Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation be careful how much bleach you use to clean with.

when my kids and i were sick i went overboard and bleached the entire house. now even after a week we can smell it and it's making us sick from the fumes. im getting the carpets done tomorrow and were going to try to wash everything down. while bleach is good for killing noro if you use to much it can cause alot of complications. eyes, tongue and throat burning is what were all dealing with. then again it could be a sinus cold but it feels chemical to me. just a FYI for us fellow emets.

Default Re: be careful how much bleach you use to clean with.

I second that . Think I overdid it this morning. Went on a bleaching frenzy and now am not sure if I'm feeling congested from that or a cold. Either way, I am going to definitely be aware of that!!

And I know this is generally common sense, but NEVER mix it with anything. The fumes can kill you within a matter of seconds. Literally.

I second that too... I almost gave myself pulmonary oedema last time I cleaned this apartment after my roommate was sick. I couldn't breathe properly for a week after. It is a very distinct feeling from a cold, it does feel like a chemical burn. Next time, I am using a normal disinfecting cleaner first then I will apply a diluted bleach solution (and no more of that impossible to rinse spray bleach cleaner) and rinse.

And yes, never mix it, not even with "natural" products like vinegar cleaning solutions. It can react to form chlorine gas which is extremely irritating and can be lethal (it's also heavier than air so even more dangerous to pets and toddlers).
    Last edited by AoD; 12-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.

We get a product here called BAM and I once used it to clean the shower - I didn't even think about the danger when I then sprayed some glass cleaner - the fumes where insane - I literally had to sprint to the back garden as I felt I couldn't breathe and my throat felt raw and burnt for about 10 days afterwards.

Now I use just one product at a time....

The best advice here should be reiterated, DON'T mix bleach and other cleaning products. The good thing about bleach is it breaks down fast so I'm sure what you're experiencing now is residual effects from that one big exposure. If not, you need to air out the house a bit...get some fans running...easy for me to say, cause I know it's a bit colder up where you are.