Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ginger Chews / Ginger Root Capsules

I know this has probably been discussed a million times before, so sorry in advance.

But I'm thinking about trying out ginger root capsules. Has anyone ever tried these?
    The ones I'm looking at are:
    preferably http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...193&prodid=317
    or maybe http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...ules-_1139746/

I've also seen these ginger chews:
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...17&prodid=3143
    but I'm not sure about them because I usually try to avoid new types of sweets/food (obviously).

So, which would you reccomend?
    Also, just how effective is it? Does it just treat n*, or will it actually prevent you from v* if you got s*v* or f*p* or something?
    I was thinking about trying an OTC anti-emetic, but I have social anxiety so I'd be too scared to go into a pharmacist and ask, and (obviously) I don't like to take medications because of the side effects. Is ginger just as good? Should I get ginger capsules/chews for everyday use, but also but some OTC anti-emetics for when I feel really n*? If so what OTC anti-emetics should I look for (in the UK)?

Also, sorry about the questions, but could I take/chew these capsules/chews everyday? Or will that be dangerous?

I'm particularly asking about this now because I have exams at university and I really don't think I can carry on much longer like this. Emetophobia, social anxiety and depression is killing me, I NEED to be able to get on with my university course (and life, well, try to build some sort of life) without having to worry about this all the time. I literally HATE exams, I spend way more time worring about actually sitting the exam in a big hall filled with people (because of general social anxiety and because of fear of v*) than I do preparing for the actual exam. I miss lots of lecture and tutorials because of it but obviously I cannot miss exams. OK, sorry, I'm rambling now...

So, thanks for any help anyone! This is my first real post here, I think.

Default Re: Ginger Chews / Ginger Root Capsules

Hi, welcome.

Have you looked into therapy or meds? You may see if there is a program at your school. It does get better, but sometimes you need some help to get you there.

I took ginger chews while preg. I thought they tasted terrible. The taste almost did me in at times. The prob sell them at maternity stores over there.

Hope you feel better. It will be ok, it will get better.

I find ginger to be very helpful in easing nausea, however, I drink it in a tea form.

Quote Originally Posted by kyphie View Post
    I find ginger to be very helpful in easing nausea, however, I drink it in a tea form.
    I'm not a massive fan of tea, but I've recently been thinking about trying it out. I was also thinking about peppermint tea, have you tried that also?

I take 2 of the Holland and Barrett ginger capsules and 2 of their peppermint ones after dinner every day! I like to think it helps my digestion and as my IBS and nausea flares up after meals it makes sense to me to do anything I can to ease it. Honestly not sure how much of a difference they make but it makes me feel easier which can only be a good thing. I drink ginger and lemon tea and peppermint teas too. When I first started I loved them and felt they really helped if I was nauseated but these days I think I almost associate them with feeling sick so haven't been as keen to drink them recently.

As far as OTC anti-emetics in the UK go, you can get Motillium from the chemist without a prescription. And, as disgusting as it tastes, pepto bismal is ace at calming down an upset stomach (turns your poo black though ). I would say you're better off seeing your doc first. There are other anti-emetics that are prescription only which may be more effective and motillium from the chemist is super expensive for 10 tabs, whereas I get 80 odd on prescription for free (gotta love Scotland). The docs will also be able to suggest therapy/ treatment which is defi a better plan long term than relying on anti-emetics!

Ginger works well to ease nausea but it will not prevent vomiting in case of severe food poisoning or stomach illnesses. It works nicely for mild stomach upset and morning sickness. I prefer the chews because they taste good and I like to believe they act faster, but either one is good. I don't think you can OD on ginger but you might want to check for interactions if you take other medications. I agree with the others that you ought to go see a doctor or therapist at school because they can probably help you a lot more with those problems.

I buy ginger chews called gingins. They are delicious and help w nausea

Sometimes taste buds get weird during preg. Maybe that is why I did not like ginger chews. Last night I ate a whole bag (hiding head in the sand) of Stacy's Gingerbread Pita Chips.