Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worst Part about Emetophobia

Living with emetophobia is like trying to wrestle with a ghost. Never knowing when and from which direction you are going to be attacked.
    A person with a fear of heights, can for the most part avoid them. Also similar for many other phobias. But how do you avoid hardy, microscopic viruses, which are constantly mutating and that can be anywhere, anyplace at any time? Sure the hand washing, proper hygiene, careful food handling, etc. may help you avoid illness, but as careful as you are, all it takes is a family member to bring it home and there you are...facing your biggest fear right in your own home and brought to you by those you love the most. It's a strange sensation to fear, resent and want to run from the very people you love most on the planet. But you do. Then usher in the guilt for having such feelings. Added to that the fact that these viruses usually rear their ugly heads around the holiday seasons when you want to be able to rest, relax and enjoy family and friends.

End of rant for now

Default Re: Worst Part about Emetophobia

I`m lucky in that I live on my own & don`t have to worry about family making me sick, but I`m always worrying if the person who hands me my change in a shop is carrying a bug on their hands, or the handles of supermarket trollies could be contaminated, or the worst thing ever, a person giving me their nasty little germs by vting near me. I was watching the 5 0 clock news on channel 5, & they were saying that it only takes about 10 of these viruses to enter the body to make a person sick, & thats why it`s so contagious. That piece of information did nothing for my peace of mind. It seems as if this virus is trying to get us all.

Yes, not very reassuring is it! I must say it is easier for me now that my boys are young teenagers and can manage without much help from me when they are ill. It was very difficult when they were little and I had to nurse them and clean up after them. My husband, while being a great guy in so many ways, does not see being sick as anything to fear and is not terribly sympathetic. He is very blase about the whole thing...a state, I must say, I highly envy He also is not very careful about hand washing. His job takes him in and out of peoples homes on a daily basis, and it was he who brought home a SV last year the week of Christmas. Thankfully, only he and my youngest v*d. My oldest and I did get it, but mildly and did not get sick.

The worst part for me is the constant awareness / obsession-- like my mind is always on cue for "possible virus transmission." Sometimes I just wish I were ignorant to it all! Like, dumb and happy, lol. Also, I feel like a prisoner sometimes for the way I let it take over. I have a feeling that I have the key inside...somewhere... Hopefully therapy can help me find it!!

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I`m lucky in that I live on my own & don`t have to worry about family making me sick, but I`m always worrying if the person who hands me my change in a shop is carrying a bug on their hands, or the handles of supermarket trollies could be contaminated, or the worst thing ever, a person giving me their nasty little germs by vting near me. I was watching the 5 0 clock news on channel 5, & they were saying that it only takes about 10 of these viruses to enter the body to make a person sick, & thats why it`s so contagious. That piece of information did nothing for my peace of mind. It seems as if this virus is trying to get us all.
    Wow... You just described me completely. In my mind, EVERYTHING is contaminated with that *sv. Everytime my parents do big shopping, I'm always thinking 'They will be handling trollies and baskets which could be contaminated....' etc. Loads of 'what if' questions... I even do not like people who come to our house and open our gate either, as I'm thinking 'What if they have had the virus recently?' UGH...

What annoys me the most though, is people who use public bathrooms and do not wash their hands before they come back out! I also watched something on the News the other day about hospitals monitoring the amount of people that wash their hands when entering and leaving and I was in shock to see that only ONE person out of like, 15 other people shown actually washed their hands when entering and leaving! It disgusted me.

Sorry for venting, but just felt like it.

The worst part for me is my panic attacks and migraines..
    My panic attacks basically make me feel just like I'm going to v*. I get cold, I start to shake, my throat closes up..etc
    Basically something triggers the panic attack, and the I panic more because I think I'm going to get sick, and it's a vicious cycle..
    My migraines are worst..I have to stay still for 2-3 hours or else I feel like getting sick.My head doesn't bother me that much..It's the nausea that I hate.

Migraines are horrible! The closest I came to v*ing in 20 + years was due to a migraine. I have to take advil the minute I start to feel a headache coming on.

The worst bits for me are not allowing myself to do things I want to do such as eating out on a whim, going on fairground rides, going to bars, eating out abroad.

I hate having to use public transport and moving because someone sneezes or coughs near me or trying to avoid touching hand rails.

I find nights are just so scary. Something about v* in the middle of the night horrifies me.

Mondayschild, I used to live with that level of anxiety. My life was reduced to hiding myself away from people and possible SV exposure. I have been living with emetophobia for over 40 years. I found a doctor (after going through several who would not take me seriously) who prescribed me medications that gave me my life back. I'm not saying that I am still not afraid of v*ing, but I don't live with fear and worry on a daily basis any longer.

Ballykissangel. I'm so glad you have managed to get your condition under control. I must admit I have never approached a doctor about emetophobia I think I am worried they won't take me seriously or even that this condition is not serious enough. I have hypothyroidism and have a hard enough time with doctors as it is! I find I go through stages in my life when my condition is worse than others especially when noro is so heavily reported.
    What kind of medication do doctors prescribe for this condition?

I'm really happy to have found this forum. You're all describing exactly how I feel. I've spent my day wishing swine flu would come back to take the headlines off bloody noro. My husband thinks I'm crackers and hardly ever washes his hand which frankly bloody disgusts me. I've got myself demented at the moment

I am on an antidepressant which takes away the obsessiveness/compulsiveness about norovirus, that is I don't dwell on it all the time. I can relax more. And before the antidepressant kicks in fully (4-8 weeks), he prescribed an anti-anxiety med that really takes the edge off the bad anxiety. The combination of both works wonders for me. Not every Dr. will take you seriously, but one will if you are persistent and it is well worth it!!

My dad is trying to talk me into going to the doctors but I won't go near the place in case it's infected!

I called ahead and told them my fear. They let me sit in an area way away from other people. They may look at you weirdly, but so what? Trust me, it will be well worth it to get meds that will help you deal with things. I highly encourage you to see a doctor. There really are medications that will make your life far easier. You may not have to be on them for long. Even if they help you get over a really rough patch it is worth it!!!

That's good of them to let you do that, I might ring them and see if I can do that too. Thanks for the help/advice it's really nice to know that there are other people who understand how I feel

Quote Originally Posted by Jules78 View Post
    That's good of them to let you do that, I might ring them and see if I can do that too. Thanks for the help/advice it's really nice to know that there are other people who understand how I feel
    I understand completely!