Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone used Emend before surgery?

I'm having my gallbladder removed on January 16th and I impressed upon my surgeon my fear of post-operative n* and/or v* He reassured me, told me that in the last five years he's not had to admit anyone for n* or v* after outpatient surgery and that he would take care of me. I called my pharmacy today and he has prescribed Emend to be taken within three hours of anesthesia induction. I did some looking around and it seems to be very effective but not a 100% guarantee. My insurance does not cover Emend, but I only need one pill at a cost of $45. If it prevents PONV, it will be worth it!

So I need to hear your stories about surgery and especially if you've used Emend and how you reacted. I'd also like to know how anesthesia affected you in general. I had PONV after wisdom tooth surgery about 25 years ago but I know I had absolutely no anti-emetics on board when I had it done.

Default Re: Anyone used Emend before surgery?

i had my gallbladder out in 2000......i suffered from emet at the time but didn't know that it had a name....so i never mentioned to the dr or surgeon that i was afraid fo v.....so got no "extra" meds for n. i never got sick......i never even felt n......except when i got home.....four hours after surgery....i took a percocet pain killer they sent me home with. it did make me n.....no v......but i never took another one. i used tylenol for the pain....which in all honesty wasn't that bad.

try not to worry......save your 45.00........you will be just fine
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks so much for your reassurance! I'm already so nauseated leading up to the surgery that I can't imagine going without anything. My surgeon says that Emend is the closest thing they have to a sure-fire guarantee against PONV. The $45 is worth it to me just for peace of mind. It's supposed to be effective up to 24 hours.

I haven't used Emend, but I had minor surgery two months ago and they gave me a prescription for a scopolamine patch. You put it behind your ear a few hours before surgery and it's supposed to prevent n* and v* for about three days. The anesthetist also told me he was using anesthesia that wasn't likely to cause any post-op n* or v*. They were very understanding and I had no problems with the surgery. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll be fine!