Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just been to the pub.

Hi, first time poster here, and in a state of panic.

I have emetophobia, although i dont think i have it as bad as a lot of people, i think its quite mild in comparison to some others.
    The only thing I worry about is being in a situation where someone v* and i dont have a way out. I dont feel the need to wash my hands all the time, i dont activley avoid situations where someone might v*, but when someone does, its game over.

I go to the pub quite a lot but i never drink more than one pint and i always leave before others get too drunk.
    Anyway, i went out tonight expecting one pint and back before 10. turns out i had a really good time, seeing lots of people i havent seen for years and meeting lots of new people. at around half 10 i bumped in to a friend who i hadn't seen for a few months. he seemed totally sober to me, holding a normal conversation and seemed normal. about half an hour later i told him i was going home (he lives near me) and he said he would come too.
    We walked out of the pub and he headed in the direction of the quickest route to walk home. I said "come this way, ive got my car, were you going to walk home?" and he said "no, im too pissed" Warning barriers went up. I'd been around drunk people all night but if he was in my car i wouldnt be able to get out if he was sick.
    Next thing i know he walked over to a wall, bent over and v*.

I turned around and LEGGED it to my car as fast as i could and drove home. I just left my friend in the middle of the street, whats wrong with me?

Also, during the night when we were talking he was breathing on me, what if he was ill not because he was drunk but because he had a virus, and now ive got that virus?

I now remember why i never used to go out, and i wont be going out again.

Default Re: Just been to the pub.

Do not let emet make you a hermit. Sounds like he was just drunk. I would have run away faster than you did. Tell him if he asks that you thought you saw an ex girlfriend or something and did not realize he was sick. He prob wont remember it that clearly anyway.

Welcome. See post Am I the Only One by defying gravity.

First of all to put you mind at rest, you cannot catch a stomach virus by breathing it in. The only way you can catch it is if someone vomits very close (and I mean within a foot of you, or vomits on you) or they do not wash their hands and contiminate a surface or food. Stomach Viruses that cause vomiting replicate in the cells of the small intestine and are only found in the same area. It is not possible for the virius to be aerolised, it is only possible for the virus to be either thrown up or the other end.

Secondly as regards to leaving you friend, do not worry about it, as you have a condition like many of us on here that is nearly impossible to control. If I had a friend who was really sick, I wouldnt give them a lift either. It was his own fault for having way to many, and he cannot expect you to take him home knowing he could well vomit in your car. However it may be worth speaking to him and letting him know your Phobia and that you can control what happens sometimes. What you have to remember is that nearly everyone has a phobia or some kind yet Emetophobia is the only one that people dont like to speak about.

Regards,

Jon

There are emets here that freak out when someone else v... whether or not they could be contagious or not. There are not tons here, but there are more of us everyday. Its funny that there seems to be 4 types of emets. Some have a combo of the types. Who knew?