Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question celexa side effects?

The doc gave me celexa 20mg for stress and depression. She said its a well tolerated drug but im kinda worried about the side effects ive read. Mostly bad nausea and sexual problems. Anybody have any experience with it? What if i start off by cutting the pill in half to 10mg?

Ive heard good and bad things about this drug and any antidepressant. I asked for valium but she didnt think that was a solution.

Default Re: celexa side effects?

I've been on celexa on and off for years, with no side effects nausea wise. Only 2 side effects that I don't like is decreased libido and slight apathy. I'm on Wellbutrin as well to combat those side effects. As for weaning yourself on, I did 10 mg for a week, then 20, and so on (I went up to 40).
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I agree with your doc on the Valium thing. It's addicting and just masks the problem it you have symptoms more then not. It's ok for anxiety once in a while but not for e everyday use. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Don't manipulate your dose without your doctor's permission/instruction. They are trying to get your blood levels to a certain point so you have enough drug in your system to feel the effects, so cutting your dose will mess around with that. Most anti-depressants cause nausea/dizziness at first.

Valium shouldn't be the first line of treatment for depression - it is habit-forming and potentially fatal if taken improperly (overdosing). It's primarily used for episodes of panic/anxiety that are too severe to be managed otherwise - not a daily med. "Stress" is different than "anxiety" - the former being shorter term and less severe than the later. Try this med for a few weeks before dismissing it! You can always try something new, but every med you take you HAVE to give your body a period of adjustment before you dismiss it all together.

PS: I have been on several psych meds and work in mental health, that's how I know this stuff! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by angela638x View Post
    Don't manipulate your dose without your doctor's permission/instruction. They are trying to get your blood levels to a certain point so you have enough drug in your system to feel the effects, so cutting your dose will mess around with that. Most anti-depressants cause nausea/dizziness at first.

Valium shouldn't be the first line of treatment for depression - it is habit-forming and potentially fatal if taken improperly (overdosing). It's primarily used for episodes of panic/anxiety that are too severe to be managed otherwise - not a daily med. "Stress" is different than "anxiety" - the former being shorter term and less severe than the later. Try this med for a few weeks before dismissing it! You can always try something new, but every med you take you HAVE to give your body a period of adjustment before you dismiss it all together.

PS: I have been on several psych meds and work in mental health, that's how I know this stuff! :-)
    can you take zofran for this in case of nausea? i have no issues trying the drug out but as i said im not into taking meds in general but i know i need to for awhile. the celexa isn't for my emet its for stress and seasonal depression,

Quote Originally Posted by Natiebear View Post
    I agree with your doc on the Valium thing. It's addicting and just masks the problem it you have symptoms more then not. It's ok for anxiety once in a while but not for e everyday use. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
    i only asked for valium so i could take one as needed. i had some back in november and they really helped me calm down.

I also take 20mg daily and have no problems with it (nausea or sexual). For the first week I noticed that I had SLIGHT stomach upset when taking with an empty stomach, but that was about it. Just ensure you have a small bit of food on your stomach first. It works wonders and I honestly believe it's helped me some with my emet.

I found that prozac helps with my emet. I started taking if for depression. Good luck, hope you start feeling better.

Valium is a benzo. I hear addiction can be horrendous.

Yes, you can take zofran. Vistaril is also often prescribed for nausea/anxiety, and is non-habit forming. It's active ingredient is what is in benadryl.

The only side effects I have ever had from these types of meds is constipation and throat closing up and severe panic attacks. The Dr. told me to take a Benadryl 30 minutes before taking the med. so I tried it. It worked wonders! Check with your doctor about trying this IF you have any side effects.