Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation PLEASE Help!!! Exposed!! Feeling Doomed!

Ok, so earlier I went out to the local outlet mall to hit up the after Christmas sales. I was actually feeling pretty good, and pretty proud of myself for venturing out where there are bound to be lots of people (I'm claustrophobic in addition to, or perhaps because of, my emet.!) Anyways, I was in the Kate Spade outlet, happily browsing different bags and wallets when I hear a woman ask the sales woman what the smell on the other side of the store was. The sales woman replied "oh, that's from the floor cleaner because someone just threw up in here." I instantly dropped the wallet I was looking at and ran out of there and to the bathroom as fast as humanly possible so I could wash my hands, but I'm just feeling hysterical on the inside. If I could smell something, then there are/were particles in the air, and I was touching things that probably had V particles on them. I know I washed my hands, but god knows what I absentmindedly touched, like my bag or my coat zipper. I feel like just sitting here and crying because I feel so helpless and doomed. I'm so mad at myself for going there, even though I know that rationally I can't just live in my house 24/7. My stomach is just in knots and I have a killer headache, all from the panic/worry I'm sure. I feel like I'm just waiting for the N and inevitably, V to hit. Please help...any advice/reassurance would be SO greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: PLEASE Help!!! Exposed!! Feeling Doomed!

If it helps, just because you smelled it doesn't mean you were in contact with any particles! If you washed your hands before touching anything on your face - and I would also recommend maybe using hand sanitizer wipes on your purse/wallet, coat zipper, etc. (at least that's what I would do!) - then you are probably just fine!! Also, if it helps, maybe tell yourself that the person might have been sick because she was pregnant...which is not contagious!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyBelly View Post
    Ok, so earlier I went out to the local outlet mall to hit up the after Christmas sales. I was actually feeling pretty good, and pretty proud of myself for venturing out where there are bound to be lots of people (I'm claustrophobic in addition to, or perhaps because of, my emet.!) Anyways, I was in the Kate Spade outlet, happily browsing different bags and wallets when I hear a woman ask the sales woman what the smell on the other side of the store was. The sales woman replied "oh, that's from the floor cleaner because someone just threw up in here." I instantly dropped the wallet I was looking at and ran out of there and to the bathroom as fast as humanly possible so I could wash my hands, but I'm just feeling hysterical on the inside. If I could smell something, then there are/were particles in the air, and I was touching things that probably had V particles on them. I know I washed my hands, but god knows what I absentmindedly touched, like my bag or my coat zipper. I feel like just sitting here and crying because I feel so helpless and doomed. I'm so mad at myself for going there, even though I know that rationally I can't just live in my house 24/7. My stomach is just in knots and I have a killer headache, all from the panic/worry I'm sure. I feel like I'm just waiting for the N and inevitably, V to hit. Please help...any advice/reassurance would be SO greatly appreciated!!
    To catch norovirus from vomit that is aerolized, you would need standing next to them when it happened (the virus can travel at the most 10 feet). If it has been cleaned up then very few virus particles will remain, and those that do would be on the floor. Plus if you went straight to the toilet and washed your hands, then you would have washed the virus particles off. You have next to no chance of catching the virus by the methods you have described.

You should be fine. I would lysol the bottom of your shoes though, just in case. When I was 8 months pregnant I went to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and I walked into a fresh pool of vomit. I was horrified! I literally stepped right in it and then noticed a girl running to the bathroom and still actively vomiting. I panicked. Luckily my mom who is a RN was with me and instructed me to either walk to the car and then remove my shoes and throw them in the trash, or I could go and buy lysol spray and do a good cleaning in the restroom. I opted to throw them away and sanitized my feet and then drove home barefoot, lol. I know it sounds ridiculous, but this is how us emits survive. I worried incessantly for 2 days and never got sick. So i really think you will be fine.

I think you'll be fine. Washrooms always smell bad. Look, in 2010 I was in a subway train in Paris and a lady v* all over the place and I was 6 feet away. I did not get sick. You will probably NOT get sick.