Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Bio-Feedback?

Hello Everyone! My name is Shane. I have posted only about once on this
    site, but I do indeed consider myself an emetophobe. I am extremely
    scared of actually v*******, so I decided yo take the initiative to consult
    with a therapist.

I have had about 12 sessions with my therapist to little avail. I am pretty
    comfortable with therapist and she claims she will most definitely cure
    me of the phobia, but it will obviously take time. I am trying not to expect
    a quick fix to my phobia, but I am a little frustrated with the expenses of
    the treatment. Basically, I have already paid $290 and I just got another
    invoice for $90. It is about $30 a session, so you can imagine what costs
    will ensue, if I have several sessions.

So basically, my therapist has been using biofeedback, which she claims
    will help me learn to control my brain-waves, anxiety, and concentration.
    I am a skeptical of the "biofeedback" technique, as it doesn't seem to
    related to my phobia's condition and my fear is not really any milder yet.
    In general, I arrive at her office we talk about my issues for approximately
    30 minutes depending on whether new issues are addressed, but after
    that we spend the remaining time on the BrainMaster (biofeedback
    machine).

Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has been successful with
    biofeedback treatment? Am I doing the right thing? Any success stories in
    overcoming the fear? I have read the advice to professionals letter, but I
    figure I should trust my therapist with her expertise? Or should I not?
    Shane H.

You know what.. I just remembered while reading that, that a long time ago they did try bio feedback with me. I agree that while it's helpfull in learning to relax during normal daily life issues, it probably isn't the best plan of attack for a phobia. What you need is congnitive behavioral therapy. I am sorry that you are having to spend so much money and getting not much relief.

I am glad to hear that you realize that it will take time to conquer this and that you are willing to work hard. I think it's good to question things where our well being is concerned. Why should you spend session after session working on controling your heartbeat and body temp. I mean, that in conjunction with showing you pictures of people being sick or you talking about yourself being sick is really the only way I see biofeedback really being agressive enough for this phobia.
    \"This too shall pass\"

It sounds more like neurofeedback than biofeedback, but what do I know of either - not much. As for this particular technique, I don't have a lot of research in the area. However, $30 per session is darn cheap...and with this complex of a phobia, I wouldn't expect you'd get very far but toward trust of your therapist in 12 sessions. It took me 24 to even get started when I got serious about therapy. 25 sessions later (50 in total) and I considered myself cured. Now I'm 100 sessions on top of that, and consider myself beyond cured...which is how I'd like to keep it. For the bargain price of $15,000 I have managed to reverse the complete f*****d-upedness of my entire childhood. Not bad. My last car cost $20,000 and it won't take me nearly as far on the "road of life" as the therapy did.

Just a little perspective.

Good luck with your therapy! (And remember, there's no "quick fix" to anything in this world)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh thanks Sage for replying. I particularly wanted to hear your opinion on
    the situation, as you are most definitely qualified to answer my questions.
    Yeah I missed this weeks appointment, as I was out of town. But I am
    going to keeping going til' as long as necessary. I hope it works... I figure
    that if my mind created such a f***ed up phobia, it can probably "reverse"
    it. Thanks again!
    Shane H.