Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default going to the dentist tomorrow :(

I have a dental appointment for exams and a cleaning tomorrow. I am very nervous I hate going because of germs and I don't trust if they sterilize. I moved to a new area so I'm trying a new dentist....

Please help calm me down! I'm hoping I don't catch anything tomorrow Do you guys think I will be ok? Should I tell the hygentist that I a germaphobe and tell her about my concerns? I never told my old one because I've gotten worse since then.

My last dentist put his hand in my mouth without a glove

Default Re: going to the dentist tomorrow :(

You have the right to refuse any dental/medical technician access to your mouth if they are not using gloves or for any other reason. It is your body. Go online and get any info you can on the dentist. If they were not following procedures, then there would be complaints that you can view. You have the right as a patient to make sure that all instruments going into your mouth are clean and sterile. You can ask about this in way that does not offend, but shows your general concern. If anything does not feel right to you, leave.

Good luck. Most dentists are really good. My sis used to be a dental assistant. They have machines for sterilizing instruments.

Hope it goes good. You may get a cool new toothbrush out of the visit.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I can only talk on behalf of where I live which is Britain, however surgical equipment (which included them mirrors, the sharp pointy thing for teeth etc) comes individually in a sterilised bag. They would be sterilised at the manufactures and shipped over. It is also in Britain, Illegal for any Dentist to use any objects that are either not sterilised or have been reused.

Also I would definitely tell your dentist about your phobia. He is a medical professional, and part of his training would be to empathise with his patients. I dont know if you live in Britain, however as YOU are paying YOUR dentist and he is effectively providing a service, you have the RIGHT to ask your dentist to wear gloves. In fact if I used a dentist who didnt wear gloves I would make a format complaint. I would ask him to do whatever it is you think would be the most hygenic: ie: wash hands, wear gloves etc. I mean what is the worst he is going to do, he could throw you out of his surgery, then you would make him look foolish by taking it to the papers.

Before you walk in their tomorrow do one thing - Sit and talk to yourself and keep reminding yourself that you are a CUSTOMER not a PATIENT and that you are the one that is in control.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry, Dentists are usually very sterile and hygienic!

Thank you guys! You're right....I am in control! Plus, there are other dentists to choose from if I have to walk out. My only other concern is that they want to do X-rays first, and I wouldn't want to have to go through several x-rays at different dentists because of the radiation :\

Also: I always panic that even though they have gloves on, because they may have used them while working on another person and didn't change them!

For what it's worth, I went to the dentist a week ago and was anxious like you but did totally fine both during and after!

I've never actually been one to worry about the dentist. I once had a blood test and the guy wasn't wearing a glove yet and I was about to tell him, but he remembered later lol. If that ever happens again, definitely speak up! I know it's a hard place to talk, especially with your mouth wide open and instruments possibly in it. It's really against all hygiene practices if a dentist doesn't wear gloves. All instruments would be sterilised- I used to work at a Vet and they were so meticulous about sterilising instruments in this huge machine that steams everything at a seriously high temperature- if they do it for animals, they would do it even more meticulously for humans I'm guessing. You could tell someone you're a germaphobe if that makes you comfortable If you're not impressed than cancel the appointment right then and there! You'll do fine Trust yourself on this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you guys! I think I'm ready!

This is what happened when I got there: filled out my info on the iPad, and while I stood at the desk, the hygentest that was supposed to be cleaning my teeth today was telling the receptionist that her husband called, telling her that their son had a stomach ache this morning, but didn't mention feeling nauseous, and that he was throwing up now. So of course I am panicking!(Plus it was very unprofessional of them to mention that in front of me....I was standing RIGHT in front of them!)

So I attempt to go in for the cleaning, and right before the X-rays, the girl tells me that the insurance won't be covering the most important x-ray(It won't be covered until February, and they forgot to tell me when they confirmed)....and the girl says we will work something out with the dentist because she is very fair about it(which was nice of her)

So I called my dad and asked him if I should do it, and he told me to wait. I am a broke college student lol

So I told them that I would reschedule and made an appointment for February. Then, as I'm driving away, they told me they hoped I didn't drive too far because they said that the dentist would let me have the cleaning anyway today, and that I could come back in, which was super nice of her.

At that point, I was still feeling a little queezy about the hygentest's son throwing up, so I thanked her and told her that I will just come back in February. I probably would have come back in had she not mentioned her son *v*

Good for you for going there. You left for reasons other than emet. Proud of you.

Sort of lol. Thank you!

Im a dental nurse! Trust me yourl be fine. Dental practices are regulated to sterilise every instrument and mostly everything is disposable and single use so only be used on you! Its fine. Xx

there seem to be loads of people on here who work in dentistry