Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Do you avoid alcohol?

Just a random question. Do you tend to avoid alcohol/people drinking alcohol? I'm only fourteen, but I know plenty of you are of age. 2/3 of my friends spend their weekends partying and drinking and not only is it not my thing, but I'm way too terrified of the effects. I think it's a positive thing though - I don't see the point in drinking at this point, and I'm not upset about it. I avoid it for many reasons. Not only the being sick, but also because I've seen what other effects it has - alcoholism runs strong in my family, and it's torn us apart at times too.

Anyone else avoid it for either emet, or any other reasons?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: Do you avoid alcohol?

I don't avoid it, but I started to drink after I got the legal age and I am pretty much over my partying days now (I'm 28). I think 14 is way too young to be drinking and that your friends are being a bit foolish by doing so, honestly. You are right to want to avoid it, especially at your age, if alcoholism is a problem in your family as it tends to have a genetic component that predisposes people to it. It's not so fun either to be so drunk you act stupid and don't remember half of what happened. It can be just as fun to stay sober and watch others make fools of themselves. That being said, I only got sick from alcohol twice, and it wasn't very severe (v* once or twice) and one of those times I think the alcohol was tainted. So it is quite possible to drink and not be sick, but it's not really worth the hangovers that come with it.

Its only the last six months i have really avoided alcohol. However i have never vomited from it in my life, and quite frankly i love going out and having a great night. But that i guess comes with the aussie culture a bit especially at my age. However if your content to not drink then thats totally fine, no one can force you! I am not saying that alcohol is the key to a good time because its not, but i have had some very memorable occasions which happened to include alcohol consumption Just because we are emets does not mean we can not have some dandy saturday nights!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    Its only the last six months i have really avoided alcohol. However i have never vomited from it in my life, and quite frankly i love going out and having a great night. But that i guess comes with the aussie culture a bit especially at my age. However if your content to not drink then thats totally fine, no one can force you! I am not saying that alcohol is the key to a good time because its not, but i have had some very memorable occasions which happened to include alcohol consumption Just because we are emets does not mean we can not have some dandy saturday nights!
    Yeah, gotta admit, the wild drunken nights can make some pretty awesome memories

I don't avoid it per se, but i definitely watch how much I drink so I don't get sick from it. I drink 1 to 2 drink when I go out, but i nurse them. People tease me and ask me if i want a bottle nipple on there. Don't give into peer pressure. There really isn't anything special about drinking.
    ~always wishing for the best, Eveningstar~

If it runs in your family, your best bet is to avoid it. If you have the gene, you may not be able to stop.

I rarely drink. Never wanted people to v.. near me. I have been hungover 2x but never v.... I went through a minor party phase when I got a drink everywhere I went and took alcohol to picnics. I just do not associate having fun with alcohol A lot of people think weekends or holidays have to include alcohol I never have. Some drinkers will try to make you feel left out. Sometimes heavy drinkers need company when they drink to justify their behavior. If you decide not to drink, then there are plenty of non drinkers out there. Just have to look a little harder for them.

Remember if decide to go to a party here are some tips. Never let your drink out of your site for one second. People can sneak date rape drugs or other drugs in your drink. (It happened to a friend.) Always have a designated driver. Following someone home that is drunk will not prevent a crash. Surround yourself with people that make you feel safe. Some guys forget what the word "no" means when they are drunk.

You will have to decide what is best for you. Life can be fun when there is some drinking involved. Life can also be fun when alcohol is not present.

Sorry, I am not trying to mother you. Just trying to be a good cyber "big sister".
    Last edited by Cynna; 12-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Yeah, gotta admit, the wild drunken nights can make some pretty awesome memories
    I know, makes a great story thats for sure!
    Still alcohol does not necessarily equate to fun. Sober fun is always underated.

I've never avoided alcohol, I go out quite often. I have v* after drinking a few times, though as I've got older I've learned my 'limit', and which drinks don't agree with me!

It's strange, but I'm not phobic about drunk people v*ing. Of course it make me uncomfortable, but I'm not terrified!

Like others have said though, you don't have to drink to have a good time! It's up to you, and no one should judge you if you choose not to

Quote Originally Posted by KerryAnn View Post
    I've never avoided alcohol, I go out quite often. I have v* after drinking a few times, though as I've got older I've learned my 'limit', and which drinks don't agree with me!

It's strange, but I'm not phobic about drunk people v*ing. Of course it make me uncomfortable, but I'm not terrified!

Like others have said though, you don't have to drink to have a good time! It's up to you, and no one should judge you if you choose not to
    I actually agree with this...I had a friend v* the other week quite badly from alcohol and it didn't bother me at all. Before I got really depressed I used to reguarly drink and sometimes get drunk, my friends are amazed im a lightweight (I get drunk easily and quickly because I am so skinny and dont eat much) and have never v* - thus they have dubbed me the iron stomach. As an emet, I am secretly quite proud of this title!

I have avoided alcohol for the past 2+ yrs, but not so much because of emet-- for me, it's because of the alcoholic tendancies in me. It's just best I don't . I did drink pretty heavily up until I was 29, though, and was always fine as long as I stuck to beer. Liquor + me = TROUBLE!! Honestly, drunk people v* didn't bother me so much-- I knew it wasn't contagious

I used to drink too much to relieve the emet....for some reason it allowed me to relax for a while. I guess everyone has a "safe place" and I associated being under the influence of alcohol as something that lifted the constant worry ever so slightly. I'm not saying this is right - on the contrary, I've since had a reality check and cut down significantly - but it certainly eased the anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by bex View Post
    I used to drink too much to relieve the emet....for some reason it allowed me to relax for a while. I guess everyone has a "safe place" and I associated being under the influence of alcohol as something that lifted the constant worry ever so slightly. I'm not saying this is right - on the contrary, I've since had a reality check and cut down significantly - but it certainly eased the anxiety.
    I still do this (though I'm getting myself sorted out). I use it almost like a litmus test. If I'm nauseous and it goes away after a couple of glasses of wine I know it's anxiety and not a bug. Then I'd drink more to feel even better and be hungover the next day so start it all over again. It's a horrible and self destructive way to deal with it but it's really hard to break the pattern.

Bex, I agree. I definitely don't think it's the "answer" and caused a lot more problems for me in the long run, but there were those times when I felt some relief-- however brief it was

I think it's just a case of searching for a new "happy place" - it wasn't that the alcohol physically and directly improved my n* levels, only my mentality - which in turn temporarily helped. Temporarily being the operative word.. Alcohol has never caused me to v*, regardless of how much I've drunk in the past...I built up avoidance techniques when in that sort of situation (I'm fully aware of how bad for me this was....) so I never had any negative associations with it. Trouble is, as you pointed out jennjt, it only leads to another problem on top of the emet!
    *sigh*

I don't avoid it, but I tend to not drink enough to make me sick. I used to drink until I was on the brink, but am 40 now and learned my lesson! Now I might have one beer, a glass of wine...something like that. I don't avoid situations where people drink either. Being around drunk people that v doesn't bother me. I guess maybe it's because I know it's not contagious.

Kam, that sounds just like me...literally, word for word. Scary! But I agree - it's really not a good way of dealing with it. It's just finding something to replace the alcohol with to relieve the anxiety...that's the tough part. It's a mental addiction rather than a physical addiction for me - at least, it was...

Quote Originally Posted by bex View Post
    Kam, that sounds just like me...literally, word for word. Scary! But I agree - it's really not a good way of dealing with it. It's just finding something to replace the alcohol with to relieve the anxiety...that's the tough part. It's a mental addiction rather than a physical addiction for me - at least, it was...
    Oh yeah it's definitely a mental thing. I don't crave booze just a break from being stuck in my own head. How did you manage to get over it? Really nice to meet someone who's been through something similar. Think it's pretty rare for emets.

I changed my routines...I took up old hobbies, worked late in the office, spent more time driving to see people in the evenings so I knew I couldn't drink..I guess I just forced myself. Mind you, my OCD's through the roof now.. I genuinely don't know which is worse
    I still enjoy a drink at the weekend - but in moderation. I'm off meds now though, and with it being winter and everything I'm really worried I'll relapse :/

(Just to make this clear, I was never a daytime drinker or anything!)

Quote Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
    I still do this (though I'm getting myself sorted out). I use it almost like a litmus test. If I'm nauseous and it goes away after a couple of glasses of wine I know it's anxiety and not a bug. Then I'd drink more to feel even better and be hungover the next day so start it all over again. It's a horrible and self destructive way to deal with it but it's really hard to break the pattern.
    I'm in the same pattern! When I'm feeling a bit off I'll have a beer or a glass of wine. If I feel better after a few sips hten I know it's just anxiety and not illness. I'm trying to get better,

I used to drink but had to stop for medical reasons. Once the condition subsided I didn't start drinking again. I have never v'd from alcohol but am scared about it. When I am drunk that is the only time I can handle V*. I get lots of people giving me hassle about drinking which I find annoying. I don't really like being around people that are too drunk and clubs can be a bit of a worry but I have more of an issue with trying to explain that I don't drink & don't want to. Peer pressure and all that. I admit you can have some great times with alcohol but some there are some pretty rough times to be had aswell!!

I have an odd sip here and there mainly communion wine!! I think about having alcohol but to be honest I don't know if I'd want to start drinking again. I haven't had a proper drink for about 7 years and I'm ok about it.

For the record I am not/never was an alcoholic!!!

Surprisingly, I've never once thought about avoiding alcohol as a result of my emet. Could be because I come from a long line of alcoholics, or maybe the fact that I am generally not disturbed by drunken v*, because I know that it's momentary and not contagious or symptomatic of a more serious illness.

I started drinking around the age of 14 (28 now), and have v*'d only a handful of times as a result of drinking too much. Hangovers are hell, though. It's basically akin to the sv*, spending all day trying not to v* and writhing around in misery. As I've gotten older I've become more of a social drinker (don't drink at all during the work week, have some wine on my days off), and I still have no problems with it. In fact, as Bex mentioned, it provides something of a respite from the constant anxiety of worrying over whether I'll be sick. When I'm drinking, I just don't care.

I have heard of emets who avoid alcohol entirely for fear that it will make them v*, or stay out of clubs because they don't want to see drunk people throwing up. (Seen my share of that.) As I've already mentioned, drunken v* doesn't bug me. So, long answer to your short question, no, I don't avoid alcohol or drinking situations because of my emet.
    "I'm not saying that I know what I want. . .
    But I know what I don't, don't want to rot in my room. And never know what could have been, believe what everyone else tells me is true."

Strangely enough, I almost find comfort in hangovers. If I know I was drunk the previous night, it helps to blame the n* the following day on something specific rather than panicking that it could be an sv*. When I was at university, I went through a few months of feeling n* every day (this was before I started drinking heavily) so I thought I'd rather get drunk every night
    and go through the n* of a hangover (and at the same time relieving myself temporarily of the anxiety) than stay sober and still experience the same levels of n* but without being able to attribute the n* to anything in particular.
    I hope that makes sense....it does in my head!
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)