Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Diazepam (for dental phobia) side effects?

At the ripe age of 30, I have to go for my first filling in the morning! I am beyond hysterical when I'm at the dentist and alongside my emet I think it's a control thing (or lack of!). Anyway I've been prescribed 2mg of diazepam which I know is really low but I don't usually medicate with anything else other than motilium when I really need it, but I'm scared of feeling dizzy and nauseous with diazepam, has anybody taken it and been fine? How does it feel? etc etc. I've had general anaesthetic and antibiotics before and never had any stomach irritations with them.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Diazepam (for dental phobia) side effects?

Headphones can be a great tool at the dentist. It can help you relax. Also drowns out the noises of the equipment.

You should be ok with the med, but you may want to have someone drive you in case.

Mind over matter. Try deep breathing. I flipped out when they tried to put braces on the first time. Convinced myself I was going to v.... Prob early panic attack. The next times, I had to focus on the music on the radio and try deep breathing. I usually tell them before hand what sign I will use if I can not talk and need to take a break.

Good luck. You can do this

Thanks Cynna! Yeah it's complete panic. I had a really bad extraction 2 years ago It's not even so much a phobia of the dentists even, it's more a fear of myself and my reaction to be honest which is completely OTT and humiliating. When I'm in the chair I just completely lose it and try to escape and my body reacts like I'm in grave danger.

When I had my extraction I had my headphones in which did help loads but it made me scream louder so that I could hear myself - which was pretty bad for the patients in the waiting area. But you're right it's mind over matter! It'll be over tomorrow!

There is sedation dentists out there if you need it.

I've looked into it... V expensive!

Hi felina I've taken diazepam and motillium together plenty of times in the past 2 mg is low dose but I've never had any stomach issues what so ever on diazepam upto the 10 mg even when taken without the motillium they simply make you not care as much never had dizziness or anything with them. It will just makes the dentist a nicer place with fewer worries.

Hi Simon! Your post is extremely reassuring thank you, I was really frightened of feeling dizzy on them but I've read that 2mg is so low it's unlikely to induce any side effects. Thank you all so much x

I've taken diazepam before and it's calmed my stomach down and also made me feel nice and relaxed so I wouldn't be worried if I was you, I'm sure you'll be fine.