Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm scared I have Noro

I've just come off a course (literally yesterday) of Amoxicillin for a chest infection, and have just started a new medication for a kidney disorder too. Both these tablets have been making me feel a bit off and a bit sicky. But in the past two days it's got worse. It's not a nausea that makes me think I wi v*, but this gnawing, empty, acidic feeling in my tummy. I'm eating normally. I suffer from anxiety, and I am also due on my period. Still, I am convincing myself I have noro and the anxiety from that is making my symptoms worse I'm also worried I may have another UTI as I have pain in my back, my urine is quite dark and cloudy and it's hurting a little to pee.

Please help, I feel very distressed.

Default Re: I'm scared I have Noro

It doesn't sound like Noro to me, at all. When I had it, it came on fast & the n* was to the point where I couldn't even think about food, watch a commercial on TV where food was involved, etc. I wanted to respond to your post, too, because I have been experiencing that same gnawing, hollow, acidy feeling. It is so weird, isn't it? I had it again yesterday & thought I might just be hungry. I ate dinner & felt uncomfortably full, gassy, and "icky" afterwards. As soon as that feeling went away, the gnawing feeling came back! No matter what I eat or don't, it's there now. This has happened several times to me since the summer, and I have never v* from it. I did make an appointment with a gastro dr because it just isn't right, you know? I go Thurs at 9 am-- will try to remember to post what he thinks it is!

Oh it can't be noro then... Because I feel starving right now haha. Noro doesn't normally come on gradually then? It's sudden?

Yes I know that sensation well! I saw the doctor today and he thinks it's a combination of medication, anxiety/stress, and PMT also. I don't feel ill if you get me? Just off. For me I always cope better with nausea, even if it is a SV, if I know the cause. It's the not knowing that gets me. Like I had a kidney infection and before I knew what it was, v* was a symptom. As soon as they diagnosed me in hospital though I felt so much more in control and the v* was more bearable. Actually I would go far as to say that n* freaks me out more than v* because nausea can go on and on and it's not certain if you will actually v* - at least the act of v* is quick and relieves the n*.

I do hope the gastro doctor sheds some light! I think our phobia is so tough because the anxiety of it actually produces the one thing we fear, nausea!

Jenn is right. If you are hungry and/or eating, you don't have noro. It does sound like you have a UTI though if your lower back is hurting and it hurts to pee. Definitely go back to the doc. If it develops into a kidney infection, those CAN make you v.

Yeah I am eating fine which is a good sign. I think I've got a little UTI which I know can make you feel off. And yes kidney infections do make you v* because I had one and was sick to my stomach. Back to the docs for me!

God you've had a horrible time of it recently! Don't think it's any wonder you're feeling rubbishy! I get that hollow, gnawing feeling loads and it's always just down to IBS or a change in my routine (I get it if I have to get up earlier than usual or am away somewhere). I'd defi get the UTI thing checked out though! Hope you feel better soon x

It's such a strange feeling, like a nausea but actually not, not when you compare it to the nausea you get when you know you are likely to v*. Thanks so much yeah going to keep an eye on the UTI. Periods though I find really complicate things as they give you all sorts of symptoms! The gnawing feeling is much better. I've literally only just come off antibiotics which make you feel sick to your stomach, and now on a new medication to regulate my kidney function, and that medication in particular is known for nausea. I wonder if it's common for us emeteophobics to be such hypochondriacs?! Xx

I think it's natural for us emets to be hypochondricas - after all, our fear is illness-related so we're bound to be! We're our own worst enemies on that front though - as you say, the more we panic, the worse we feel, the more we panic..and so on..

*sigh*

Exactly! I had a solid half an hour yesterday where I felt so sick to my stomach I thought, this is it... Then I was fine once I was calmer, and ordered a meat feast pizza! I think it was an anxiety attack, because it happened straight from going to the doctors who had warned me about Norovirus. Things can affect you subconsciously clearly, not just consciously. Ahh the life of an Emet! I think I should write a book about what it's like! Xx

Haha, tell me about it! All I need to do is hear/read/think about noro and I'm off...and despite telling myself that I feel n* because of the anxiety, my rational brain chooses to ignore this message and so on and so fourth.... I think it'd be pretty interesting to document the thought/anxiety process from the moment the panic starts to when it begins to subside...
    Ps. A meat feast pizza is ALWAYS a cure

We should document it!! It makes sense, though, that our brains cannot understand logic when in the midst of a panic attack-- a phobia is, by definition, irrational. It makes me feel so frustrated when non-emets try to talk about logic when I feel that way-- I'm like, "No shit! I KNOW in my brain, but when my phobia takes over (panic attacks, nausea, etc), game's off." When emets talk logic to me, I feel better, though lol. Because you all have been there. Big difference between empathy & sympathy

It's terribly frustrating knowing that you know better than the phobia (if that makes sense), yet still the brain sucummbs to the anxiety...I actually resort to talking to myself sometimes - rational me vs irrational me

Wow, that really does make me sound crazy. Haha.

jennjt - it sounds like you may have gastritis with the gnawing feeling between meals. Do you get any reflux or upper abdo pain?

Bex, I totally get the "committee" in your brain that argues logical vs. anxiety jotini, I finally have a gastro appt this Thurs and am so hoping to find some answers. I know emet anxiety causes a lot of stomach issues, but I swear some of these seem just "off" to me. Hopefully will be able to schedule whatever tests are necessary before the end of the year