Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Don't worry... this isn't graphic...

This summer I'm working three jobs (I'm exhausted, but that's a whole other issue!) and one of those includes babysitting my cousins who are 13 and 10 four days a week. This week I babysat Monday and all was well.Tuesday and today were a different story!

On Tuesday morning I got there at my usual time (about 8) and fell asleep on the couch as I always do. I woke up at about 9:30 when my younger cousin Miranda came down and was surprised that Kayla wasn't awake yet. I didn't think toomuch of itandfell back to sleep and woke up again about 10:30 to find them both watching tv. Kayla told me that her stomach was hurting really badly and she just didn't feel good at all. I could tell by looking at her that she was not kidding, she was pale and shakey and just didn't look well. I felt her forehead and she had no fever so I got her some crackers and peanut butter with some coke to sip on and told her that maybe she'd feel better if she ate. She ate andsaid shedid feel better for a bit. Before I left to take Miranda to dance class at around 3:00she said she was feeling worse. I told her to try and get some sleep and that I would call later that night to see how she was feeling.When I called her mom said a bit better, she was eating some soup and resting... so things were looking up.

Then, when I called yesterday (I babysit for someone else on Wednesdays) to ask how she was doing my aunt said she'd run a fever off and on since the night before and while she wasn't nauseated anymore (she didn't get sick), she was having horrible cramps and diarreah.

I went back this morning thinking she should definitely be feeling better by now and found her lying doubled over on the couch I knew it wasn't good. My aunt said she was running a fever still and though she'd woken up hungry she tried to eat some toast and the cramps started again. She took her to the doctor this morning since she's had strep in her stomach before (which made herEXTREMELY ill) and didn't want to risk waiting too long again. Though the strep test came back negative the doctor was pretty sure that she has a bacterial infection (either Shigellosis (sp?) or Rotovirus) in her intestines and that it's likely she caught it at the pool since she hasn't been around any sick kids.

For a bit of a triumph... I am proud of myself because while all of this was occuring I really wasn't panicing. Yes, I'll admit I was thinking to myself "Oh Lord, please don't let her get sick", but I didn't have the anxiety attack that I usually would have. I just felt SO bad for her and didn't want her to go through that. The doc also said that there's absolutely nothing they or wecan do for her to make her feel better until the lab results come back, hopefully tomorrow, because if not they'll have to wait til monday. It'sthe worst feeling in the world to be sitting there watching someonescreamingand crying in agony and not be able to do a single thing tomakeit go away.All I could do was to get her water and gatorade (she refuses to eat, can't blame her!) and try to talk her through the pain or take her mind off of it. Ugh... it was horrible.

So if you guys don't mind, please say a little prayer for her that she feels better REALLY soon. She's such a sickly child anyway with asthma and allergiesthat bother her tummy... shecould really use a break.

Thanks!
    ~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Poor child, thats really awesome you were there for her! Its so hard to watch a child suffer :/

I have alot of friends with kids and am pretty close to some of the kids despite being scared they will get sick or pass something to me

Hey Rachel, my prayers have be sent. You remained so calm, good for you!!!! I was on the website about your little friend Rachel. I was reading the journals. I wonder if she got my card and stickers? She is precious.

Good Lord, that's absolutely horrible! I completely understand how you're feeling. My grandmother had knee surgery two years ago and she was doubled-up in complete and utter agony. She had to do physical therapy which was all but the willpower for her to not pass out during each session. I love my grandmother, and I felt so helpless. This woman has been through so much she's gotten the reputation for being a friend to pain.

My prayers definitely go out to you! Go out to anyone suffering! It's treacherous, and every day when I'm confronted with my problems I try to stop and contemplate how many suffer (such as your cousin) and the comparison is squat! I hope your cousin gets well soon! @>-'--,-- That's tragic and it saddens me that people so young have to suffer such.

Oh that is so sad!! I'll pray for her