Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Smile How do you relax?

I want to ask more of an anxiety related question, as everyone on this forum has it in one form or another.
    When you're experiencing high anxiety, how do you calm yourself down? I suffer from severe panic disorder and panic attacks, and I'm in therapy for treatment, but I want to find out some new methods first-hand as well. Normally, sitting by a window helps, as well as doing something distracting, like playing a video game.
    How do you guys relax when you're feeling freaked out?

Default Re: How do you relax?

I do a number of things. Turn on the television, go on the internet (online games and forums such as this one) and I also try to do breathing techniques.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Let's freak out together. My Skype is always available to those who need someone to talk to! My username is SnugglePuff78.

This may sound weird, but when I was in high school I had a strange method of relaxation that I swear worked every time.
    I would sit by an open window, preferably a window that doesn't over look someones house etc, and take deep breaths. Also, Sitting forward with my knees apart and my elbows resting on my knees, usually helped calm down any nausea that resulted from the anxiety.
    Lavender oil, even just taking a quick sniff with the cap off, worked instantly. I think I've almost conditioned myself to feel calm whenever I smell strong Lavender.
    I also listen to Enya, and other relaxing cd's I have, songs that sound echo-y make me think of open spaces and make me feel less claustrophobic

All of this stuff helps, but the best thing I do when I'm anxious is talk to my mum. I just talk about whatever's bothering me, and ask advice. Makes me feel a whole lot better. This forum is brilliant for it, as we all completely understand what each other is going through and will never turn you away when you need help.
    "...I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come."

-
    George. R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire Book 1)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I am anxious (pretty much only happens when I've been exposed to a sv or I feel really ill) I read. Anything will do, but the best is a good novel. When I am unable to sleep due to normal stress (racing mind), I either listen to music, read or knit. They're relaxing activities.

Lavender oil is good for relaxation. I take a little bottle with me everywhere just in case I even put a drop or two in my bath before I get in, makes you smell of lavender and really helps you sleep.
    I also have eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil, but to me they are more for clearing your head than anything else. Lavender is still the best in my opinion

Lavender does work! When I still lived with my parents and I'd get the sv*, I would make it so much worse because I was so worried about it (which I'm sure you all understand!)
    My mom would take a cotton ball, put lavender oil on it, and leave it by the couch or chair I was inhabiting to help me calm down and sleep.
    I also used to play Mahjongg (no idea if I spelled that right) on my laptop. It took my mind off of things. Or I watch something that I've seen a hundred times because it's familiar and soothing.

Sometimes when I'm super anxious I'll watch Finding Nemo.. it's a kids movie but so fricken cute you can't help but get sucked in and feel good. I also will get some fresh air, mess around online and play Bubble Shooter (it's a free game and SO addicting... you'll definitely lose track of time and forget whatevers bothering you :P) or I'll clean! Put on some music and go to town.. cleaning is definitely therapeutic, no clue why haha!

What a great question! I'm probably criticised for being lazy, but really I'm trying to relax and stop anxiety, so I like to just lie down and watch TV, if I'm at home. Going for a walk or a run, maybe a bike ride, help me to relax but also release the happy endorphins. Reading a magazine and trying to converse with my family or friends is also good. Sometimes the anxiety is too debilitating to do that though, so sometimes just lying on my bed and trying to nap can help if it's really bad anxiety.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:

My photography Tumblr: