Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Ate out of date sauce

My dad made a Chinese pork dish and accidentally used out of date soyaki sauce. I ate it because I wanted to prove to myself that I could eat triggering foods like things which are out of date. I just left the dinner table and my anxiety is beginning to spiral out of control. I have a final exam tomorrow and that just makes the fears of getting sick worse, I'm really really scared and my mom is really exhausted and in a bad mood so I can't really talk to her about it she told me just to eat it but I'm afraid she'll be annoyed if I say I'm scared because that is what she's expecting.

Default Re: Ate out of date sauce

How past the expiration date was it?

I eat a lot of things like that past their date and am always fine. They usually have a lot of salt and preservatives that keep them ok to eat some time past the date. And if it didn't taste or smell rotten, it should be fine. Not like dairy, meat, etc. that spoils a lot more quickly. I think you will be fine.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

according to my mom it had been in the fridge for a few monthes (eek)

Hmm. Bummer! :/

I still think you should be ok, though. If it was truly bad, you would probably have a mild stomachache right now, along with the rest of your family who ate it. And even if you did or develop one, of course that doesn't mean you will certainly v*. Might just be stomach upset that will go away eventually. Just try to relax the best you can.
    "This is impossible."

It has vinegar in it. You will be fine.

Thanks, i'll try to relax, I'm a firm believer in the power of tea

That's the spirit!
    "This is impossible."

Did it taste weird? I always go by flavour - if something tastes foul, then chances are it's not fit for consumption, but these days everything's so "safe" when it comes to sell by dates you could probably get away with a good couple of weeks after the date on the jar! They just have to cover their backs, I guess

I think you'll be okay. Honestly if I had a nickel for every out of date sauce and such I've eaten out of the fridge, I'd be a rich man. Seriously though, my parents NEVER threw anything away and in fact, I never even thought about checking expiration dates on sauces, salad dressings and such until I was grown up and out of the house. Unless it blatantly smells or tastes bad, I'll eat it and I've never gotten sick *knocks on wood*

Now that it is day 2, sneak into the fridge and toss the sauce in the trash and recycle the container. Do not want to tempt fate.