Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Self Induced Therapy?

I had a thought the other day and wondered if anyone had tried this or if it's a crazy idea. I thought about taking something that will make me V* a couple times a month or something, to try to desensitize myself and overcome the fear that has a hold over me. Sometimes it sounds like a good idea, and sometimes I think it sounds completely crazy. Thoughts?

Default Re: Self Induced Therapy?

Don't think I could do that to be honest! Sounds like a living nightmare to me! My main issues are the fear and it happening in public rather than the actual act! I know from experience that when its happened I've got through it! I guess noro is the thing that worries me the most as you hear all the horror stories, I hate not being in control (proper control freak in all aspects of my life) and I think that's the main fear for me as to *v is to lose control!
    Do you know of any successes with this though?

I don't know of any stories of it at all...it just crossed my mind. Like maybe if I was "used" to it in a way, I wouldn't feel so afraid of it anymore? My fear is just all around v*, especially with the s*v* though. (the control thing too). I get 100X worse in public places like restaurants, theaters, churches, and almost unbearable if I can't be at least close to an easy exit in those places. Ugh. I know I always survive the s*v* when it happens...but for some reason it still terrifies me. I usually get it every darn year too. I'm hopeful I won't this time...

You could go to emetophobiahelp.org and look at some exposure therapy first. There are tips on the site about how to do it properly. Then maybe if you are ready......most emets probably would not bring themselves to do it. But whatever works for you.

I never took anything that I thought would "make" me sick, but I did try fingers in the throat to induce vomiting. It was not nearly as easy as as I had expected; but the results were not as bad as I expected either. The problem was, it wasn't the same thing as actually getting sick; and it did not help my anxiety and worry.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    I never took anything that I thought would "make" me sick, but I did try fingers in the throat to induce vomiting. It was not nearly as easy as as I had expected; but the results were not as bad as I expected either. The problem was, it wasn't the same thing as actually getting sick; and it did not help my anxiety and worry.
    That makes sense! It is different because being actually sick with a virus, I wouldn't have the control, and I think that's a big part of my issue. Good point!

I would rather stick hot pins in my eyes than induce it!

I'm honestly not sure it's a good idea. It could end up traumatizing you. Personally I've watched some videos on YouTube of people vomiting and I have found that it's helped me. I mean of course it's different than ME actually vomiting, but I've found that it doesn't scare me as much as it used to. The videos do show you that people do it and live through it. Some people even laugh while they do it. You might want to try that route first. You can start by watching drunk folks at first since they aren't suffering from the sv and it's not quite as traumatic for them. Just my .02.

I remember a few years ago somebody one the forums did something similar, though I don't remember how it worked out for her. When I have time maybe I'll dig around and try to find it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    I remember a few years ago somebody one the forums did something similar, though I don't remember how it worked out for her. When I have time maybe I'll dig around and try to find it for you.
    That would be great! Thank you