Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Please someone help!!!!

I live in a house myself my husband and my three kids 18,16 and 15. We have all had a really bad cold that is going around my husband had it first then my 16 year old and then my 15 yr old and then myself and my 18yr old. My 16yr old got over her cold about 2 weeks ago except for a sinus infection and she was put on antibiotics for it and finished those a few days ago. Anyways on sunday my 16yr old v* all day long with her its so hard to tell if its real or not because she does tend to make herself sick sometimes for attention but i think this was legitimate. Now i am terrified that everyone else is going to get it. My 15yr old who is just getting over his cold had also gotten an infection and is on anitbiotics said tonight that his stomach was upset and i started to panic. I gave him gravol and he said he was feeling better and so far so good and now my husband says he doesn't feel good but he is diabetic and this is not something that is uncommon for him but i keep thinking what if my 16yr old had something contagious and everyone is going to get it and i am so afraid i am literally shaking right now. Everytime they have ever had a sv i have never gotten it (knock on wood) but i am still very afraid. I really hope its something else and the its just a coincidence. I just don't know what to do to calm down i am so terrified i just want to run away from here and stay somewhere else but i have nowhere to go. I just don't know what to do.

Default Re: Please someone help!!!!

It's possible the antibiotics had some effect on them not feeling well. Honestly it doesn't seem like you can really know whether it's a stomach bug or just side effects from say, post nasal drip, or antibiotics, or whatever. Best thing to do is keep washing hands, sanitizing, and you'll get through this!!!

My therapist who is currently working with me on my phobia has worked through deep breathing with me.. I'll share it, as it really has helped me when I'm anxious, because it forces me to slow down my body. You breathe in through your nose, (as if you're slowly smelling 100 roses, each individually my therapist said) and work on having your stomach and diaphragm move instead of chest, because chest moving is shallow breathing. When you've taken in as deep of a breath as you can, hold it for a second or two, and then blow out through pursed lips as if you are trying to slowly blow out 100 candles. Continue to slowly blow air out until you are completely empty of air. Repeat. I hope it helps!! Other things I'd recommend-- cleaning, watching a funny movie, doing something you enjoy that can help distract you from the anxiety-- because lets be honest, what will happen will happen whether we worry or not- so our best bet is to work to control our anxiety. Sorry if I wasn't helpful, going through anxiety myself and am working hard to remember what my therapist is recommending in our CBT therapy.

I am going to have to try the breathing thing.

Shelly, try to relax. This will pass soon. Sounds like there is probably other things going on than the sv. Hang in there.

Cynna my therapist also mentioned that laying on your back on the floor while you do this helps. She said if you're breathing in properly, your lower back actually will curve towards the floor, instead of the usual curve away from the floor. Hope it helps!!