Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Reading and hearing so much about Norovirus--are ALL stomach viruses norovirus??

I'm just not sure. What are the differences? I'm new here--had emet. since I was 9 yrs. old, now almost 37.

Default Re: Reading and hearing so much about Norovirus--are ALL stomach viruses norovirus??

No, there is also the Rotavirus..but typically only kids get that. Just make sure you wash your hands before eating and after using the restroom! And if you think you've touched something infected, don't touch you face before washing your hands my boyfriend has the stomach virus right now (second time, he last had it after thanksgiving). I hugged him and he kissed my head the last time he got it after vomiting and I was safe. This time we didn't touch at all and I have not got it yet, today we hugged (about four days after his symptoms started) and now I'm freaking out like I did last time but I'm sure I'll be fine because I got lucky last time and it was a worse situation so just be sure to wash hands! That's what I do with him. And took a shower after he hugged me :P

Default Re: Reading and hearing so much about Norovirus--are ALL stomach viruses norovirus??

There a quite a few virues and bacteria that cause Gastroenteritis. The most common is norovirus but there is also Rotavirus, Sapovirus, Astrovirus, Torovirius, Adenovirus type 41 and 42. The bacteria that cause Gastroenteritis are E-Coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, c-diff. There is not alot of difference between each of them to be honest, they all cause diarreah and vomiting. Also all are treated in the same way, by drinking plenty and letting the illness run its course. However for Bacteria Antibiotics can be prescribed.
    Its worth noting though that just because it says that an illness includes vomiting, it doesnt necessarily mean that person will get the specific symptom. Take me for example, I had Steph Throat over Christmas and was on Anti-Biotics and every website says that with Steph Throat you get, Headaches, Vomiting, abdominal pain and rash. However I only for the Headache and Abdominal Pain.

OK, are they all spread the same?? If so (or it not), how are they spread??

Quote Originally Posted by ditchy_jon View Post
    There a quite a few virues and bacteria that cause Gastroenteritis. The most common is norovirus but there is also Rotavirus, Sapovirus, Astrovirus, Torovirius, Adenovirus type 41 and 42. The bacteria that cause Gastroenteritis are E-Coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, c-diff. There is not alot of difference between each of them to be honest, they all cause diarreah and vomiting. Also all are treated in the same way, by drinking plenty and letting the illness run its course. However for Bacteria Antibiotics can be prescribed.
    Its worth noting though that just because it says that an illness includes vomiting, it doesnt necessarily mean that person will get the specific symptom. Take me for example, I had Steph Throat over Christmas and was on Anti-Biotics and every website says that with Steph Throat you get, Headaches, Vomiting, abdominal pain and rash. However I only for the Headache and Abdominal Pain.

Only kids get rotavirus & astrovirus. E-coli, salmonella, etc., are foodborne.

Quote Originally Posted by sadie1001 View Post
    OK, are they all spread the same?? If so (or it not), how are they spread??
    All Stomach Viriuses and Bacteria are spread the exact same way, through contact with Fecal Matter (ie: contact with the Vomit or Faeces of someone who has vomited). Out of all of them Rotavirus, E-Coli and Campylobacter cause the worse symptoms (2 of which can be made better by antibotics). Rotavirus is extremelly uncommon in Adults and it has been tested that 95-98% of all children in the Developed World have had Rotavirus at some point in their lives. Rotavirus causes vomiting and 2-9 days of diarreah. E-Coli and Campylobacter are mainly foodbourne diseases and are caused by Bacteria. Symptoms usually start suddenly and cause the same as Rotavirus which is vomiting and 2-9 days of diarreah. However unlike virus, where a small amount of virus can (very rare though) cause illness, Campylobacter and E-Coli need many millions of particles to cause infection. This is why it is rare to catch these bacteria via the feacal route, however as bacteria grow on food based products, this is why they are common as food poisoning. It is impossible to catch food poisoning if products are cooked properly as all viruses and bacteria are inactivated/killed at temperatures higher than 60 degrees centigrade. When you cook chicken for example all the white bit of the meat is cooked at 100 Degrees centigrade.
    Norovirus is actually very mild compared to those listed above, because they say 20% of the world population are actually immune and another 20% do not show symptoms. Also Norovirus generally causes 4-5 hours of vomiting and a day of diarreah so in the grand scheme of things it is quite mild.
    Norovirus gets alot of press attentions because it spreads like wildfire in nursing homes etc, but very few people are killed from norovirus and there are nearly 0% chance of any further complications.

Ditchy_jon, you sound very knowledge about about stomach illness. A lot of it can be prevented with safe food handling practices and hand washing. My old vet went to Mexico and ate whatever she liked and did not get sick because all the food she ate was properly cooked. Here is a link on food safety - http://www.foodsafety.gov/ I haven't had fp in over 10 years because of careful food safety practices. In fact, it is my belief that most fp can be entirely prevented by safe food handling and preparation practices. Although, noro is quite unpleasant, it is not dangerous and usually self limiting. It is fp that is actually dangerous and can cause days of illness. But honestly, I even eat loads of raw foods and I haven't had it in years.

thank you ditchy_jon--you do sound very knowledgeable about all of this. why is it then, that people often say that you catch these viruses from people even before they know they are going to get sick/show any symptoms?? (As you can tell, I think about possible exposures A LOT!) I've heard and read many times that people are contagious before they show any symptoms. thank you in advance.

All Stomach Viriuses and Bacteria are spread the exact same way, through contact with Fecal Matter (ie: contact with the Vomit or Faeces of someone who has vomited). Out of all of them Rotavirus, E-Coli and Campylobacter cause the worse symptoms (2 of which can be made better by antibotics). Rotavirus is extremelly uncommon in Adults and it has been tested that 95-98% of all children in the Developed World have had Rotavirus at some point in their lives. Rotavirus causes vomiting and 2-9 days of diarreah. E-Coli and Campylobacter are mainly foodbourne diseases and are caused by Bacteria. Symptoms usually start suddenly and cause the same as Rotavirus which is vomiting and 2-9 days of diarreah. However unlike virus, where a small amount of virus can (very rare though) cause illness, Campylobacter and E-Coli need many millions of particles to cause infection. This is why it is rare to catch these bacteria via the feacal route, however as bacteria grow on food based products, this is why they are common as food poisoning. It is impossible to catch food poisoning if products are cooked properly as all viruses and bacteria are inactivated/killed at temperatures higher than 60 degrees centigrade. When you cook chicken for example all the white bit of the meat is cooked at 100 Degrees centigrade.
    Norovirus is actually very mild compared to those listed above, because they say 20% of the world population are actually immune and another 20% do not show symptoms. Also Norovirus generally causes 4-5 hours of vomiting and a day of diarreah so in the grand scheme of things it is quite mild.
    Norovirus gets alot of press attentions because it spreads like wildfire in nursing homes etc, but very few people are killed from norovirus and there are nearly 0% chance of any further complications.

thank you ditchy_jon--you do sound very knowledgeable about all of this. why is it then, that people often say that you catch these viruses from people even before they know they are going to get sick/show any symptoms?? (As you can tell, I think about possible exposures A LOT!) I've heard and read many times that people are contagious before they show any symptoms. thank you in advance.
    Alot of people think they get it from someone close to them who was ill before hand. There are many reasons for this but heres two that come to my head. Firstly someone could shake hands with a person who is currently infected and then before washing their hands shake someone elses hands which is cross contamination. Secondly people could think they catch it from someone else but actually they caught it from another person who didnt say they were ill. There are so many variables, but aslong as you wash your hands thoroughly everytime you are about to put your hands into your mouth, you wont catch any stomach illnesses.

Also be careful about what you read, 95% of the websites you read are peoples interpretation of stomach viruses. I mean I checked one website that insisted that it can take up to 3 months for Norovirus to make you ill. However every virologist in the world said that it was impossible because after 48 hours, the body keeps the virus in check and therefore it cannot me that person ill unless they have a weakened immune system. Dont believe what you read all the time.

THANK YOU AGAIN! Where do you get all your knowledge?? Are there some good, reputable and reliable websites that you recommend??

Alot of people think they get it from someone close to them who was ill before hand. There are many reasons for this but heres two that come to my head. Firstly someone could shake hands with a person who is currently infected and then before washing their hands shake someone elses hands which is cross contamination. Secondly people could think they catch it from someone else but actually they caught it from another person who didnt say they were ill. There are so many variables, but aslong as you wash your hands thoroughly everytime you are about to put your hands into your mouth, you wont catch any stomach illnesses.

Also be careful about what you read, 95% of the websites you read are peoples interpretation of stomach viruses. I mean I checked one website that insisted that it can take up to 3 months for Norovirus to make you ill. However every virologist in the world said that it was impossible because after 48 hours, the body keeps the virus in check and therefore it cannot me that person ill unless they have a weakened immune system. Dont believe what you read all the time.

THANK YOU AGAIN! Where do you get all your knowledge?? Are there some good, reputable and reliable websites that you recommend??
    NHS, Bupa, CDC and HPA are reputable websites. However in my years you tend to read a few things and take the ones that make sense and try to remove those that dont make sense. IE: People saying that Norovirus can be cause via air, if you go to other sites, it say it can only be caught via the air if someone vomits near you.
    Its best not to look at website as they can make you anxious.