Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Question about SV..

So this is probably a wee bit of a silly question, but I just need to put my mind at ease! I'm travelling down to England in 9 days to spend Christmas with my family, but I read on facebook yesterday that my little cousin has the sv, he's v* and had d* and the lot, then my aunt was on the phone today and she says she thinks her and my uncle have it! So, could I still catch it 9 days later? It sounds pretty steep but I remember my dad had a sv and my mum caught it like a week and a half later! My auntie is a clean freak so I know she'll have been cleaning like mad but I'm just so scared to go down and catch it 'cause I really can't stand the thought of being ill away from home, and it's an 8 hour drive back to my house! And I'm so busy etc I really don't have time to be ill! I feel reaaally selfish 'cause I really want to spend time with my family, but I don't want to catch anything...

Default Re: Question about SV..

This would be a good time to inform your family of what needs to be done. Explain how to clean the bathroom and how to wash hands. As long as they do this you will be fine.

Is there another family member you could stay with?

Cynna, my family don't know about my emetophobia and I'm not too keen on telling them how to clean and stuff, just incase they think I'm being cheeky or insinuating their house is dirty or something lol!

Loop-star, I could stay at home with my mum (I'm going down to England with my gran and papa) but my mums not celebrating christmas this year!

Bring a can of Lysol!

If you are a girl, it would be a good excuse to put a box of lysol wipes in your purse. I got inspired by Jadeshine. They might get upset if they smell the lysol.

Relax. Forget the the sv. Enjoy the holidays. Practice deep breathing now so you can use it then if you become anxious.

Well, there's ways to inform them on proper disinfection methods without sounding cheeky, especially if she is a neat freak I'm sure she'd welcome the information (friend of mine caught noro a few days ago from a little girl who was v* at her work.. silly parent for bringing that poor kid there, but anyway) and I told her that for next time, I heard bleach does wonders to kill the virus and she was quite grateful for the info (her boyfriend too). Maybe next time you talk to her, ask if she's feeling better and that you heard this "tip" about using bleach to kill sv* to prevent spread, so that next time your little cousin gets sick they might avoid catching it too. I'm sure she'll start disinfecting before you guys come over! You can visit and be just fine, as long as you are careful to wash your hands properly before eating and before touching your face or mouth.

Yes, I'm a girl lol. I'll look into getting Lysol wipes then, so they don't think I'm being rude!
    I'm trying so hard to keep positive and not think about the sv but it's everywhere at the moment, everytime I feel a bit odd I'm like 'awww god I've caught it!' haha
    Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Well, there's ways to inform them on proper disinfection methods without sounding cheeky, especially if she is a neat freak I'm sure she'd welcome the information (friend of mine caught noro a few days ago from a little girl who was v* at her work.. silly parent for bringing that poor kid there, but anyway) and I told her that for next time, I heard bleach does wonders to kill the virus and she was quite grateful for the info (her boyfriend too). Maybe next time you talk to her, ask if she's feeling better and that you heard this "tip" about using bleach to kill sv* to prevent spread, so that next time your little cousin gets sick they might avoid catching it too. I'm sure she'll start disinfecting before you guys come over! You can visit and be just fine, as long as you are careful to wash your hands properly before eating and before touching your face or mouth.
    Ooooh, I never thought about saying to her, just like giving her a tip to prevent it in future! That's a good idea, thank you! Yeah, she probably disinfected straight after my cousin v*, but if her and my uncle both have it, I'm worried they might feel too unwell to clean. But once she feels better I know she'll clean, she always cleans for us coming down anyway! I'll just be extra careful with my handwashing and stuff!