Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hair in throat

Default hair in throat

So tonight my boyfriend started to complain about a hair in his throat. After multiple swigs of water and checks in the mirror, he couldn't get rid of it. My boyfriend has the same fear as all of us (which is an interesting combination when it comes to freak outs and panic attacks). I was trying to calm him down, telling him that I get hair stuck in my throat all of the time and it's normal, but he's hard to convince (sometimes he's crazier than I am). Right before I left, he had googled "How to get hair out of throat" and of course found something about the sensation of a hair in your throat being a symptom for some sort of virus. WELL, of course this made ME freak out because whatever he catches, I'm going to catch as well, and now I'm convinced that I feel like I have a hair in MY throat (will the madness end?!?!?).

Has anyone ever heard of this being a symptom of a virus? I've never heard of it until tonight--I even googled it myself when I got home and didn't really see anything other than that ONE comment that he found.

Any logical people, ease our worried minds!

Default Re: hair in throat

Some troll on the net most likely. Does not make any sense at all.

Try not to eat your hair, it could give you a hairball.....I have longer hair. I gag when my hair gets in my mouth.

that's what I tried to tell him...and he should understand that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet!!!

thanks for the quick response!

I can honestly say that I have never ever heard of that as a symptom of a virus so I wouldn't worry! X

I have long hair and 4 dogs so the likelihood of getting hair in my mouth is quite high!
    I try to always pull it out of my mouth before swallowing but if it's too late, there is a trick to making it go down. Have him eat a piece of bread. For some reason, the hair will "stick" to the bread easier than just water and it will go down.
    You and he can both rest easy-this is not SV
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I second the bread idea. And I think feeling a 'tickle in your throat' could precede a sore throat (that's probably what the website meant), but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the SV. When I'm coming down with a sore throat, I'll sometimes feel weird sensations in my throat that aren't quite pain; for me, those sensations are pretty distinct from a hair in the throat, but maybe the creator of that website got them confused. Either way, that's not an SV symptom.

Whenever I get a cold my throat gets a "scratchy" feeling but its different from a hair feeling. You guys are fine- Don't worry!

Did he recently get a haircut? I know that I often get hair in my mouth after a haircut since I buzz it with a razor. Even so, I've never heard of a virus starting by a "hair in the throat" sensation. This is one of those instances where you have to take what you find on the internet with a grain of salt!