Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default A few questions about seeing a new therapist.

I finally have health insurance after a year of being without it, so I can see a therapist now! I already have one picked out that is close to me and specializes in anxiety and phobias, but I don't know if she has ever dealt with a patient with emetophobia or even heard of it.

My questions are, how do I explain the phobia to her and what kinds of things should I tell her emetophobes go through on a daily basis? And any other tips or advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: A few questions about seeing a new therapist.

Well, my therapist knew the phobia by its dictionary definition, but during our first session he pretty much asked me to take me through the life of being an emetophobic. And then in each session after that we just got more and more indepth of the stuff I go through on a daily basis. And we are trying to do exposure therapy to try and nip this phobia in the bud. Trust me, they will get to know you if you are willing to tell them the things you want to fix. I have to say that my therapist is great! He is always doing extra research for me to try and help me as best as he can! And I was so nervous about seeing a therapist and finally reveling to someone that isn't in my family that I have this crazy phobia. But he was very understanding...obviously. And didn't judge and takes what I have to say seriously! Which is a nice change. SOMEONE finally realizes that this is something that I struggle with! It really is a great way to purge this thing off your chest...at least it helped me. And you are one step closer to going in the right direction to get pass this phobia. I wish you the best of luck!

http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...for-Therapists

Ask and you shall receive.

Just wanted to say I noticed that you seem to be feeling better lately from some of your posts. You do not seem as anxious as much. Good job! Kick emets a....

Thanks, Cynna!

I've been trying really hard to work on this on my own before therapy. This phobia definitely comes and goes for me.