Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Constantly feeling n*....

My n* has been absolutely awful in the past week or so and I'm at wits end with it now. It hasn't only been this week, but since August.. It's been on and off for these past 4 months.

There is something that makes my nausea worse. I get this feeling like I need to burp or something. I mean, I can feel it come up but most of the time they just don't feel like burps, if you know what I mean? Sorry if TMI but......... it feels like whatever I've previously ate or drank is coming back up sometimes, but only goes as far as right at the back of my throat (The area slightly above your colar bones). Then other times, it just feels as if I have non-stop wind inside of me but cannot pass it all, if that makes sense. I remember having rice the other day, and literally 5 - 10 minutes or so later (sorry if TMI again...) it felt as if I could feel some rice right at the back of my throat, or that some of it was coming back up. It just makes my nausea worse!

I do not like burping anymore, because I can never tell if it is a burp or not that is coming up. Most of the time, my burps need to be forced quite a lot to pass, and then sometimes I get this horrible v* taste in my mouth.. I have to get a drink straight away afterwards to clear the taste.

People are saying I may have GERD/Acid Reflux, but I'm pretty sure you get the burning sensation with that? When I feel something come up, it doesn't ever burn at all. Although, sometimes I reckon I do have heartburn because I can get a mild like burning sensation in my stomach, my chest or my throat. But it's just that nausea feeling that's annoying me so much, and that feeling of something backing up into the back of my throat as it just convinces me it's v* trying to come up..

I have a question.. if whatever it is that's coming up is v*, surely it wouldn't just stop at the back of my throat? I mean in past experience it was something I couldn't control. I think I would feel a lot better if I found out that it isn't v* that's coming up. But if it isn't then what could it be? I mean surely if it was GERD it would feel burny right? Then again, I've heard some people that get silent reflux..

Anyway, it seems the severity of this nausea is getting worse, and I'm really scared I will v* one of these days. But why? I haven't even got FP* or the SV*..

edit: I also feel more nauseous every time I swallow as well for some reason. My throat also makes gurgling noises whenever I swallow and there's a lump there too.
    Last edited by Rls1994; 12-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: Constantly feeling n*....

Hello I am new to the site. when i am anxious i feel as though there is a lump/food/V in the back of my throat. It.s not... its where your throat tightens because of anxiety. I also get reflux and it doesnt burn it's not V though its just wind with acid. I find sucking a very good peppermint (something like Altoids) help and warm water that's been boiled and left to cool to drink helps.

Hi sezmondo, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the reply, I never even thought of your throat tightening or anything, it definitely makes sense. However, I've only recently ate quite a lot and the nausea feeling has subsided, so I guess that was due to me not eating enough, because to be honest, I haven't hardly eaten in the past 4 days or so. Still getting the food or whatever it is coming up though.

Hi thanks for the welcome.. I joined because i have had a bad week with my emetophobia. Yes you will do because your stomach will have too much acid because it has not had to break down any food. Like when babies get it it's because they only drink milk and if a baby has it it usually subsides when they start eating solids (this what happened to my son, and this is what the dr. said happens ), so i get mine when i am stressed and can not eat a vicious circle :0(

It's most likely just anxiety, you seem paranoid with this whole SV* which I can hardly blame you since it seems like it's everywhere yet it's not as big as it sounds.
    I know that feeling when it feels like there's something stuck at the back of your throat and can trigger nausea or make it worse, I'm sure you've done this but just try drink a little more and maybe eat a little more until since it could be lack of food. You can rule out SV* since you haven't V* or D*

Hello Joe, thanks for the reply. To be honest with you, I'm not all that worried about the SV* anymore much. I know for sure I do not have the SV*, because as you said, no v* and no d*, which is good. I'm just confused, anxiety definitely seems to make the whole sensation worse, but even when I'm not anxious, it's still there. It's almost like the food and drink I'm consuming isn't even staying down like it should be. I'm losing sleep over this because I need to sit up when I feel something come up because I'm scared it's v*. As a matter of fact, it does feel like v*, but it only goes as far as the back of my throat. Strange thing is, I don't salivate more or gag, it just feels extremely unpleasant. My stomach is also making popping sounds and gurgling noises a lot and I'm not even hungry. If I sorted out this issue, it would cure about 70% of my anxiety to be honest! The other 30% being about the SV* obviously. :P

You know, I'm not so nervous about SV* either whether it's because of the lack of cases in my city I don't know but I seem to be dealing with it quite well myself. It could be a few things, stomach cramp, anxiety, hunger pains or something else but I doubt it's going to cause you to V* since you've had it for a long time now and you haven't until this point I think you're in the clear there. I've had a few times when v* has come to the tip of my throat asif it's about to come out but then gone back down which is horrible since it's so unexpected and happens so suddenly.

Hmm, I've been told that feeling may be due to acid reflux, but I'm not sure. My Dad has it and has a weak esophagus so it does seem to run in the family. Strangely though, no one in my family has any phobias. Just me. Maybe that's the reason they don't understand.. I don't get much stomach cramps to be honest, except sometimes but it goes quickly on itself.

you can get heart burn with no feeling of burning in your chest. I only get the burning feeling when it's really bad and the burning feeling is then in my throat. I mainly feel very full in my chest and have an unsettled tummy with lots of burping and wind.