Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default why no advice on anti- emetics?

I must have seen a thousand articles in papers & on the internet on what to do if yoy catch noro, & they all say drink lots of fluids to replace that lost from vting & d, but not one of these article suggests the use of anti-emetics & drugs to stop d. I can`t undersand this because I think that most intelligent people know that these symptoms do nothing to aid recovery, they just spread the virus around, so why can`t they recommend the best kind of drugs to ease the symptoms of noro instead of telling people to just put up with them.

Default Re: why no advice on anti- emetics?

Hey HairyFairy...logically, you'd think this would be the case however, that's the way we think as emets. Keep in mind that d and v don't really bother a majority of people. I mean sure, I bet even most non-emets don't enjoy d and v however, it's not really something that is first and foremost in their minds the way it is with us. They just grin it and bear it, and do what needs to be done to feel better (e.g. d and v).

Many reasons:
    1) most anti-emetics aren't that good at controlling nausea (anti-emetic, not anti-nausea). The ones that are, are hard to get, expensive, and doctors usually won't prescribe them for things like that. Most people who feel bad from the stomach flu find the constant nausea worse than the actual vomiting.

2) Generally you have to have them in advance.

3) Not to be terribly selfish, but do you really want the general public to be going and getting drugs that enable them to leave their houses and go to work while they are sick?

Hairyfairy, I think like you in some way. But what I'm most annoyed about is the people who have poor hygiene or the ones that just don't care about spreading it. I just wish people would have better hygiene, I mean come on, it doesn't take that much effort or time to wash them...

I am not a germaphobe. I only get mild anxiety when I v... I believe anti emetics are a crutch. They should be used only when the sv is causing dehydration, a person is at risk for aspiration, cancer treatment, severe morning sickness, etc. I do not think they should be given to an emet. I do not think anti emetics will help an emet recover. They do not treat the anxiety which is usually causing the n... in the first place.

If you disagree that is fine. It is each person's personal decision on whether or not to use them.

They can be crutch, they can also be helpful. I have them and almost never take them (maybe 3 in a year). I also have Xanax and rarely take it. I use them as a safety net because it really helps me to push myself. If I'm anxious about something I can remind myself "hey if you get sick, you can take these things and not be anxious or get sick." It genuinely encourages me to push myself more. This doesn't work for everyone.

However, taking them regularly is not good because you develop a sort of dependence on them. Like you worry that if you ever go to sleep without taking one, you'll get sick. Or go to work. Or whatever. If you can't function without, that's not good. But if it helps you push your limits, there's not much wrong with that.

I think I have one anti-emetic pill at work (along with ibuprofen and other normal pharmaceuticals), but I don't carry them with me.

If everyone was like Person54321....... Some take them when they hear any noise in their tummy. Same thing with Xanax. It is fine if taken once in a while. Xanax I believe can be very addictive.

I also believe that some of us need to take some SSRI or other pysch meds regularly. Some of us have a chemical inbalance or some sort of mental illness that causes us to need these meds. I find that my body runs toward the depression side. I have dysthymia. I take Prozac. It also helps with my anxiety. Some can deal with their anxiety without meds.

I do believe in taking Pepto, Tums, and stuff if you are really sick.

I'm terrified of Xanax. I take the lowest dose and never for more than 2-3 days. I've only taken it like 4 times? Just while my boyfriend was sick and once for a flight.

I'm starting Paxil in a week, we'll see how it goes. I'm optimistic.