Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: influenza A

Thumbs down influenza A

since when does influenza give you both flu symptoms and D / V? everyone we know has come down with the same thing lately spread throughout different parts of the US. is this some newer flu strain this year? soo glad my wife and i got our flu shot this week. i hope it's not too late as i hear this knocks you on your butt for a good week.

Default Re: influenza A

Id been under the impression that there were 2 different illnesses really knocking people out locally, one being the dreaded noro & the other being flu. My boss & his son were really ill with what I thought was influenza & another colleague had also been off for a couple of days 2 wks ago with noro then last week he was ill again with a mix of v* d* & flu like symptoms. I then discover my boss who was ill for over 10 days had this same mix of d* v* & flu!!! What the hell is going on. Im in the UK & we're in the midst of one of the worse norovirus outbreaks we have had in recent years. But this seems to be some new mutated mix of the 2. I got the flu jab last saturday after a third co-worker came down with flu (just flu). Im hoping Im not too late & that it will at least give me some extra protection. I work in a small business with a workforce of 8 and so far at least 3 have been really ill recently & back in October 2 others came down with noro. I feel like Im a ticking timebomb!!!!

I read an article on NBCNEWS.com today and it did not mention v... or d... at all. Influenza cycles every year. Not everyone gets the flu. Hand washing is also the best flue prevention.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-cdc-says?lite

Quote Originally Posted by claire43 View Post
    Id been under the impression that there were 2 different illnesses really knocking people out locally, one being the dreaded noro & the other being flu. My boss & his son were really ill with what I thought was influenza & another colleague had also been off for a couple of days 2 wks ago with noro then last week he was ill again with a mix of v* d* & flu like symptoms. I then discover my boss who was ill for over 10 days had this same mix of d* v* & flu!!! What the hell is going on. Im in the UK & we're in the midst of one of the worse norovirus outbreaks we have had in recent years. But this seems to be some new mutated mix of the 2. I got the flu jab last saturday after a third co-worker came down with flu (just flu). Im hoping Im not too late & that it will at least give me some extra protection. I work in a small business with a workforce of 8 and so far at least 3 have been really ill recently & back in October 2 others came down with noro. I feel like Im a ticking timebomb!!!!
    yeah it's been one of the worst seasons ive seen for the flu & noro. the entire month of december myself and my family were ill. ear infection, noro then upper respiratory. i said in october it was going to be bad and i guess i was right. im just getting concerned as this influenza A strain is really bad and has made the news twice in the past two days. i know it's not hype as i was in the ER with my daughter last sunday and there were 50+ people there with it and had to wear surgical masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    I read an article on NBCNEWS.com today and it did not mention v... or d... at all. Influenza cycles every year. Not everyone gets the flu. Hand washing is also the best flue prevention.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-cdc-says?lite
    influenza is airborne. handwashing is best for noro.

Claire relax, breathe. I have not heard anything about it mutating into both. Many do not know what they have unless they go to the doctor. People often call things flu or noro and could not have either one. Some people call the sv "the flu". Some feel nasty and exhausted with noro and mistakenly think they have the flu too. Unless someone goes to the doc, then whatever they call what they have could be false. When you coworkers start talking, walk away.

Claire relax, breathe. I have not heard anything about it mutating into both. Many do not know what they have unless they go to the doctor. People often call things flu or noro and could not have either one. Some people call the sv "the flu". Some feel nasty and exhausted with noro and mistakenly think they have the flu too. Unless someone goes to the doc, then whatever they call what they have could be false. When you coworkers start talking, walk away.
    the influenza A strain that's going around makes you V as well. at least 10 of our friends have had it. even the doctor told me. im not talking about noro.

CDC advises hand washing against the flu also. You never know what it around you, so a good hand washing habit is always good to have.

I rarely get the flu. I may have had it 3 times in 42 years. Some just do not get it.

I do not get much into probiotics or vitamins, but is there something out there that helps prevent the flu???

Hope your family stays well.

I don't get what's going on, either. Everyone at my work has started with v* and d* (usually only one or two episodes) and then within hours it's respiratory symptoms. Both patients and employees. I started thinking everyone had noro, then the flu, now I'm just wicked confused haha

Some people v... easier than others no matter what the illness. Most people do not v... with the flu. It is always possible to v... with the flu. Who knows what some of the people that the responders know had. Whatever you would call it, it does not sound like fun. Emets who do not like to v... should probably be able to prevent v... by doing what they would do if they get noro.

Both of you are getting yourselves worked up. Try to relax. If is flu and noro season. Both are hitting areas hard. Try to relax and not focus your energy on either one. Emets mind can sometimes become fixated on a subject and that subject will circle in the mind for hours if you let it. The past couple weeks have been hard where I am. I have had coworkers out with illness. I kept hearing stories about people with a house full of sick people over Christmas. I understand. I had to fight the thoughts to go to work and not hibernate. I was fighting feeling of afraid to be near people in case someone would v.... These thoughts can take over your mind if you let them.

Cover your mouth when you cough/sneeze, try to stay clear of people that are sick, wash hands, eat healthy, get plenty of rest. Does anything else work suck as Vit C, Encinchiua (however you spell it), emergen C, airborne, garlic, or zinc?????

Again I hope that both you and your families stay well throughout this long season.
    Last edited by Cynna; 01-04-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Fixxxer I am worried about you. You and your family was hit hard this season. I hope you can find some peace and your second wind soon.

I am pretty sure my family had this. We didn't get that sick, so maybe we didn't have it. Of course, we got hit with h1n1 super hard, so maybe we have some resistence. I had a bit of the stomach stuff (just loss of appetite and some d), but nothing that kept me down. Not everyone gets it really bad. The flu's been widespread in my state for about a month now despite what the CDC says. I sure hope no one in my family gets this really bad stuff. When it comes, it takes months to leave the building.

Now that I think about it, what you had does sound like the pig flu we caught at the Fair this summer. None of us v*ed though.
    Last edited by Grace47; 01-04-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: thought of something new

I had influenza over Christmas I only felt n* on two evenings but I didn't v*

Fixxxer I am worried about you. You and your family was hit hard this season. I hope you can find some peace and your second wind soon.
    surprisingly im ok other than loosing my mind in disbelieve that my girls and us keep getting sick. it's like all hell broke loose here dec 1st and it's been non stop. first time i got a flu shot in 4 years and the first my wife ever had. i just cannot handle this all winter long, it has to end soon or i may be taking a break and leave the house for my sanity. my wife is pretty shocked too as this is rare for us, i mean it's only jan 4th. were coming up with a contingency plan in case one of us bring this influenza in, the healthy ones will be leaving for awhile to prevent the constant circle of illness we have had. i just hope the noro we got last month is it for the year. and the docs tell us it's the way it is everywhere this year, everyone we know has the same stuff going on. just horrid!

Remember that people exaggerate their symptoms all the time. If someone has a 105 degree temperature they probably had a 102. People love attention.

I've actually had a 105 fever before, but that was with pneumonia.

I am recovering from a nasty cold or flu right now. Not sure what is is, but I felt so sick in the beginning that I was scared I was coming down with the dreaded noro. My fever was 101 and I was just so hot/cold and achy!

You know, I just read a friend who was unable to keep food down for about two days, then was hit really hard with a nasty hard cold. Was tested with a nasal swap in the ED and it is Influenza A....this is the first I heard of this too. But I think some people just have the poopy luck of not being able to control the v like we can....

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBn83 View Post
    You know, I just read a friend who was unable to keep food down for about two days, then was hit really hard with a nasty hard cold. Was tested with a nasal swap in the ED and it is Influenza A....this is the first I heard of this too. But I think some people just have the poopy luck of not being able to control the v like we can....
    yes it's a newer strain of infuenza A this year that causes both gastro & respiratory illness. this is what everyone we know has. 3 of my wife's relatives caught it last night. im thinking the vaccine this year didn't cover it and im sure we will be hearing about it soon enough from the cdc. spring cannot come soon enough for me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jadeshine View Post
    Remember that people exaggerate their symptoms all the time. If someone has a 105 degree temperature they probably had a 102. People love attention.
    thats not whats going on.

FFS, more things to try avoid now........
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    FFS, more things to try avoid now........
    yes it's very frustrating and it's only january. hopefully this stuff peaks early. your best chance is to get the influenza vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBn83 View Post
    I just found out that everyone at my work who started with gastro then turned to cold were confirmed for Influenza A, too! How crazy!

Guys I'm closing this thread now as its been reported and there's been a fair discussion. Please remember that people come here to feel better. Alarming folks is the CDC's job. No need to do it here. Everyone here is already unnecessarily terrified.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.