Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can you get anti-emetics over the counter?

I've never taken any kind of medication for this phobia but I'm really running out of ideas.
    Can you get it at the pharmacy or chemist without having a prescription? Or do you need
    to be prescribed something by the doctor?
    And what exactly does the drug do? Stop v*? Or help with anxiety and n* too? I don't know
    much about anti-emetics at all.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Can you get anti-emetics over the counter?

The anti-emetic I use is Zofran, and it is by prescription only. It doesn't help with anxiety, really, unless the anxiety is ONLY because you are n*. I guess it kinda does, though, just knowing I have them? If that makes sense? They are great for real n* and are prescribed to patients undergoing chemotherapy / post-surgery after anesthesia / for pregnant women with severe morning sickness. They have always worked for me, except when I had SV-- didn't take enough milligrams early enough. I have a prescription for Phenergan, too, which does the same thing except makes me very very sleepy--- for, like, a day afterwards! I only take them in extreme emergency-- like once in 2 yrs... There are lots of OTC Meds that help with n*, as well.

Yes! In the US, I think it's called Dramamine on the package. In Canada, it's Gravol. I've never taken any anti-emetics from the US, but I do know that the ones here in Canada make you drowsy, but the same company also created non-drowsy ginger chewables that are actually more effective then the medicated stuff.

I looked it up, and these are the over the counter brand names that are sold in the US; Dramamine, Driminate, Gravol, Gravamin, Vomex, and Vertirosan. I've never seen Gravol sold in the US but then again, I've never had to look!

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

i use Dramamine but it makes you REALLY drowsy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiilyn_23 View Post
    I've never seen Gravol sold in the US but then again, I've never had to look!
    That's because the US brand of Gravol is Dramamine

I am unsure what is OTC for Australia, other Australians on here like KaydeeJayde or Skittles04 might have a better clue!

Try getting a hold of Kinetic to see if she can help you. She lives in Australia and I believe has used some otc/natural meds.

Hello hello I was summoned
    I have been prescribed with Maxolon (unfortunately NOT OTC) which i use in extreme emergencies, and when I had a bad bad flu virus a few months ago my stomach got a bit upset.
    I find that for anxiety-related nausea its best to stick with ginger tea or rescue remedies pastilles (blackcurrent is the best flavour!) - these are my heroes during the night if i wake up panicky and nauseous.
    I am currently on these chinese herbal supplements - http://www.fusionhealth.com.au/produ...ss_and_Anxiety
    They lower my general anxiety levels and therefore the nausea that comes with it! Its best to tackle your anxiety issues rather than smothering it with anti-emetics and SSRI's and all that sort of stuff. I tried st johns wort and it worsened my anxiety as did prozac (which made me very ill). Since opting for a natural approach, I hardly ever get nauseous from anxiety these days. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Kinetic; 12-23-2012 at 01:12 AM.

another quick over the counter anti emetic is phenergan- not madly strong, but you can take up to 50mg in a day

my favourite anti emetic is motilium, i don't get any side affects, its great, but you need a prescription

hope that helps!

Hey skittle,you can buy motilium over the counter here in the UK, is it really good at preventing *v?

Thanks Kinetic! I suffer from anxiety-nausea everyday, and ginger definitely seems to help. I'm going to have to pick up some of those rescue remedy pastilles as well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by honeycombe View Post
    Hey skittle,you can buy motilium over the counter here in the UK, is it really good at preventing *v?
    Yes, you can buy Motillium over the counter in the UK. It costs about £5 for 10. My family had a bad tummy bug two years ago. As soon as I started feeling symptoms, I took some. That was the first time I ever had an sv* and didn't v*.

You usually see it advertised on TV over the Christmas period!
    Last edited by dreamer; 12-23-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Just remembered something.

@dreamer - does Motillium actually stop you throwing up then? I'm hesitant about buying them because I don't really know what they are meant to do, but I've just worked myself up about norovirus by reading a daily mail article on it and I saw a comment on the article that said this person had caught norovirus and took anti-sickness tablets after throwing up and didn't throw up anymore. So i'm thinking if this is the case, maybe i'd best invest in case the worst happens!

Also I've just googled them and it says they help empty your stomach faster by moving contents into your bowel. Would this just encourage worse diarrhea do you think? I'd rather have bad d* than v* but I hate taking pills so really wanna check I know what I'm taking!

wow didn't realise you could get motilium over the counter! over here, i think we need a prescription because it comes in a pack of 100 tabs- i usualy take one a day, more if i'm nauseas.

LouiseR, yep it does stop you throwing up, it works by making your stomach contract so the food continues to go down, rather than up.

I swear by peppermint tea but I've found motilium has been really helpful in the past and it doesn't give you the runs at all. Just moves anything out of your stomach so you don't feel full or nauseous anymore. I think it explains it better on the website.

Motilium is the brand name, the active ingredient is domperidone. It works in two ways, first it causes tightening of the muscle in the top of the stomach to help push food through quicker therefore relieiving nausea.

Also it blocks D2 and D3 Dopeamine receptors. As you are probably aware nausea and vomiting does not come from the stomach, there is a section in the brain called the Chemoreceptor Trigger Zone, which triggers nausea or vomiting when it believe there is a substance in the stomach that need to be remove. When the brain triggers a vomiting attack it uses the D2 and D3 Dopeamine receptors to send message back to and from the stomach. Motilium or Domperidone blocks these signals, so although the stomach thinks there is an issue, the brain doesnt respond by sending a signal out to vomit.

Also it is believed that the reason emetophoics are very rearly, if ever are sick is because someone they are able to control this part of the brain and effectively will themselves not to be sick.

Motillium is not approved by the US FDA. Maybe be available with a script in US at a compounding pharmacy.

My favorite is Bonine, which is Meclizine. It's the same active ingredient in Less-Drowsey Dramamine, and prescription Antivert. It's for dizziness/nausea.
    I used to take an old anti-anxiety drug called Tranxene during my attacks, but I was out one day and remembered someone on here talking about the anti-emetics. I had some Bonine left over from a trip and took that and POOF, all better. Since my only fear is V*, my anxiety attacks start off with dizziness and n*. Once I stop those I feel better. I thought the Doctor would be mad, but he was thrilled because it's so much safer on my body/liver than Tranxene. I also love that when I run out of my script I can pick some up ANYWHERE.

At first they made me a BIT sleepy (Like, once I stopped moving I'd crash). That faded into me just sleeping well if I had taken one that day - now I can take 2 in 12 hours and not feel at all drowsy. So you do get used to it. The best part is the Bonine and most of the store-brands are sold as yummy chewable tablets - no water needed and I feel it gets into my bloodstream faster.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I have some old Zofran from when I was pregnant 3 years ago. I wonder if it's still good? You better believe I will risk taking an old Zofran over vomiting! I wish I could get a preventative prescription for my kids, though.

Thank you everyone for the answers! Really good to know considering I've never taking anything... apart from putting a bit of a fresh ginger in the homemade juice some mornings lol. Cheers!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:

My photography Tumblr: