Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird coping methods? :)

Does anyone have any strange coping methods when they are worried or anxious? For example, I eat cough drops when I'm anxious to help (don't know why!) and when I don't know if I'm really nauseous or not sometimes I will smile as big as I can and hold it because I think "well if I was extremely nauseous would I be smiling?" Haha it's stupid stuff but it works! Just wondered if I was the only one with strange rituals

Default Re: Weird coping methods? :)

You are from Indiana?? I am near Indy.

No other than listening to my fav crush from the 70's.

relaxing music, chewing gum, smoking cigarettes(the only time i smoke), and generally thinking of something to take my mind off it, plans for tomorrow, work schedule, etc

I recite people's phone #s backwards. I also smile, lol

Cynna where are you from?? And I never started smoking I have done it before but never addicted because I've heard too many stories about people gagging and being sick from the nicotine that they aren't used to.

I am in Hamiliton County. I grew up in WV though.

If I'm starting to feel anxious that I might be getting sick, I think about brownies (or other delicious food I've been craving). If that doesn't make me feel N*, then I figure I must be ok because if I was sick the THOUGHT of food would make me feel worse!

Also, I must live near you guys! Indy resident, too!

Wow that makes 4 Indiana people on this site. Makes you wonder if we have ever run into each other??????

I am ready for this sickness to be over. So many colds, flu, sv around at my work. Ugh

I live in Southern Marion county close to Johnson. And I do that too shivela all the time!

Shivela what side of town are you on?

I hardly ever get to the south side anymore.

For some reason I've been drinking coke when I'm nervous... weird. I like having a really hot shower too haha and for some reason putting on a full face of makeup helps. If it's in the arvo and a summer drink is in order, I will definitely be putting a shot of vodka in my drink haha. It's not alcoholism when you're with friends and family and having a drink after the day. Music is always a good help too but not really weird
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OH MY Diet Coke for me is like Whiskey. It helps calm me. McDonalds has the best Diet Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    OH MY Diet Coke for me is like Whiskey. It helps calm me. McDonalds has the best Diet Coke.
    What a coincidence! I have no idea why it is helpful... maybe it just makes me feel like I'm relaxed and enjoying a nice bev? Diet coke is surprisingly tastier than the regular hey!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:

My photography Tumblr:

I am also in Indiana! I will also think of food and see if it makes me feel s*...I drink water, for some reason this helps me because I think it helps with my digestion or something...if I can't calm down, I take Dramamine (the meclazine one) and it almost always gets rid of my nausea.

Now 5 IN members. Are you near Indy at all?

Thinking positive and thinking of what's ahead!

My number one coping method is going to sound strange but it helps me like nothing else..... I like to take "sniffs" of my Peppermint Flavored Lip Balm! It is the Peppermint Flavor by Berts Bees! It always helps to settle my nervous stomach. Just the smell of the peppermint is very relaxing. I also like to take 1 or 2 of the new Tums that are 2 in 1 (Mint/Tum). If I am able to hold down the Tums and smell the Lip Balm with no issue than I know that I am not really SICK and that it's just my nerves.

Watching scrubs....makes me feel better 98% of the time

I do breathing rituals, go somewhere by myself, do something active... The other day I was at my mom's boyfriend's house and I started to panic so I got on my bike and rose around this parking lot next to some fancy college apartments. I thought that if I WAS sick I wouldn't be able to be so active. I guess it worked... I also watch anime ._.

I am in Hamiliton County. I grew up in WV though.
    OT I know, but what part of WV? I just moved from there. I lived in Morgantown for 3 1/2 years.

Coke is my "go to" also! Along with my new favorite, Pepto-coolers (they don't leave a bad aftertaste!!). And, Lauren, the aroma of peppermint IS very calming. I use it when I fly. I went for my acupuncture appointment today (she puts lots of needles in my head for anxiety). The guy coming in was talking about the "awful stomach virus" and I started to freak. She taped a tiny metal ball inside the upper part of my outer right ear that I am to leave in for the week. She said that it is an acupressure point for anxiety, and that I should press it anytime I feel anxious. I'll let you know. BTW, I love my acupuncturist. She has been helping with both my IBS and anxiety. I fall asleep after she puts the needles in (and puts this yummy heating element over my tummy), and I am so chilled out when I'm done.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything. It messes with your mind and steals your happiness" -unknown

If I start to feel a little weird, I drink some water and tell myself "I feel FINE" and then I am okay.

By the way, I also live in Indy

Wow a lot of Indy area people. We rock.

I grew up in Wheeling. There is a member here that went to WVU.

Kick emets a....

My coping mechanism is peppermint altoids. Real peppermint oil in them. I discovered them when I developed an allergy to garlic and all members of that family, and my main symptoms are severe bloating, dizziness, and nausea. The altoids would help with all those. So now when I feel off I either pop a peppermint altoid or a ginger altoid. Works great!

Wow a lot of Indy area people. We rock.

I grew up in Wheeling. There is a member here that went to WVU.
    I know someone from there. I am a student at WVU right now, even though I moved. Neato.

If I`m stressed I try & think about something pleasant, or listen to music on my portable cd player,or a cup of coffee or tea.

It's kind of bizarre, but I will test myself to see if it's true nausea: I sniff things, like peanut butter or vanilla extract, and I drink lots of water. If I can't get my mind off of it, I go for a run or stick my head out my bedroom window. The fresh air reallly helps

if im in a full blown panic attack, nothing helps, i just have to ride it out

chewing gum and frozen apple juice are great if im mildly nauseas and a bit nervous. and youtube!! youtube is my valium (i could really do with the real valium atm though )

I go outside with my shirt tucked in my bra (at home!) so the wind/fresh air can hit my tummy; peppermint & Coke; also HGTV . For some reason, like Erica said with Scrubs, HGTV just makes me feel better. There's never any sickness on there!

Ooh, Skittles, I forgot about YouTube! You're right-- if it gets too far, all I can do, too, is ride it out. But I do love watching the "fail" videos on YouTube. Laughter really IS good medicine!!