Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Gas? A sypmtom? Advice please.

So, for about a week I have been feeling abnormally gassy. Last night it started at about 11 pm where I started to feel pretty bad gas pains in my upper and lower stomach and nausea followed it of course. I had the gas and the nausea the entire night and couldnt sleep. This morning I woke up with pretty bad stomach pain but not as much nausea. I have had normal bowel movements but everytime I eat I get pretty nauseous for like an hour and then it starts going away. The gas is persisten though. It has literally been constant all day. It is relieved when I pass gas but always comes back. It's terrible and really uncomfortable. Plus my stomach is rumbling and gurgling a lot (which it has been doing a lot for the past week). Do you think this is a virus? WOuld I have had diarrhea or thrown up by now? I'm pretty nervous about it and just want it to go away. I have been feeling like this for almost 24 hours straight.

Default Re: Gas? A sypmtom? Advice please.

No, I don't think it sounds like a virus at all; especially since you've been feeling this way for 24 hours. I've had terrible gas pain before, one that was so bad it went through to my back. My dad says it can last days. I hope you feel good soon.

Yeah, with a virus you wouldn't start by having this for more than 24 hours without getting sick (or maybe it is a very mild virus that won't cause anything worse, it happens too). Especially if you have had similar symptoms (even if not as bad) for over a week, it's probably not a virus. Rule of thumb for stomach viruses is that when you start to feel ill (cramps, fever, pain, nausea) you usually have whatever symptoms that are associated (v* or d*) within a few hours. As for the nausea after eating, you can always try a bland diet with little to no fat just to see if it helps.

Well I've looked it up and gas and stomach cramps are a symptom of the flu and food poisoning. So that's why I'm freaking out. The alst time I had diarrhea my stomach sort of felt like this but I only had it for like a few hours before the diarrhea happened. Grr I just want to be sure that it's not a virus. I want to be able to eat without worrying about it.

And AoD yea that is what I'm hoping! I don't really feel sick besides the annoying gas. Hopefully it goes away soon.

Well, yes, they are symptoms of stomach viruses and food poisoning, but like nausea they are pretty vague symptoms that apply to so many other conditions! Excess gas in the stomach will usually cause cramps because it distends the stomach (same reason why it causes sharp pains and cramping in the abdomen). So any cause of gas can cause cramps. Thing is, it's not because food poisoning causes those symptoms that the reverse (that those symptoms must be caused by food poisoning) is true. That's the downside of looking up symptoms on the internet, it has so much potential to lead to panicking over having an illness when it isn't the case (my roommate thought she had leukemia last week). And even if it does develop into diarrhea, it's not something that means you'll throw up either. Lots of people get only diarrhea without vomiting, for various reasons. Especially if you don't feel nauseous, I'm fairly sure it's not a virus. Could just be something you ate that your body has trouble digesting. You might want to try putting a hot water bottle or something similar over your stomach to ease the cramps if they get too bothersome, it usually helps relax the muscles.

Well i am nauseous but it's not too bad but thatnks for the input. I think that my stomach is just super sensitive :/ And yeah I should really stop looking stuff up on the internet. I'm really trying to stop but it's so hard in those moments of uncertainty. Thanks so much for the input. I just ate and I felt super full and nauseous after but it's leveling out a little now. Hopefully it'll pass.

bleh the nausea is really bad now. im super bloated and have heartburn and nausea. I usually have stoach problems but these are pretty bad bleh!

Maybe it is intolerance to some type of food? Are you feeling any better now? Heartburn can cause pretty bad bloating in some people.

I have IBS and often have these episodes of terrible bloating and gas. I often get them at nights and I'll suddenly sit up panicking i'm going to be sick. I've found that if I sit on the floor, really, really straight with my back against my bed and my shoulders back, cross legged it puts everything in a straight line and eases the pressure. Gentle rubbing and tapping on the chest forces it to move. If the nausea eases after a burp or breaking wind then I normally put it down to trapped wind. Peppermint tea, small sips of water all help. Normally when it passes which can take a few hours (I end up sitting on my floor, beside a bowl, reading my book in the middle of the night) I'm really tummy rumbling hungry.
    I don't know if it'll help you but I used to panic massively over this until I realized what it was.

I have been dealing with this for a few months now... Some days worse than others. I'm thinking its IBS symptoms. Going to gastro soon to check it out. I feel better when I burp, but the bloating is driving me crazy

I keep thinking that I have IBS because I know it's often associated with anxiety but the thing is I like never have diarrhea! I actually usually only go like every other day anyways... but I'm feeling a little better today but still on and off gas with nausea :/ Usually when I get stomach aches or stomach problems they will last fo rlike 2 or 3 days :/ Does anyone else have this?

I used to have diarrhea almost every time I ate, and was diagnosed with IBS-D... For the last 3 or so years, no d*, or very rarely, and the symptoms are gas, bloating, nausea (bad before I have BM!), some cramping, and sometimes constipation.

Simethicone was a lifesaver when I was preg. It takes care of the worst gas pain. Not sure if you got this message originally.

Currently my IBS presents with gas, bloating and some pain and cramping when things get bad. I started off getting constipated all the time, and then it turned completely on its head. Now though, I'm fairly regular in that sense just the pain and gas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Maybe it is intolerance to some type of food? Are you feeling any better now? Heartburn can cause pretty bad bloating in some people.
    I agree...to me this sounds like a food intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah429 View Post
    I keep thinking that I have IBS because I know it's often associated with anxiety but the thing is I like never have diarrhea! I actually usually only go like every other day anyways... but I'm feeling a little better today but still on and off gas with nausea :/ Usually when I get stomach aches or stomach problems they will last fo rlike 2 or 3 days :/ Does anyone else have this?
    I have this and I was diagnosed with IBS-C. I used to have *D predominant IBS but it changed. I get severe abdominal pain and constipation. I find fiber supplements and probiotics to be somewhat helpful...but I still struggle with it.