Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have a beautiful baby boy who is now four months old. I am so terrified of him catching a bug. How do you guys deal with it when your kids are sick. I do not want my child to suffer from this so I know I need to act like it is perfectly normal to get sick sometimes (which it is but you know what i mean...) I just don't think I can be that comforting mommy who holds your hair and rubs your back. What do you do?

sheree
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You do what you have to. I find that I am ok, until he is back to sleep, or calmed down. Then I get a panic attack. For some reason, when it comes to my son, I can deal with it. Calmly and systematically. Get him calm, clean, bed clean, and him asleep. I think when it is them, you put your own fears aside. Look at it this way....you are scared to get hit by a bus (who wouldn't be if a bus was coming at them), but your child is in the path of a bus, you would jump in the way to protect him. As mom's, we would die for our kids, so a bit of v*'ing seems small when your baby (no matter what their age) is sick and scared themselves. We are brave and mom's.

Oh, and I never did anything to keep him overly protected. We spent alot of time in malls, and everything (at X-mas of all times) and we are constantly on the go and out. (He is 4 now). I work with the public, so risk is higher. He has only gotten a sv twice so far, and the second time I'm pretty sure it was a symptom of an ear infection that he got a few days later. I even ran a dayhome (sv/cold hell) and we don't get sick very often.

Hope this helps [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

You just do what you have to do. When both of my kids were sick I stayed with them, rubbed the back, gave them water to wash out their mouths, cleaned them up. Believe me I hate it I really do, but I don't show my fear infront of them, I go in my room and cry out of frustration, I put myself on the water and cracker diet for 3 days. I have my youngest son with me, the oldest one is out now but when Tyler is sick with a fever and feeling sick to his stomach and it turns out that he has tonsilitis I am fine. It is hard but you just be there for the kids.

I agree...you just do what you have to do because they are your children and you hate to see them suffer....your mommy mode just kicks in and takes over..you will still be scared and panicky...but you just get through it somehow...my boys are 15 and 12 now...in a couple of months anyway...and so I have been through alot of sv's with them...and they were quite bad actually....but someone I managed to get through it. Many a night...fingers in the ear plugging the sound....heart racing...feeling sick myself...but you can and will be fine....just know that they need you to be there for them...they are helpless...and need their mommy....you will be fine...Kate[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

It's true. You deal in the moment and panic after....
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

I've often wondered how I'm gonna deal with this as well. So far so good. My girl is 11 months old now and we've only had 1 situation that scared me, but I think I handled it pretty well.