Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, I was wondering...should I tell my parents about my emet, or just leave it? I'm too scared to and embarrassed to tell them, but I'm thinking I should, incase it gets worse as I get older. I would really LOVE to be able to hold and play with little kids with fear of the vomiting on me, I would LOVE to just go on school excursions and camps with fear of kids been sick on the bus, I would LOVE to live a normal life like all my friends without this stupid fear!!!

So, should I tell someone, and try and do something before it gets bad (if it does)? By the way, I'm 12 years old and in Year 7.

HI. I do think you should tell your parents...I have been living with this for 30 yrs...and have never told one person...and I believe it would do you a world of good if your parents knew...then they could help you...or at least understand your fears...and try to help in some way...i know it's hard to tell...but your parents will understand...you don't want to go through your whole life keeping this inside...trust me...it's hard to deal with it alone...thank goodness for this site though...you will find tons of support here...Best of luck to you...Kat

I agree with Kat, sit down and tell your parents. When this phobia began for me I was 9, they didn't know what was wrong with me hec back then the doctors had no clue. When I was 34 I found out by myself that this is a phobia, thank god I got a computer! I will be 40 in October and I still have this phobia and there are days that I tell myself I have come to terms that I will have this for the rest of my days. I felt so much better telling people that I have this phobia, and feel incredibly relieved that I found this site and that I am not the only one. I told my parents at the age of 34 that the reason why I am like this is because it is a phobia. Sit down and tell your parents, explain it to them. I understand how you are feeling, I remember being 12, I didn't go to parties, I didn't go on class trips, you are 12 years old and there is help out there for you, together with your parents and a doctor you can get over this. Please talk to your parents.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thankyou so much! I will tell them! I actually had a slight episode on the bus, lol.

Yes tell your parents. Growing up I always had Emetophobia sometimes it was worse then others. I can remember whole YEARS of going through it where the only time I got upset was when someone else threw up. I remember going periods of time where I didn't worry about food preperation and I didn't worry about expiration dates but now I'm CRAZY about all those things. My parents noticed early on that I had a phobia of it so when I came out and told them about it, it explained A LOT of behaviors I had with eating food and going out to eat and all that. They started to understand why I couldn't eat meat that was a little pink, or why I wouldn't lick the batter off of the mixers (Salmonella *shudders*) I just recently discovered the name of the phobia and this place and I think that them knowing really helped me. They have been VERY supportive and are glad that I'm seeking help because they know it's a problem for me. If I were you I would tell them and if they tell you to
    "stop being stupid" or something like that then ignore them. It's a real fear just like my mom fears bugs and I don't make fun of her for that...well I do a little because I'm the one who always has to KILL the bugs. Anyway that's my two cents!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Totally, I think you should tell your parents - I wish I had been able to tell mine, but they didn't understand that it was a phobia, not me trying to be difficult!! Now that you can tell them using a proper name 'emetophobia' and not just trying to explain how much you hate it, they might be heaps more understanding of 'bus' episodes and other stuff like them (I have these too!). Also, it will probably reassure your parents, as they might have noticed bits and pieces and be really worried about you. My mum used to worry that I was a bit crazy, I think - but its no more crazy than being scared of spiders or snakes - it will probably help both of you to understand each other.

Good luck, you are a champ for getting this far!!

Meg :O)

if ever in doubt --- be honest and tell them.

Jen xx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think its great that you are here. I have suffered from this for 9 years and only know, today in fact! Did i find out that other people suffer from this.

Tell your parents. Everyone around me knows about my fear of V* because i always thought its better i tell them, than they just think im afreak.

Well done for getting this far.

x

Yes - tell your parents. Let them help you.

It might be helpful to print out the "Info to give your dr. or family" at the top of the treatments thread. Give it to them to read. Then sit down and talk about what it's like FOR YOU to live with this phobia.

Best to treat it now, while you're young. So it doesn't ruin your whole life.

All the best!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Tell your parents! I haven't told mine and I plan to. I'm not going to let it ruin my life. Well, ruin it more than it already has.

*Sarah*

I think explaining this fear to your parents will take a huge weight off your shoulders, you can know that you are not completely alone and hopefully gain some sort of empathy. Remember that you are still young, if you get help and combat the problem in your own way, taking small steps at a time you can get over it, or at least learn to cope with it, but without leaning on someone it can be a very isolating experience.

Quote Originally Posted by boholoop
    I think explaining this fear to your parents will take a huge weight off your shoulders, you can know that you are not completely alone and hopefully gain some sort of empathy. Remember that you are still young, if you get help and combat the problem in your own way, taking small steps at a time you can get over it, or at least learn to cope with it, but without leaning on someone it can be a very isolating experience.

wish i could agree, but its 100% the other way around for me [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]seems the longer you wait to tell them, the more difficult it is for them to understand [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]