Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New user new post old fears

My boy is sick with sv. I want to run a way and hide but I am the only one to help him through this which I know is worse for me than him. I am honestly going to lose sleep watching him to make sure he isn't going to v* on the couch (because I don't want him to infect the beds). I am going to lysol everything. I am going to drive myself crazy asking if he is ok every 5 mins because he made a funny noise. How do I live like this? I feel like a terrible mother. I feel like i'm crazy. I feel gross and disgusting and completely insane.

Default Re: New user new post old fears

That's exactly how I feel when my kids are sick. Over the years I have learned to keep it away from them as much as I could, just suffer in silence... So sorry for you. I know it's going to be a long week. How old is your son. I think it got a little better for me as my kids got older b/c they could handle the sickness better than when they were little.

He's 4. I feel like he gets this stuff more than he should. I'm even contemplating switching schools. He tries hard to make it to the trash or bathroom but it's night time that I'm so scared of. What's worse is I'm a nurse. I am by no means a pediatric nurse for that reason. I have been fighting bitter resentment for my husband who always seems to be away on business every single time my son is sick. Combine that with this irrational fear I have been fighting since I was 5 and the heartbreak of seeing your child sick and feeling even more useless than any normal parent and you get a narcotic depressed mother. I didn't think any online forum or even discussing it would help but at the very least it's a distraction.

How about putting some towels under him. That way you could throw them in the wash. You can't throw the couch in the wash too easily.

I had 2 kids. I have found along the way that there are a lot of moms that are not as calm/cool as a cucumber as they appear. A lot are of them have moments when they are frayed at the seams. The main thing is that he gets taken care of. Sounds like you are doing that just fine.

This can be a distraction. Have you ever tried therapy or meds? How about deep breathing exercises or meditation? They say if you practice relaxing, then eventually you can call upon that practice to work when you are having an anxiety attack. You can also try watching tv, reading a book, exercising, etc to distract your mind.

Hang in there. Night time is always the worst.

Sounds like your hubby's traveling is putting stress on you. Is there anyway he could travel less? My hubby once went on a business trip and we got 6" ice, major snow, wind chill, etc. Somehow the power stayed on. Both kids got sick while he was gone. Murphy's law. Hang in there.