Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Husbands/boyfriends/partners etc

I was just wondering.... How do any of you lot cope with having this problem and it affecting what you do, when you have to think about your partner too?

I ask this question because this season has hot me hard this year and I've barely been going out... Sometimes I'll try to do some stuff like going for coffee with my boyfriend but normally I'm panicky when I'm out and no fun to be with... I'm sure it's because it's winter and because we live together we still spend time together and that's not a problem... I just feel like I am ruining our relationship.

It has been getting me down so much recently, although he reassures me and is so so good to me and understanding, I know he must resent it and i just wanna be a better girlfriend to him because i know it works both ways.... I just wonder if anyone else has the same problem and if there's anything they do to combat the problem?

Default Re: Husbands/boyfriends/partners etc

I have a boyfriend that is really understanding. I feel as you do though and feel I am making the relationship difficult as I hibernate and rely on him to keep me company and spend time with me as I don't want to go out and see my friends. I feel like it puts a lot of pressure on him, and I know that I am difficult to be with as Im not the bag of fun I used to be I understand how you feel x

I spoke to my therapist because I feel like I put my boyfriend through hell sometimes by acting irrationally. We have been together for around 2 years, we are long distance and have been through a lot. She told me, if he wanted to leave me he would have plenty of reasons to leave me. We are a strong couple, and if your partner loves you he will take the good with the bad

I always reassure my boyfriend by telling him that when I start getting better and this awful season goes away (my emet and ocd is soooo much worse this winter) that I am gong to make up for everything I have put him through. I told him we will go to restaurants, eat junk food, go to the cinema, and go on holiday -so he can see light at the end of the tunnel! And I am setting goals for myself too!

I know how you feel lovey but put yourself first and focus on getting yourself better. Then you can focus on being a good girlfriend Just remind him you love him and tell him its temporary and you WILL get better. Because you WILL! If you need to talk you can always send me a message as reading your post mirrored EXACTLY how I feel xx

My boyfriend isn't very supportive of my phobia at all :/ he tries to understand, but he 'gets bored' of talking about it and changes the subject.
    I haven't seen him in nearly 4 days because he vomited and had diarrhea (sorry for being graphic lol) so I've stayed clear of him just incase it was a bug, although he's had flu symptoms as well (which i gave him) and he has a terrible immune system, and i reckon its normal flu because that can cause an upset stomach.
    ANYWAYS, I need some sort of reassurance because he's really down as we haven't seen eachother and we do miss eachother hehe.
    Umm, yeah... I am supposed to be seeing him on sunday and I'm just wondering if it will be safe to kiss him and cuddle him by then if it was a stomach bug? Bearing in mind he threw up on tuesday night until 1am on wednesday and went straight to sleep and slept through the night, woke up and had... 'the runs' for a few hours, and so did his mum; his mum a cold/flu thing anyway.

Any opinions/advice will be appreciated

My husband, though supportive in every other way, does NOT understand my emet.

He is supportive of me when I am legitimately panicking - like if we come into contact with someone who was sick, he will walk me out of the situation and calm me down. BUT when we are out at the mall or a restaurant and I break out my hand sanitizer he will roll his eyes at me, tell me I'm out of control and grab his food and start eating.

He tells me he's not going to do what I do. Granted, we've been together 5 years and he's only had a sv* once (in February) and it only lasted about 8 hours and he was out eating fast food the next day!

To him, v* is nothing more than an inconvenience and he thinks my fear of it is totally irrational.

My boyfriend is AWFUL about my phobia. If I have issues he'll start fights with me and if I'm flat out panicking he will pretend he can't hear me or leave or get angry at me. He will also sometimes start speaking really loudly in crowded public places about how crazy I am and people will stare at me. We don't really cope with it... I have been thinking about breaking up with him over his treatment of it.

@person5432 I really feel for you I hope you make the right decisions and choices regarding your relationship. X