Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Stopping Me

Default Stopping Me

Hi guys, having this disorder thing is stopping me from what I love doing, going out. For example today I want to go to these markets but its a 30 minute train trip and 10 minute bus trip. I'm not a fan of public transport because I'm scared that people will laugh or think ewwww if I v.... And same with at restaurants and anything public, I'm also afraid of what will happen after I'm s... Like will anyone help me? Will I loose friends? Where will I go? What will happen? Anyway I really wanna go I these markets today but it is quite a long trip there and it's a bit crowded. I wanna go but what if I'm s...? My sister is coming with me an her friend and I think if I'm s... Her friend will think I'm disgusting :/ helppppp xxx

Default Re: Stopping Me

The only thing I will say, is that the more you allow those thoughts to rule your actions, the worse your phobia will get. You have to make a choice to do something even if it terrifies you, knowing that logically nothing is likely to happen. You don't have to start big, but I highly encourage you to start small, working on not letting your fears come between enjoying life. That's not a super long trip, only 40 mins, and I'm totally sure you will end up having a blast if you go!!! Make today the last day that you allow this phobia to take you deeper down into it, start fighting back!

I only say this because this is what I've been doing lately.. And my therapist has really encouraged that. She has agreed that the more we allow fear to prevent us from doing something, the bigger that fear gets.. Whereas the more we step out and fight through the fear, the smaller it gets. Go to the markets, you'll enjoy it!!

Thanks that really helps!!! I'm still care though! What if I am sick?

Honestly, if you were sick, you'd likely already be feeling ill. There's no reason why you'd all of a sudden get sick on the ride. Us emet's aren't known for v-ing often due to our extra powerful willpower I truly see no reason why you'd all of a sudden get sick.

Why would you be sick? It's not like you were already ill and had a huge risk of v* again. If you feel fine, go, you won't get sick during the ride.