Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Freaking out so badly - please please help

I've just finished Uni and have a little job as a waitress/bar-tender at a gastro-pub. As it's a chain we have to do online training. Tedious, simple stuff like learning how to ask for ID, what to do if there's a fire, etc... Well anyway I was doing some refresher training today and amongst the food safety stuff was a WHOLE module on Norovirus. Talk about scaremongering what with all the press attention too... So now my mind is fixated on it.

To make matters worse I have a hospital appointment tomorrow for my kidneys - and the hospital in question has had a recent outbreak of it on the wards. To make matters more complicated I am on antibiotics for a chest infection that has been giving me a little nausea and d*... Basically v* is more on my mind than usual and I feel at breaking point.

My mind is working overtime. Every time there's a twinge in my stomach I start to panic. I am worn out from anxiety. Any words or wisdom, or just kind words, would be much appreciated please thank you...

Default Re: Freaking out so badly - please please help

It's been on my mind a lot lately too. Tomorrow in the hospital, as long as you don't touch your face, and wash your hands when you get home, you'll be fine. I usually change my clothes, too, but I think most would agree that that's going overboard, so I don't want to encourage it. Hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    It's been on my mind a lot lately too. Tomorrow in the hospital, as long as you don't touch your face, and wash your hands when you get home, you'll be fine. I usually change my clothes, too, but I think most would agree that that's going overboard, so I don't want to encourage it. Hope you feel better soon.
    Ah, well.. usually if I go to a regular appointment I just wash my hands when I get home, but if I had to go to the ER then I change my clothes and shower the minute I get home. So many kids that are v* there.. awful. But it really isn't necessary at all, people who work in the ER don't even get sick and they just wash their hands.

Thing is, most likely the ward you'll have your appointment in wasn't touched by the outbreak. Mostly they happen in long-term care and the such where patients stay in rooms for a while and there are visitors bringing in germs and viruses. The clinical departments that handle appointments don't usually get contaminated. I'm sure you won't be exposed and I hope you'll feel better soon.

Thank you I feel like I have been dealing with my phobia fine until recently what with all this noro talk. Apparently it is much less common than the common cold which is some consolation. Given I've only had one SV with V* since I was 9 (I'm 22 now) I don't think I that susceptible to such things! But media hype is out of control - I am avoiding watching the news and reading newspapers at the moment.

I think you are right - I will be in the outpatients clinic which is an entirely different section of the hospital to the wards. I was there a couple of weeks ago for an appointment and didn't pick up anything (I sanitised afterwards very well).

As I said what's annoying me now are side effects of antibiotics. I didn't want to go on them but a cold I had, had gone to my chest and I had the most horrendous hacking cough (which ironically made me feel like I was going to be s* it was that forceful) so the doctor wanted me on antibiotics straight away. So the cough is better... But penicillin doesn't half mess up your digestive system. I need to keep telling myself that any n*, d* etc is just the antibiotics.

I think there's a comfort knowing that apparently noro is short-lived (I heard it doesn't normally go beyond 48 hours, 72 at a push). It seems though the n* isn't drawn out into v*, which is good. The v* just happens, and quite quickly. I have always maintained periods of agonising nausea not knowing if you will v* or not, is far worse that the actual act of v* itself.

Ahh sorry for rambling. Just such a relief to talk about things on here. I'm having these fleeting irrational thoughts like 'maybe I should stop eating altogether', or 'maybe I shouldn't leave the house until I absolutely have to' ... They are often quickly dispelled but it is frightening me that this horrible phobia is further trying to take it's hold on my life

Trust me, the chance of v* from the antibiotics is much much less than the chance of v* from a very bad cough. So you're better off treating your chest infection than not taking the antibiotics and coughing until you v*. If you want to help the intestinal upset, you can drink ginger tea, it'll help your stomach feel better. Don't let those thoughts about not eating or staying in get the better of your we all have days like that, especially when tired and ill, but the reality is that there's not really any risk in eating or going outside and living life like everyone else. Especially if we take normal precautions like handwashing. Noro really isn't that common or easy to catch (unless you have sick family members who insist on visiting while sick..). I get a cold almost twice a year, but I only caught noro once in my life (I hope I'm not jinxing myself now). So that's for statistics. :P

Yes completely agree about the cough more likely to make you v*... That is why I went on the antibiotics in the first place as the cough was starting to make me wretch. So I think I did the right thing.

Thanks for your wise words - you're right, you just have to keep going... If I have had one SV in 13 years then I don't think changing what I'm doing or how I'm living is going to make much difference!