiotics are definately something i am seriouly going to look into...i know that as often as i get sick...something has to help me...and this says it can make your immune system function properly....so I absolutely think it's worth a try...Kat

I heard the same thing Jess. When we had bad water here for the second time a girl in the complex was taking those pills. I have heard a lot of good things about those pills

The probiotics are highly recommended by doctors around here. And, the thing is you have bacteria all in your body and I would much rather be building up the good so that it can fight off the bad!

Jess

I take it everyday....
    \"This too shall pass\"

How many do you take per day shiva? Does anyone know how many you are allowed to take? I remember my neighbor taking like 5 at a time!

Also, for those of you who are interested....go to www.probioticscenter.com and check out what it has to say...I found it very interesting and am actually going to be ordering their product very soon....I am tired of feeling sick all the time...and if this helps...then it's worth it. Kate

I drank pro-biotic yogurts for a while then stopped - I didn't feel any different while I was taking them or after and I haven't been ill since so I don't think it did anything to my immune system! I think it's a definate plus if it stops you feeling sick.
    Nikki

I just take the chewables with my meals. If I have anupset tummy, I double up. I don't know what the dosage is, but I will check. I even give the kids kind to my daughter.

I think it's important to keep the intestinal flora healthy and this stuff helps. Especially emets who eat so many yeast and sugar products (bread, crackers, etc.) We probably all have a hella case of candida overgrowth throughout our intestines.
    \"This too shall pass\"

this almost sounds too good to be true... I have never heard of them before but I am going to look into it. But if it fights off bad bacteria, why doesn't the whole world take it to refrain from spreading illnesses? This is weird too because I was thinking about how breastfed babies are less likely to getasv because breastmilk has something in it that fights off bacteria that cause sv. Can I get some of that? J/K!

Sheree
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I give my horses probiotics to prevent stomach problems (I lost a horse to intestinal problems in the past) I never thought of taking them myself.

I had suffered from tummy problems for years.I started taking acidophilus with bifidus(sp) and also some ginger root daily and have not felt better.

The thing is, we all have this bacteria inside of our intestines, but we also have the bad stuff in there. There has to be a good balance. When we let there become an overgrowth of the bad stuff, bad stuff happens. So, I take this in order to help maintain the balance. This bacteria actually combats many of the bacteria's that cause illness such as e coli. Also, if you don't have enough of this friendly bacteria in your system, your intestines will develop a growth of yeast that covers the lining making absorption of nutrients impossible.

I believe that many of us diagnosed with IBS simply don't have good intestinal flora balance. Of course we will never hear this from our doctors because if a cure is as easy as a trip to the health food/vitamin store or as simple as eating lots of yogurt then how would they get paid? I talked about this with my tummy guy and he was aware of the theory and admitted that he had treated a few people with antifungals and suggested probiotics for their problem and they all seemed to feel much better afterward. However, he said that it was still a contraversial theory in the US.

\"This too shall pass\"

Does anyone have a particular brand of acidophilus they would
    recommend? I've been using Enzymatic Therapy's Acidophilus Pearls. I
    have not had any problems with it (have not been taking it long enough
    to know if the reduction in my IBS symptoms is due to taking it or the
    placebo effect) but it is unfortunately difficult to locate - only
    Whole Foods market and they are not as convenient as like
    drugstore.com, CVS, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Lewis

My Dr. said to eat lots of yogourt... same theory, but a natual source, not medical. But... I HATE yogourt. LOL. Eating it makes me gaggy... although I can handle it if it's strawberry.... [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"... and but for the sky there are no fences facing....\"-- Bob Dylan