Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What treatment(s) do YOU use to cope with your emeto?

I was just curious as to what treatment(s) my fellow members use to cope with their Emeto, anxiety, depression and such.

Default Re: What treatment(s) do YOU use to cope with your emeto?

I'm on CBT therapy for TAG and emetophobia. Depression sometimes, but not enough to consider me depressive.

Also, I visit my psychatrist each 15 days to get new prescriptions for Zoloft and Risperdal, as well as to make sure the dosis is right. She's also a really good friend.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Start with a new psych dr this week, then will hopefully get into CBT with a local practice I found soon thereafter. Here's to success!

I see a shrink for cbt and a psychiatrist for medication. It has helped a lot.

jennjt and Grace47, What meds are you prescribed?

I'm having exposure therapy at the moment, but I'm pretty unsure about it at the moment. I've heard quite a lot of stories about it curing you only temporarily. But hey, it's different for everyone.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

When I could afford it I did EMDR with my counselor which actually helped quite a bit... nowhere near cured, but I can function better than before.

I see a psychologist for my OCD and at the moment that involves some CBT with ERP (exposure and response prevention). I'm going to be referred for further CBT (I've seen several therapists now). I also tried fluoxetine (prozac) but had bad side effects so stopped taking it.

Mine is usually accompanied with mild-severe panic / general anxiety. I was trying different SSRI's (lexapro, zoloft, etc...) but finally got off those after a few years. I know take xanax only when needed.

I've been working with a therapist for a year and a half now. There is a link with childhood abuse with my emet, so my treatment may not pertain to everyone. She uses EDMR therapy with me most days. It has been incredibly helpful! I have been free from my OCD compulsions for a year now. I also have been at lot more at peace with my body. I have not felt as controlled by my emet. In fact, I'm about to have my first baby in April. I'm not at all scared to go through childhood illnesses with him and I have almost gotten to the point where I see the benefits of v* and d* as a way to cleanse out a virus or bacteria. Just the fact that I can have relaxed thought patterns about v* is a HUGE accomplishment.

I've never taken any drugs or medications to help with my anxiety. My therapist did highly recommend them to me quite a few times early on, but I felt more comfortable not. (This was a completely personal choice! I have absolutely no judgement towards pills, I just prefer to be as natural as possible). Having a good bedtime routine helped with emet-related insomnia. I spent the hour before bed drinking mint tea and doing something relaxing (like watching a historical documentary).

I know I'm not quite "cured" yet. Maybe I'll never be completely "cured". I am very thankful for EDMR therapy. There's nothing quite like it. It helps upsetting brain patterns change into different positive brain patterns. For instance, I used to feel unsafe eating out at restaurants. After working on that brain pattern, I now can hardly relate to those old fears. I get food out at restaurants many times a week and eat without reservation.

I am on Lexapro, 20 mg and Vistaril (non-narcotic for anxiety) 50 mg up to 4 x a day. Sometimes I take none-- sometimes all four. I am not able to get into therapy at this time because mental health is not covered under my insurance .
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne