Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I need some major reasurance! I start med school in a few weeks. I feel like I am going to die getting sick and being in a hospital during my rotations!!!! I dont know how I am going to do it. I feel like quiting. Any health proffesionals out there! I need major reasurance. I cant even walk into a hospital without obsessing about being sick. I am feel like I am in trouble. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

I do not work in the health field but I do work with kids all day.

I teach elementary school and I get so nervous. I don't know if this will help you and I am sure it doesn't work for everyone. But I just have to tell myself that I cannot control what happens. Incidents will come up and you have no control over them. You only have control over yourself and how you react. Deep breaths and stay calm.

I think most people will find that when in a tough situation they can do remarkably well. You will get through it and you will survive. Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>

Wow an Emet in med school. Now I know I'm not the only Emet that wants to go into the health profession. Anyway I think that as long as you keep your hands clean and stuff you should be fine. I mean there are a lot of doctors around and if they got sick ALL the time do you really think they would keep their jobs? I think that you'll do fine and I'm sure you'll be a great doctor when the day comes!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Not a health professional, but I am an emergency responder. It is highly unlikely that you will contract anything from the hospital. Just stick to your prevention routine, and follow all protocols for blood borne pathogens. You will be okay. I become uncomfortable in hospitals because of the chance of hearing someone throwing up, not from contracting a virus or the like. Use the alcohol based hand cleaners that are provided, as they are provided here in Ontario. You are in one of the most safest environments that can becontrolled for viruses and thelike.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

I have been a registered nurse for over 5 years now and only encountered *v* a few times in nursing school. Fortunately I had a good friend who knew about my phobia and helped me out. I never had to come in direct contact with IT.

As far as getting sick--I believe that I may have caught some sort of stomach thing from a patient one time. She was an elderly lady admitted for abdominal pain, but no n/v/d. She had all sort of tests done, but no diagnosis was given. Two days after I took care of her, I woke up in the middle of the night with an episode of *v*. It only happened that one time, but I felt crappy the following day. So, I'm guessing she may have had a virus and I caught it. I also got bronchitis a time or two, but I get that every winter.

My emet prevents me from working in the hospital setting. I worked at a doctor's office for a little over 2 years after graduation. I encountered *v* only a few times and once again my trusted friend, who also worked there, helped me out. I am now a registered nurse case manager and I work in the health department setting. I do not deal with sick patients. I do a lot of education and prevention measures.

I wish you the best of luck in medical school. Try not to let your emet stop you. I am so proud of myself that I made it through nursing school and that is the way you will feel when you graduate from medical school. If you ever need to talk, just let me know. Please don't beat yourself up like I do. I feel like I'm such a terrible nurse since I have emet!

Jess

I work in a hospital 2 days a week - on a medical floor as a volunteer. I started because of my emet - in order to beat the fear, and it worked. Look upon your upcoming exposure as an opportunity, rather than a problem. Perhaps gets some therapy for a year (add it to your student loan!) and by the time you're dealing with patients, you will be ready to do "in vivo" exposure.

I think you're making great strides! An honestly, if I could do it, you can do it too.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks for your posts guys. Sage-your right! I cant run from this fear. I have to take that time in the hospital as steps to getting better, not as a death sentence. Ill keep you all posted!

Hey there - i read thro the posts and wow - everyone who works in hospital environment is sooo brave!! yes - treat it as exposure therapy and every day u work there is a day to be proud of.

wow - maybe one dya i can volunteer too - yeah right - i cant even look after myself.

good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

ems x

hey, im not in the health industry... but i want to be a teacher one day and you know how sick kids get all the time.

my way of thinking about this is that it will probably make you
    HEALTHIER to work in a hospital because being around so many people who
    are sick will build up your tolerance A LOT. you know what i mean? you
    should think of it that way... its almost like a way to get over your
    fear and prevent getting sick at the same time. almost a natural
    vaccine

good luck youll be fine

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.