Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question OT-vapor cigarettes?

Well, I've made the decision to try and quit smoking again.
    I've quit before in the past-once due to pregnancy and three times cause I wanted to. Obviously nothing really worked and I always ended up smoking again. But I really have to get serious about this. I'm 41 years old and have been doing it for quite a while. If I don't, it's not a question of will I get cancer, but when. I've tried the patch and it really messed with me, even the lightest dose. Chantix doesn't sound like it would be a good fit what with my emet, anxiety and ED tendencies.
    I've heard some interesting things about vapor cigarettes and of course my first thought is "will they make me v?" but from what I've read it doesn't sound like a common side effect. does anyone here have any first hand experience with vapor cigarettes? I'd like to hear any stories-good or bad.
    Thanks!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Default Re: OT-vapor cigarettes?

Hi,
    I've got one of those 'vapour' cigs (I bought it as I'm trying to cut down), and they are pretty good, and quite realistic (though they are much heavier than a normal cigarette!)

The only thing I found with them is that they're just not "the same" as a real cigarette!
    Saying that though, a friend of mine has successfully managed to quit smoking completely by just using the fake ones! They now only use the vapour cigs every now and again, which is pretty good.

I haven't had any side-effects with mine, though when I first used it it made me cough when I inhaled it, but you get used to it

I've also tried the Champix pills a few years ago, and those have some pretty nasty side-effects!

Definitely give it a go if you want to quit, and good luck!

Tried one once. My throat burned and I coughed.

I was the same way as Cynna.. they do burn kinda and make u cough..its weird.. they dont taste right either lol.. i couldnt do it. i still mine put up tho, on my just in case days, when i run out of real ones. GOOD LUCK TO U!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I quit smoking as well, but with the patch. I have a e-cigarette (vapor) and it did not make me sick or even feel slightly sick. They did not make me cough like others have stated, but they did and do NOT taste the same as the real thang . I believe you would be okay. I just had to realize that even though it is vapor, I am still getting nicotine, so I gave it to someone else. I also smoked American Spirits (black ones) and they were the strongest nicotine you could get in that brand.

Congrats on quitting again. I have quit several times myself and I am 45.....so, don't feel alone. I always say for today, I am a non-smoker...because it is just like any other addiction, I could smoke in the next 10 minutes, if I chose to.

Good luck!

Peace~
    Last edited by FreakAboutV; 12-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear, is Fear Itself- Franklin D. Roosevelt
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Congrats on quitting! I've never tried them but a friend of mine smokes the Blu e-cigs and he hasn't complained of any adverse effects other than having to charge them often lol.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It means to much to me.
    I'm very nervous about quitting. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm afraid of failing at it again. I'm mostly quitting for myself but I know it would mean a lot to several others in my life. I'm afraid if I don't succeed this time, I'm just going to end up disappointing everyone again.
    In addition to missing the actual smoking, I'm freaking out about gaining weight. I know in the grand scheme of things, weight gain shouldn't mean anything, bu to me it does. I'm short to begin with, so if I put on 5 lbs it's noticeable ( at least to me).
    I have a couple left-once they're gone, that's it. I have my new e-cig, so I'm just gonna hope for the best!!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore10 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It means to much to me.
    I'm very nervous about quitting. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm afraid of failing at it again. I'm mostly quitting for myself but I know it would mean a lot to several others in my life. I'm afraid if I don't succeed this time, I'm just going to end up disappointing everyone again.
    In addition to missing the actual smoking, I'm freaking out about gaining weight. I know in the grand scheme of things, weight gain shouldn't mean anything, bu to me it does. I'm short to begin with, so if I put on 5 lbs it's noticeable ( at least to me).
    I have a couple left-once they're gone, that's it. I have my new e-cig, so I'm just gonna hope for the best!!
    I completely understand about the weight-gain thing. I myself have gained weight, but at the same time, I am no longer cold, I do not shake....my food tastes better, my clothes, breath and hair smell better. There are so many good things about quitting that they outweigh the bad. I also joined a gym, which helps.

This may sound weird but another thing that has kept me from starting again is I read somewhere that smoking makes you more susceptible to getting sick, whether it be the flu or SV....that snaps me out of my cravings right there.

I will honestly say I still think about having one almost daily, but then I remember all the benefits, take a few deep breaths and the craving goes away.

You can do it...no matter how many times you have quit....and if you are doing it for yourself, you should be more worried about letting yourself down than others.....it is a committment to yourself

Peace~
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear, is Fear Itself- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I smoked for 6 years and quit... Oddly enough... Because I had sv and felt so n and awful for so long I just didn't pick up the habit again! I did v during that sv as well. Like 2 weeks later when I finally started getting back to normal (even though it was only like a 12 hr flu I barely ate for 2weeks after and lost like 15lbs at the time) I was like, "gee I haven't smoked in like 2weeks I should just try to quit!" So I did! I missed the habit a lot. Still do once and a while. But like the other poster said, it will boost your immune system and make you taste and smell things more vibrantly and your hair and clothes and thins won't smell anymore... Plus you'll save lots of money and be healthier!
    Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10

I actually don't like the e-cigarettes. It's not the taste that doesn't seem right, but the weight of the actual device. I mostly smoke in the car, and the vapor cig is so heavy that I feel like I'm going to drop it out the window. Trying to use it actually makes me crave a real cigarette way more than I did initially.

I quit smoking by using an e-cigs and haven't gone back to smoking a real cig since. I never got n*. It really depends on how high of a nicotine level you use and if you try to puff on them too much and too fast.
    I don't use the tabacoo flavored juices. I only use fruity flavors. I enjoy it.

well the whole quit smoking thing isn't going so well for me. i think i might have gotten too low a dose of liquid nicotine so am going back to get some other, stronger stuff. maybe i will try one of the fruity flavors instead....
    I'm seriously disappointed in myself...I really thought i was going to succeed this time around. i suck
    Jennifer

Don't be disappointed! Your still trying and that's the main thing! Just need to find what works for you!

Good luck!

The fact that you're wanting to quit and trying is a big first step! I smoke and even though I would like to quit, I posted on another thread that I'm going to have to get my anxiety a little more manageable before I attempt it... I tried the vapor cigs last year, and my experience was like many others have said-- I liked the taste of the mint (go figure ), but it was just too heavy for me to use as a "replacement." I felt like I was going to drop it out the window in the car, and I looked like I was smoking a joint instead of a cig the way I had to hold it . I did make the mistake of smoking it just like I would have a regular cig (puff for puff), and I did get pretty dizzy lol. No n* or anything-- just a little too much nicotine at once. My former psychiatrist told me NO WAY to Chantix with my anxiety / mental issues, haha. Nicorette helped me in the past, but it just wasn't enough-- or, rather, I just wasn't motivated enough to quit yet. One day.... I know you will be so glad you did when you quit. So much healthier!!

thanks guys-i really appreciate the encouragement; means a lot to me!!
    i agree, jennjt, i think Chanitx combined with my emet, anxiety and propensity towards anorexia would be a recipe for disaster. Plus I've heard horror stories about Chantix from people who aren't basket cases-can you imagine what it would do to people like us???
    its so weird that i enjoy smoking as much as i do cause I'm weird about bad smells, etc. you would think i would hate it.....
    my goal was to be smoke free by the time i return to work on Monday......so much for that :\
    Jennifer