Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Boyfriend has stomach virus, we hugged, reassurance please?

So my boyfriend last caught the stomach virus after thanksgiving from his family. We were supposed to go to the mall to buy my mother something for christmas but he said he thought he had a migraine (which he gets a lot) so I visited him after. Long story short, turns out he had the stomach virus from his family at another house on thanksgiving. We had already hugged and he had kissed my hand and head before we knew for sure but he had already v* by this point. After I found out, I started panicking and crying and went home, took a shower and waited out the 12-48 hour period barely eating or drinking for fear of getting sick. Turns out I was fine, and avoided it. Now he got it again Tuesday. Same situation almost, I went to visit him before knowing he had it and he v* while I was there. We hadn't touched this time though and I didn't get it and it's now been about five days. We have hung out every day but we don't touch and we keep a distance (this time he got it from his manager at work). Well today we got in a bit of an argument (he's only been feeling completely better today btw) and he ended up grabbing my hands and then hugging me. I'm now panicking again thinking I might get it. I already got sick Thursday morning and stayed home from school, not because of v* but the other direction but it only happened in the morning and ever since my stomach has felt a little off, but I think it's because I'm worried and not eating much. Plus my period started yesterday and I get HORRIBLE cramps. After he hugged me today, I went home ASAP to shower and wash everything I touched in the house down but it wasn't very quick. I avoided touching my face, I used my jacket to get hair away or to scratch itches.

Do you think I'm ok? My mother and my boyfriend keep telling me I'm fine but I've been reading a lot about the virus. And actually I have read it can only be contracted if the person didn't wash their hands well and touched something that you then touched and touched your face after or if they had recently v* and you breathed the air or kissed them. He always makes it to the restroom and he definitely cleans his hands for me because he knows I deal with this fear. He's so understanding. I'm just worried since I know he's still in the contagious stage (at least three days after feeling better) and we touched. I'm drinking emergen-c right now and I am generally a vegan but definitely vegetarian, my mother only buys organic and I usually eat home cooked meals (so I'm very healthy, usually don't get things except allergies).

I'm new here but have been dealing with this fear since fourth or fifth grade, around the age of...nine or ten and I am now about to turn 18. I've gotten a lot better though, I don't get as many panic attacks and I can be around someone who is v* if it's due to drunkness, food poisoning, pregnancy, migraines...etc., but if I can catch it, I gotta get away from them. (Then I start panicking and crying, trying to get away like I'm in a horror movie where I'm about to be murdered and I'm begging for my life!).

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Boyfriend has stomach virus, we hugged, reassurance please?

If you weren't around him when he physically V*'d or D*'d then I'm sure you'll be fine since it can't be airborne transmitted. As long as you washed your hands and didn't touch your face/mouth you should avoid it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alrighty, I thought the same! And if I did catch it, nothing I can do to stop it now...just hope for the best! Thank you

You are most likely immune for the season once you get it. Are you sure he had "it" before and had it the 2nd time? People do v.. for other reasons too.

Stop reading about it. You think it will make you feel safer the more you know, but it is more often the opposite. If infects your mind and makes you obsess more. There are incorrect articles out there.

To get Noro by kissing, you would have to kiss him right after he v... before he brushed teeth. Not likely to spread at all by a kiss since most brush teeth when they have v.. breath before they make out. You would have to get the particles of v... into you.

Not eating will not solve a thing. It will make you weaker and could make you sick. If you are going to v... for any reason, you will do so regardless of it you have eaten or not. Eat. Eat small comforting meals if it makes you feel better. There is absolutely no reason to starve yourself. NOT DRINKING IS EVEN WORSE, OUR BODY NEEDS LIQUIDS TO SURVIVE.

I am glad you are making progress in your emet. Has therapy helped you?

Hugs, breathe, relax