Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Wisdom Teeth

Default Wisdom Teeth

I'm getting all 4 wisdom teeth out tomorrow and two people I know who had theirs out by the same oral surgeon said they both v* after. One of them said she took Vicodin and that's why. I think they're supposed to put some anti-nausea medicine in my IV but I'm still scared. I've never been put to sleep or had surgery before so I'm scared. Have any of you had your wisdom teeth out, and how was your experience?

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth

Don't want to scare you. Ask doc for any and all anti emetics possible. Read if you choose......(Highlight to read)I had my done in the office. I v.. later. It was awful. My mom was going to the bathroom at the time. We only had one bathroom. I v... all over her bed. It hurt like hell. It burned. I survived though. Hope it goes well for you. You will not feel any pain from the surgery. You should pretty much sleep during the proceedure.

I had mine out under general anaesthetic a few years ago and I didn't vomit, and I didn't have any anti nausea meds in the IV. I got an infection in the site though a few days after even though i was obsessively cleaning my mouth and everything and I was fine but it was totally painful so clean your mouth exactly how the surgeon or your dentist tells you to you'll be fine! I hope your recovery is quick and not too painful.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hopefully my experience was the exception to the rule. Maybe the drugs did not agree with me or something. That was in 1987. Things are probably better now. There are better and new drugs. Boy I am old.

I had mine out last year, and I CANNOT take pain meds they make me super sick. So I took Tylenol and Ibuprofen(mostly Tylenol) and I was fine but you will be fine! Just tell them your situation and to put something in your IV!! you will do great.

I had mine out in hospital under general anaesthetic in the early '90s, I didn't have any antiemetics because I didn't even know back then there was such a thing! I survived, even felt hungry after my op, was starving! I was terrified I would v but I never did:-)ask fir antiemstic and you will be fine!

Most of the vomitting stories you hear after surgeries like this are due to pain killers. Percoset and Vicodin can cause a lot of nausea, so if you are going to be taking them ask for an anti emetic and to take before hand and make sure to eat with the painkillers. I have has teeth pulled though, and first off, I never got sick, and second, i was sore, but the pain wasnt so bad that I just took Motrin. If it will make you feel better, I had to have the whole top row of my mouth capped due to my teeth weakening from my pregnancy. They put me under for 4 HOURS to drill down all my teeth. I woke up STARVING! I was sleepy and a little sore, but completely fine. You will be too!

I had all 4 of mine out at separate times, but only under novacaine. The last one was terrible-it took the doctor over 90 minutes to extract it cause it was so impacted. He kept begging me to let him put me under, but i couldnt do it-i was just too afraid. i never did V from any of the extrations but I did get a dry socket with the last one and that is probably the most excruciating pain ive ever been in. Had I known then and the anti-emet drugs been available back then, I might have opted for the general.
    Just ask for a good dose of anti-emetics in your IV and follow post-op directions to the T and you will breeze through.
    Good luck
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I had 2 out and never felt n* and never v* even when I took the vicodin. Everyoneis different and I think most people get n* or v* because of the painkillers which are known for that.

Thank you all for your replies. It was a lot easier than I thought and I haven't had any n* so far!

Glad it went well. When I had mine done, I was not functional like you are. I must have been pretty stoned. I would not have been able to get on the net. Really, the net was not invented then. Al Gore and his wife were busy going after rock music lyrics and Twisted Sister then.

Yay! Glad it went well for you! I was going to post that I had mine out 9 years ago (doesn't seem that long) and did absolutely fine. I didn't take the pain killers though as every single person I've ever heard of getting ill it was because of those da*n things! lol. I took extra strength tylenol/motrin alternated every 4 hours and the antibiotics and steroids they gave me and though I had an icky stomach from the blood for a little while I felt much better after I was able to eat some mashed potatoes and pudding Best bit of advice -- DO NOT USE A STRAW or swish your mouth out until your teeth are HEALED. Nothing that can injure that clot because a dry socket hurts like a mother!!! When you go to rinse your mouth or brush your other teeth literally put the water in your mouth and move your head around to move the water... NO swishing!! lol.
    *The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.* -- M. Scott Peck

Got mine in 2009- was completely fine! Just sore. Glad you're ok.

deleted post
    Last edited by kastorpollux; 01-04-2013 at 08:43 PM.

I had an AMAZING anesthesia lol. They told me that I either would have the best dreams, or best sleep ever- I got the best sleep ever. Woke up, felt totally fantastic, and wasn't super emet at that point so didn't even consider if it'd make me feel gross. It wore off super quickly (cuz my body does that with all meds), and I didn't take any painkillers cuz honestly, I was stubborn and figured if I could live through braces pain with advil, I could live through wisdom teeth pain with advil. And I did! Pain was the worst on the third day, and even then it was totally tolerable. All in all it was super easy and no issues whatsoever.

Good for you Nina! Hope the recovery is pain-free, n-free, and stress-free!

I actually have a question, since I'm terrified of getting my wisdom teeth out (I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I guess it's better than starting a new thread). What was everyone's experience with the gauze they put at the back of your mouth to soak in the blood? I can't tolerate having cotton wads near my tongue when I get fillings done... does waking up with a bunch of gauze in the back of your mouth make you gaggy? It sounds dumb, but this is probably my worst fear regarding the whole experience. :/

I had mine out in March and was so worried about getting sick. I was under anesthesia and my stomach was fine, I was so worried about nausea so I didn't take the Vicodin but I took tylenol & ibuprofen instead.
    As for the gauze...fold it up small enough so that you're not constantly touching it with your tongue and you won't gag.

Nothing to worry about I had all 4 under general anaesthetic in 2010, I spent ages worrying about it and was on the verge of refusing to go to surgery. It was a waste of time worrying about it, they give you anti-s drugs as they don't want you to be s cos it would mess up the healing. As for the gauze your mouth will feel numb so you won't feel even when you come round the area still feels very numb from the pain killers. Please don't worry you will be fine and in fact will wake up feeling good after a nice sleep.

Is it only the UK that do wisdom teeth removal under local anaesthetic? It seems like other countries make such a big deal out of it.

It has been a while since I had mine out (late 80's), but you could choose to have it down in the hospital under anesthesia or in a oral surgeons office. The Oral Surgeon was not allowed to put you totally under, but I slept and do not remember a thing. Lived in WV, USA at the time.

I had my wisdom teeth out at 27. I put it off for YEARS because I was afraid of throwing up afterward. I asked for anti-nausea meds in my IV, but my oral surgeon refused to give them preventatively. I just didn't take the Vicodin, and my stomach felt PERFECT! I was probably experiencing a little more pain than I had to, but I'll take being in pain all day over throwing up.

That's good to hear it all went smoothly. I'm supposed to get mine out but I hate the thought of someone cutting through my gum to find teeth that aren't even close to coming out haha. I've heard so many successful stories though so it doesn't surprise me all went well
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:

My photography Tumblr:

Quote Originally Posted by jotini View Post
    Is it only the UK that do wisdom teeth removal under local anaesthetic? It seems like other countries make such a big deal out of it.
    No, they do it here in the U.S. as well, it just depends on the surgeon/dentist and the teeth. If the teeth are like mine were, impacted and pointing foward, surgery under local anesthetic would have taken hours and they would only have removed one tooth per visit... no thanks! This would have hiked the cost up immensely and seriously... ugh. Doing it under general allowed them to work faster and get all four teeth out in one day. But I've known plenty of people who just go in and have them pulled or removed one or two at a time under local.
    *The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.* -- M. Scott Peck

I had all four removed under twlight anesthesia in the office about 21 years ago. I don't think I was nauseuous but I know I didn't v*. I had my tonsils out 7 years ago and that was general anesthesia. I remember I fought for four months with seven different antibiotics before I gave in and had them removed (it was the having to sleep upright in the computer chair for two weeks that made me change my mind). I read a lot online about it and how people sometimes v* afterwards--which is why I fought against having a tonsillectomy--because they inadvertently swallow blood during the procedure. Wisdom teeth, I would imagine, can have the same effect.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't take the pain medicine because I was sure it would make me sick. Ibuprofen makes me sick. The pain from the surgery wasn't that bad and I didn't feel n* the whole time while I was recovering. When it did hurt, I took tylenol because it's supposed to be best in the stomach.