Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Living with parents that don't understand my emetophobia.....

No matter how much I try to explain to them how much my phobia is affecting my life and ruining it, they just don't get it. I've also told them I've been feeling suicidal which I am and they're not taking me seriously for that either. They think I choose to be like this when I certainly do not. If I had one wish, it would be to cure this horrid phobia so I can lead a normal life again. I'm worried so much about them contacting the SV* as it seems to be absolutely everywhere at the moment.. They're fed up with me asking them to wash their hands after they come back from somewhere or saying I feel unwell. My parents are getting sick of me and said they're close to kicking me out of the house. They also said they're not going to help me anymore and I have to do things on my own (which I can't...). I always have to have someone with me when I go out, and they're the only people I can rely on. Well, 'was'... Now they're saying I should go into a home... I just don't know what to do... I cannot stop crying

Default Re: Living with parents that don't understand my emetophobia.....

Oh you poor thing! It's very hard for people who don't have this phobia to understand,maybe you could show them this site so they could see how many other people do actually suffer from this?

Thank you honey, I do agree. It makes an emets life so much harder and worse when you are surrounded by people that don't understand.. Wish I actually knew understanding people like you and everyone else on this forum in my life. That's a good idea, but I don't think they care. They will just say something on the lines of 'why are you even on there?' or 'I'm not going to bother' I just wish I could enjoy life instead of constantly worrying and being depressed. Having people around you that say 'get over it, no one likes being sick' or 'you're useless and a failure' doesn't help either... I guess people just think I'm crying for attention but that's not the case at all.... I generally need help.

Awh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's a shame when parents don't understand your phobia no matter what it may be, no phobia is ridiculous and we all have them.. I'm kinda similar I mean I think my parents have an idea but I don't really say much to them incase I get a similar reaction so atleast you're opening up to them which is good!

If I also had one wish it would either to get rid of SV* or to get rid of this phobia so don't worry, you're not alone in the slightest as there are many of us in the same situation. You're in control of your hygiene and if they don't wash their hands after they've been out even after you asking them then it's their fault, you've tried so if they don't bother doing it, make yourself the number 1 priority. You know how it works with washing hands so I'm sure even if they do contract it, you will be fine especially with your standards.

Thank you Joe, I agree with you. The lady I see at my CBT sessions has a phobia of rats, my Dad and herself thinks it is funny. I didn't laugh at all, because I can totally understand how it feels for someone else to have a phobia. I wouldn't wish a phobia on anyone..

You're right though, I always used to put other people before myself but it looks like I'm going to have to make myself the number 1 priority, since no one else cares or listens to what I have to say anymore.

I don't feel like living anymore, and the thought is getting more and more stronger each day. I've never been happy since I was in primary school, so that was at least 9 years ago now. I just don't know what I can do... I'm always feeling nauseous as well which others think is me just making it up.

I'm having another CBT session tomorrow.. Should I mention my suicidal thoughts? I can easily talk about it with anyone, although it upsets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    Thank you Joe, I agree with you. The lady I see at my CBT sessions has a phobia of rats, my Dad and herself thinks it is funny. I didn't laugh at all, because I can totally understand how it feels for someone else to have a phobia. I wouldn't wish a phobia on anyone..

You're right though, I always used to put other people before myself but it looks like I'm going to have to make myself the number 1 priority, since no one else cares or listens to what I have to say anymore.

I don't feel like living anymore, and the thought is getting more and more stronger each day. I've never been happy since I was in primary school, so that was at least 9 years ago now. I just don't know what I can do... I'm always feeling nauseous as well which others think is me just making it up.

I'm having another CBT session tomorrow.. Should I mention my suicidal thoughts? I can easily talk about it with anyone, although it upsets me.
    YES, you need to share with your therapist about your suicidal thoughts...they are nothing to play around with. Please, I hope you tell them so they can help you or guide you in the right direction.

This phobia is shitty and nobody understands.....they think it is "all in our heads" , which is true, but it does and can take hold of our lives.

There are people who really want help, but cannot afford to pay for the kind of help that is suggested for this type of phobia. I myself would love to be free from my fear of being sick....it does keep me from doing a lot of things I would do, if I did not feel so scared all the time.

I hope you get some help and feel better soon

Peace~
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear, is Fear Itself- Franklin D. Roosevelt
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please tell your doc right away about your thoughts. It can and will get better! Prayers Hugs

Hi guys. I mentioned it to my therapist and she's awfully concerned. They're going to get me some help quickly. The reason I didn't want to bring it up was because my parents might put me in a mental home or something.... Which is something they would actually do.. They think I'm crazy and a burden as it is, because of the way I act with this horrid phobia. Oh Cynna, thank you for the hugs!