Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Was in hospital yesterday and scared I caught something!

I had to take my boyfriend into A&E yesterday (he is fine now) and was in such a panic because I know that noro had made its way through the hospital last month. As we sat waiting, everyone looked normal but as soon as we got into a room - I washed my hands. We were in hospital for 3-4 hours and once he got the all clear, we had to walk back through the waiting room where there was a man who had v* all over the floor! I'm scared that particles were in the air as I walked past or something as soon as I got home, I put all my clothes in the wash and had a shower.

Sorry - I'm still panicking though and nobody understands why here

Default Re: Was in hospital yesterday and scared I caught something!

I always wash my clothes and shower after an ER trip, too. You don't know why the man was v*. He could have had a concussion or a heart attack or any number of noncontagious things. A lot of people v* from pain. For example, migraines can cause v*. He may have just been in extreme pain. You've taken all the precautions you can. The veteran's hospital I go to has handsantizer in all the rooms, clinics and next to the elevators. I use it almost everytime I go past one - especially the elevators. It may not help, but it puts me more at ease. I take handsanitizer with me almost everywhere I go and it has seemed to help both with the actual getting sick and my anxiety about it.

V.. is only airborne till it hits the ground. You washed hands. You should be just fine.

I think you are fine. You weren't there when it actually happened but as long as you washed your hands and didn't put your fingers in your mouth, you should be ok.

Sorry you had to see the v on the floor though...ugh that would have made me squeamish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    V.. is only airborne till it hits the ground. You washed hands. You should be just fine.
    Cynna- is that true? What about the toilet?

From what I understand if you flush v.. or d.. it can become briefly airborne till the "dust" settles. It settles quickly. Most industrial toilets should be strong enough to get rid of it on the first flush. Always wash your hands after using the toilet since someone could have touched the handle or some particles could be on the handle. If you are worried, use a paper towel to open the door when you leave the main door of the restroom.

You cannot get it by walking past v... The v... particles have to come into contact with you. If you are close to someone who was v... right then and there, then you could possibly inhale particles. Otherwise if it was already there on the ground, then just washing hands and not touching your face should be sufficient. It is not airborne like the common cold. Just like Erica said.