Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Prochlorperazine (Buccastem) prescription- do you think it would work for noro?

Hi everyone,

So my psychologist agreed that I should get an anti-emetic to take if I got ill so that I could start doing exposure therapy and I had a phone-call from the GP today.
    I was taken off guard because he phoned earlier than expected and just said I'd like an anti-emetic prescription. He suggested domperidone but I said I wasn't sure it would work and I suggested Zofran and Ondansetron but he seemed to ignore those and said he could write a prescription for prochlorperazine.

I know prochlorperazine is actually sold over the counter as Buccastem here so it was a bit of a pointless conversation. I actually thought that it was quite a strong drug because it's an anti-psychotic as well as an anti-emetic but I've done some further research and it sounds like Zofran and Ondansetron are much better for norovirus.

The NHS has a limited budget so I'm sure that's why he could only offer this drug!! Do you think I should arrange to see a psychiatrist for a Zofran prescription instead? (I can do this relatively easily).

Has anyone tried prochlorperazine when definitely infected with a sv?

xx
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-18-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Default Re: Prochlorperazine anti-emetic prescription- do you think it would work for noro?

Zofran is a strong Anti-Emetic and the ussye us that your GP will not want you to have these all the time, which an emetophobe may do. I have domperidone as it helps me IBS when I eat to much. I does help with nausea. The best thing to do is at least try them and if you find they are not working as you want, you can always speak to your Doctor again.

Default Re: Prochlorperazine anti-emetic prescription- do you think it would work for noro?

Thanks Ditchy_jon,

I think you suggested Sterizar the other day?- I was just wondering- how much benzalkonium chloride does it contain? or does it have another active ingredient? Thanks

Also I just realized Zofran is the same as Ondansetron. For some reason American GPs prescribe Zofran- maybe because they make money from it? But apparently it's only prescribed in tiny quantities for very ill people in the UK- weird!

Quote Originally Posted by emet-ana View Post
    Thanks Ditchy_jon,

I think you suggested Sterizar the other day?- I was just wondering- how much benzalkonium chloride does it contain? or does it have another active ingredient? Thanks

Also I just realized Zofran is the same as Ondansetron. For some reason American GPs prescribe Zofran- maybe because they make money from it? But apparently it's only prescribed in tiny quantities for very ill people in the UK- weird!
    I contacted the company who make it and they say it contains 0.3% of Benzalkonium Chloride, which is double the recommend amount to remove norovirus. On the website, it has been independently tested and the test shows it removes Norovirus to a British Stands 14422 or something like that. I have been using it since Christmas along with my family (as we have a 20 week old child with severe chest infection and she will be in hospital if she gets it) and none of us have come down with it. I still use soap and water, but this helps when Im no where near soap and water. There are others on the market such as Germstar which also get rid of norovirus. Because I have Psoriasis I tend to use this one as its really nice on the hands, whereas alcohol gel makes my skin worse.

Zofran is quite a strong anti-emetic and I suppose in Britain they would want people to use it who have severe vomiting, and probably not us emetophobes who would take one for anxiety. Domperidone is good as it moved food through the stomach quickly and blocks dopamine receptors which stop nausea and vomiting. It can be found in most chemists under the name motilium 10.

i take domperidone everyday, after taking 4 years of reglan everyday i switched , but i have a stomach motility disorder. However, i also have to take zofran odt every few days 1-3X a day and it STILL isnt strong enough sometimes for n* .I say if you feel like your getting sick go to the ER for liquid zofran, much more effective..Sometimes when its paired with another it becomes more effective like ativan or something.
    But im sure it would help lessen any effects..but any sort of anti emetic has risks with heart arrythmias that are pretty significant, which is why i have to be monitored alot.

Thanks Alls, you know lots about this. It must be horrible to have a stomach-related disease. Have you tried prochlorperazine (compazine)? I've read it has some nasty side effects (muscle related problems mostly). Also what is Ativan?

Ditchy-Jon, thanks for the info- I'm definitely going to order some Sterizar . I have domperidone which I take if I feel nauseous- if I get a sv I'm not sure which I'll take! I hope your baby's chest infection goes soon.

xx
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.