Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry Flu season sucks. *Could possibly be triggering*

I was doing fine, not panicking about getting a virus, but then now that I'm back at school everybody is talking about the flu they had over Christmas break. Some people just had the normal respiratory flu while others had the stomach flu. All my teachers are talking about it. My problem is, is it really necessary to go into every detail? It bothers me, not even only as an emet, but I really don't want to hear all the details of the bodily functions. I'm sure I'm a big fat hypocrite, because I share my ups and downs on here, but I hypocritically say that I think it's different... wow, I feel like a total ass, but it's what I'm feeling right now!

I had a stomach ache last night and now I'm just panicking. As of today, I'm just so nervous. None of my close friends are, or have been sick with it thankfully, and my family is in the clear. I shouldn't be panicking, but the principal announced district wide that there are two serious virus' going around and we need to a) wash our hands frequently (no brainer!) and b) stay home when we're sick!

It's this time of year when my emet hits again, badly, because every little dizzy spell or stomach ache, I just go to the worst possible scenario. Last night was my worst panic attack in awhile, I ended up taking Ativan and Gravol (the drowsy kind for the first time in ever) because I couldn't calm down and stop pacing.

I put the trigger warning in the title just because we all have different sensitivity levels. I know that reading about these things can really be triggering. I like how I'm talking about how people keep talking about it, and here I am. So, sorry for my immense hypocrisy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: Flu season sucks. *Could possibly be triggering*

I thought it was well written.

It is hard, but we need to learn how to control our emotions, not let the words or stories of others control our emotions. Of course if I had a quick fix for this, I would be a nobel prize winner or something.

When you hear conversations, try to walk away. Turn off the news. Tune out the principal when appropriate.

Just try deep breathing, meditation, or distracting your mind when your mind starts to obsess or have irrational thoughts about flu/noro.

So many of us are getting bombarded with stories, media reports, etc left and right.

Is it spring yet?

I kwym! I keep telling myself I am seeing fewer people coughing and sneezing. The CDC report which the media goes by is actually about 2 weeks behind the actual flu season. Another thing to remind yourself is that they were sick over the break, but are much better now. I am sure you're very viligent in your handwashing and none of your close circle has had it. Also, plenty of people confuse fp with sv. I am sure a lot of them had undercooked or improperly prepared foods over the holidays. Not all of it is sv. In addition, some are probably getting s* from leftovers which should have been thrown away.

Hi! Very well written. I use my iPhone to post on here and the autocorrect is awful. Even when I look back at my own posts I can't tell what I have written!

When I had this issue at school (still do at work) I just ensure that I stayed away from people that were recently unwell, that I washed my hands before I ate anything. I washed them well and rinsed well. (no need for really hot water) I never over did it and just tried to stay calm. The mote you worry will trigger anxiety. Just look after you. Don't worry about others. At school people always lie. No idea why!. "I was the most Ill"....... "no I was!!" that for of thing, like it's a competition. Stay clean and you will stay healthy. Hope everything works out

I know, I don't understand how this damn flu is spreading like wild fire the way it is. People don't feel well, stay home. Don't go into stores spreading your germs and touching things.

Again, I think most of us emets are a little overly cautious when it comes to protecting ourselves from germs and stuff, but when you think about it, we really aren't crazy. It's healthy to keep our dirty fingers our of our mouths and wash our hands before eating or after using the bathroom. It really should be common sense to people. I think all stores need to post that "Cover your cough" flyer that is hung in most doctors offices. Really though.

I agree with Erica. If you are sick, stay home! I saw a woman who was in a store carrying a v* bag with her. I am still panicking over it. It's like everyone loses common sense when they are sick. Think of other people!!!

They do in the VA hospitals. They also enforce wearing masks. I give people a nasty look when they don't cover their coughs. And I do not have a fear of seasonal flu, but I do have an autoimmune disease and these things are more serious for me.