Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Possible to delay V* long enough that virus passes?

I'm about 98% sure that I've got some sort of stomach bug right now. I'm home visiting for the holidays, and my best friend's twin was sick a few days ago, although nobody else in their family has become ill. My best friend insists that she didn't interact with her brother while he was ill, but they are both staying in their parents house, and I have been hugging and kissing her all week.

Tonight, I have been struggling not to v*. I have bands on both wrists, am popping peppermint gum, ginger pills and candied ginger, sipping ginger ale and taking Emetrol. The severe waves of nausea have become less frequent, but I'm still terrified. I haven't eaten in a few hours and have horrific menstrual cramps right now as well, so I know that's not helping, but I'm so afraid.

I know that v*ing is not medically necessary during a noro episode, so I was just wondering if it is possible to delay v*ing for so long that the virus passes without it happening.

Any help would be fantastic!

Default Re: Possible to delay V* long enough that virus passes?

Yes, it is possible to do that. Please read my Vomiting FAQ for more information and tips: http://emetophobia.byethost15.com/vomiting.html

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I get n* bad when I have cramps. That could be it, try some Motrin or something for the pain and I bet the n* will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Natiebear View Post
    I get n* bad when I have cramps. That could be it, try some Motrin or something for the pain and I bet the n* will go away.
    No, the pain I get with cramps is something that even prescription meds barely make a dent in. It usually causes mild n*, but absolutely nothing like last night. I stayed awake til this morning (about 12 hours after I started really feeling sick) experiencing severe waves, and although I still don't feel back to normal, the major danger is passed. I've never been that close for that long.

I fight it every time. I breathe deep and swallow a lot til it passes. I've gagged a few times, but I haven't actually V*ed since 1993! I had to do it three times tonight, but I'm feeling better and my stomach is actually growling like it's empty (and it'll stay that way til tomorrow night, at least. lol)
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I do not think so. Doug would be the expert on this one. Hey Doug.........

I've been able to delay it and not v*, although I did have d* for a few days. I didn't eat because I couldn't, but I think not eating helps to keep you from v*. Your body needs to focus on killing off the sv rather than digesting anything you try to eat.

You should only not eat if you are 100% sure you are sick with a virus. If you are sick, then eat if you feel up to it. A lot of members have trouble discerning anxiety nausea from illness n... and other things. A lot of members struggle with eating disorders that may or may not related to emet. Our bodies need nourishment to function and fight off bugs.
    Last edited by Cynna; 01-02-2013 at 01:33 AM.

The answer is no. Holding it in will not make it last longer.

http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...orovirus-Facts

I've read so much on Noro. What I've read is that it's not really necessary to v when you have it. It's just how our bodies react to it. It will not prolong it or anything.

I think if you had it all those remedies would have made you sick. I've tried them on my kids when they were ill in the past and it just made it worse. Maybe you just have a plain ol tummy ache.