Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default In the house :-(

Hi everyone I'm here just a week after last posting being worried when I came into contact with a customer who had norovirus. Now my Dad has just had sickness and diareah.

I literally haven't left my bedroom and won't do until I leave the house.

I don't know if its norovirus as we all had lamb for dinner I took one bite and thought it tasted funny so didn't eat anymore but I had a few toilet stops after. My mum ate her lamb and so did my dad. She feels fine though.

He feels ok now after he "got rid" of whatever it was. It's all been really quick tho so he may continue to be ill but I don't think there is anything left in his stomach. So sorry for being graphic.

But if my mum is ok it can't be the lamb? Maybe we got an off bit though.

I'm really nervous now, I would rather it be the lamb than norovirus as I don't want my mum or me catching it!

It's so difficult to know what it is. But I just think its strange how I thought it tasted funny and didn't eat anymore and my dads been ill?

I'm so so scared.

I don't want it to be norovirus!!

Don't think I will get a wink of sleep now.

Default Re: In the house :-(

Anyone on here to talk?:-( I'm feeling so worried. How will I know if it was norovirus or the lamb? He had sickness diareah and the shakes. I'm so so worried!

How is he doing now?
    I would think that if it were the lamb, he would improve once he got it out of his system. I would also think that your mum would have felt poorly too if it were the food.
    I hope things are going better for you!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I don't think he has been sick again or had diareah. How am I going to know the difference? I thought noro lasted longer? Thanku for replying!

Of course, Hun!
    Unfortunately there is no way of knowing with 100% certainty without getting a stool sample tested by a doctor and he probably wouldn't take kindly to that suggestion.
    From experience, even with a standard SV, there's about a 24-48 hour period where the person will feel generally yucky, even if the d and v has stopped. I would expect if it were some kind of bug he would still feel off (tired, yucky stomach, d, etc) for a little while longer. My daughter has had SV a few times and even if she only v once, she was still not right the remainder of the day. I do think it would be unusual if he did have SV, v/d only once, then be recovered. That's notmpically how SV behaves.
    Don't forget, he could have v from something he ate earlier in the day that your mum didn't have and that's why he's the only one
    with symptoms.
    Last edited by jmoore10; 01-18-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: More info
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”

Ok thanks Hun.. So if it was norovirus he may still just vomit once.., I guess we won't know really what it was 100% as you say. It just seems funny that I didn't like the lamb after 1 bite, it was lamb chops, maybe we got the bad ones and my mums were ok? He said he didn't eat any lunch at all today. He said he was shaking.. He felt ill then in 30mins he was unwell.. But 30mins later in bed asleep. It's been 2 hours now and I don't think he got up.

It's rubbish Hun.. It's kinda ruining my weekend. After a rubbish one last week too! I feel like I really need to see a doctor about this now, I'm fed up of living in constant fear. And this happening was my worst nightmare!

Thanku so much for answering me and just knowing someone is there! I could never tell anyone I know how I feel ;-(

Try not to let this ruin your weekend. My thought is that if your dad wakes up tomorrow morning and is back to normal you can relax a bit in that it was more than likely the lamb. I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that only a couple of the chops could have been spoiled
    Thera nothing wrong with how you are feeling, sweetie. You have a phobia, and it's no different than people who are petrified of snakes, spiders, flying, etc. Well, it's different because what you fear is a bodily function and unfortunately there is no way to hide from your own body the way someone could avoid spiders or snakes, you know?
    That's great if you feel ready to seek treatment and you should definitely pursue it. Some people on this forum have had success
    with various types of treatments-it's all in finding what works for you!
    I'm glad you found the forum. You will find there are many knowledgeable and helpful members here-we're all in this emet shithole together
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!
    Jennifer

Thanks so much. Are u doing ok with your emet?

It's been nearly 3 hours with no toilet trips from him as far as I know. I just thought noro meant sickness an diareah for a few hours at least, not 1 hour of feeling rough. Trying to tell myself it's not noro!

Maybe the lamb was too rich for him. He can't eat rich foods sometimes.

Where are u from? X

My emet is alrighty right now.
    I go in cycles where I feel better for a bit, but will also backslide at any given time to the point where I will live on pretzels and gummy bears (don't ask!) because I'm too afraid to eat. It definitely spirals downward when I feel especially threatened, like if someone in my house gets it or if my stomach has been especially bad. There are definitely days where I feel hopeless and that I will never shake anxiety and fear becomes all consuming. Interestingly, it will usually lift on it's own after a while. I don't go to therapy or take meds (except I do have my prescription anti-emetic drugs).
    You are right, noro typically doesn't make someone feel poorly for an hour then disappear. I would expect him to have residual
    symptoms for a bit even after he stopped the v.
    I'm in Glendale, Arizona. You are in the UK, aren't you?
    Jennifer

It is possible to have Noro and only v once. My son v'd on me when he was 3, and was quite ill. I don't even know how many times he v'd. No d. 35 hours later, I v. Only once and no d. I'm not trying to scare you, but just making the point that you can catch a sv and have a different reaction than the person u caught it from. My hubby didn't get it at all! To be honest, last time I had a sv, I had severe shakes. And cold. I could not get warm! I had no d, and v'd twice. Was extremely tired. I have never had those kinds of symptoms before. It all depends on your immune system strength and all kinds of factors. IF dad had a sv, does not mean you will get it at all. Keep up your hygiene!
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Looks like it was norovirus as he had sickness and diareah. My mum said nothing was wrong with the lamb. So now I'm panicking! I have to go to work today aswell.