Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Norovirus in the house..

My dad has norovirus.. Since he showed symptoms I didn't touch anything then touch my mouth. Cos I'm so scared of catching it should i go to my boyfriends or go home? My fear is I may have caught it anyway and will then be ill at my boyfriends house. What would everyone advise me to do? Stay home but stay in my room and wash hands and hope I don't get it or go to my boyfriends house. Even tho I have already been in contact with my dad. :-(

Default Re: Norovirus in the house..

You can only catch it from actual v or d. It is not airborne. As long as you have good hand hygiene and the sick areas are thoroughly cleaned after he is ill, you should be fine. I understand your concerns and I would be scared in the same situation. Your dad is a grown man and probably mainly cares for himself and most likely won't leave messes for you. I know it's hard, but go home and get some sleep. You can do this.

Thanks.. I just don't know whether to go home or stay with my boyfriend as I do at weekends anyway. Am I better at home in case I come down with it?

If that is where you are comfortable, then yes. However, there is every chance you won't get it. If you happen to get sick at your boyfriend's, you can always go home. But there is a very good chance you won't get it. We have often had only one person come down with noro in my house and no one else got it even when we only had one bathroom.

My boyfriend lives 45min drive from my house so it would be difficult to get home if I did catch it. I have had the virus before and nobody caught it in my house. So I am just hoping! I'm in bed now in my room trying to get some rest. I didn't sleep last night! I just haven't a clue what to do stay here or go to his. How long am I at risk?

12 to 72 hours. Most people come down with it fairly quickly. Did you dad shut himself off from the world while he was sick? You may not have come across it at all. If he has his own bathroom, there's a good chance he hasn't spread it around. My hubby has had noro and never even told me - didn't have to because he has his own bathroom and took care of himself. And no one else got it or even knew he had it.

He used both bathrooms. But I haven't used them since! Only the one at work. We have a third toilet I could use to avoid it.

Use the bathroom that he hasn't used to wash your hands and face and everything. That one will be safe (granted that no one else touches the other bathrooms and then uses this one). As long as you wash your hands before eating and before touching your face you should be just fine.

How do you know he has noro? Did he get tested?

Hope your dad is feeling better and you anxiety is doing better. Relax. Live your life.

If it is noro, then as long as he washes his hands properly, areas where he v.. or had d... are cleaned properly, and he did not v.. or have d... in front of you there is no reason to worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Hey guys I'm at my boyfriends. I didn't use the toilet or eat anything at home. I keep feeling unwell tho with nerves. I have another question...

After v* and d* how long until particles settle? As I'm thinking they may have been in the air when I walked past the bathroom etc? Or do they land instantly?

Thanks so much everyone for your help.

Doug would know for sure, but I think it's pretty much instantly. Have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by anne865 View Post
    Hey guys I'm at my boyfriends. I didn't use the toilet or eat anything at home. I keep feeling unwell tho with nerves. I have another question...

After v* and d* how long until particles settle? As I'm thinking they may have been in the air when I walked past the bathroom etc? Or do they land instantly?

Thanks so much everyone for your help.
    They settle instantly, the particles are heavier than air and dont have the lipid envelopes to stay airborne. It would be the same as if a water balloon was thrown on the floor, within a few seconds the particles of water would have hit the floor.

Thanks, that settles my mind. I remember u were commenting on my post last weekend, who would have thought I would be back so soon!

So if I didn't eat anything in the house or use the toilet or touch anything since he was ill, I should surely be in the clear. But before he showed symptoms he burped near me and also passed things to me with his hands to mine. But that was over 24 hours ago. :-S

Well, I wouldn't say they settle "instantly" but even the smallest ones produced by v* would take only a few minutes to settle. Perhaps the spray from flushing the toilet without closing the lid could create particles that stay airborne for a few minutes too. It's hard to say for sure without calculating everything, but I'd guess about 5 minutes tops and they'll be all settled, even the smallest ones.

I have been out of the house 24 hours now.. Anyone know how long I should stay at my boyfriends? When is safe to return? If he is still contagious up to 3 days after symptoms stop then that should be Tuesday. But how long on surfaces could it survive?? I'm thinking 2 wks from what I read online!?

I think you're probably safe now. I would still get some gloves and clean with beach when I get home. You can't stay away forever. *hugs* I'm sure your dad's totally over it by now.

Very true, I'm thinking of going back tues evening after work. Thanks *hugs* still worried I'm going to catch it but over 24 hrs since I left and didn't touch anything in the house once he showed symptoms. My mum hasn't come down with it yet thanks god!

36 hours almost since I left and I feel fine. Just worried on when to go home? Should I wait a week? Anyone? X

If he had noro, he is most contagious days 1-3. There is some debate if he can spread enough virus to make someone ill from days 4-10.

Have we ever figured out if he had noro or fp or something else??

It all depends on whether or not your dad is a good hand washer and if all areas where he v.. or had d.. have been cleaned properly. If he is a good hand washer and the bathrooms have been cleaned properly, then the virus will not spread unless he v.. or had d... in front of someone. Is he the only person in the house? If there are more people in the house and no one got sick, then he is probably a good hand washer and there is nothing to worry about. If not, then stay another week if you feel comfortable there. Relax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Hi my mums in the house with him and she hasn't caught it yet. I'm thinking if I do go home tomorrow I just won't eat anything in the house for a while incase? How long should I wait to prepare food in the house, just to be 100 % safe? Xx thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by anne865 View Post
    Hi my mums in the house with him and she hasn't caught it yet. I'm thinking if I do go home tomorrow I just won't eat anything in the house for a while incase? How long should I wait to prepare food in the house, just to be 100 % safe? Xx thanks again
    I promise this is hopefully my last post / question lol

if I was to go home tomorrow (day 4 after symptoms began) and maybe just bring some ready meals that are pre prepared which I won't have to use hands to cook etc and plastic cutlery in case there are particles on the cutlery? even tho I will wash my hands many times? would that be my safest option? I do have to share a toilet but I won't touch anything· also they just bought a puppy yesterday and I haven't seen it yet and I'm dying to go home but my fear of the bug has stopped me··· I'M thinking all silly thoughts now like if he didn't wash his hands then touched the puppy then I touch him - this is why I'm thinking of getting ready meals so I won't be preparing any food even if the virus doesn't properly wash off my hands?

I'm sure your folks have cleaned the house since you left - especially since they know you have been gone all this time just to avoid getting sick. Most likely even if he isn't the cleanest person, your dad has had at least a couple of good hot showers in the meantime. There is a good chance he did not have noro, but something else. Regardless, I think it is safe to eat and live at home. You are highly unlikely to get sick from the dog. Besides, I'm sure you wash your hands between playing with him and eating. I wouldn't bother getting special food. Just clean and properly prepare the food in the house. If you are worried about your parent's cleanliness, just buy a bottle of bleach and some gloves and clean away when you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    I'm sure your folks have cleaned the house since you left - especially since they know you have been gone all this time just to avoid getting sick. Most likely even if he isn't the cleanest person, your dad has had at least a couple of good hot showers in the meantime. There is a good chance he did not have noro, but something else. Regardless, I think it is safe to eat and live at home. You are highly unlikely to get sick from the dog. Besides, I'm sure you wash your hands between playing with him and eating. I wouldn't bother getting special food. Just clean and properly prepare the food in the house. If you are worried about your parent's cleanliness, just buy a bottle of bleach and some gloves and clean away when you get home.
    Its a worry because they say norovirus can live up to 2 weeks on door handles... and can also be in faeces fire2 weeks. so that's what worries me. but I will take it advice I will prepare my own food but clean as I go along. thanks Grace

Stop reading about noro. It makes it worse. You are searching it between posts, right?? A lot of emets think that the more they know about it, the safer they will be. Most of the time, more information leads to more panic and obsession and anxiety. It can be a vicious cycle.

Please eat a normal healthy diet.

If your dad washed his hands good and the areas were cleaned properly, the virus is not lurking in the house, the virus would not be on door handles, on the silverware, on any food, etc. Cleaning properly and washing hands STOPS THE VIRUS IN ITS TRACKS.

Cuddle the puppy.

Kick emets a....

Yeah u got it right! Always googling it :-( I will go home 2moro and cuddle the puppy lol.

You're lucky you have other places to go! I'm sure it will be safe to return home now, there's been enough time for everything to settle and if your Mum hasn't caught it then I doubt you will, especially if you keep your hygiene at a good standard.

Anyone know exactly how long they can survive on surfaces??

They say 2 weeks on surfaces on most websites.

A little update.. I went home Tuesday, cuddled the puppy etc didn't use the toilet or eat anything in the house and spent around 6 hours there. Almost 48 hrs and I haven't caught anything. Tomorrow I will be going home (will be a week since he started showing symptoms) does anyone think I'm safe to use the same toilet he used, the kitchen etc to cook in? As long as I wash my hands and don't touch my mouth there is no way I can catch it? I just worry I will forget and touch my face or something. My mum hasn't caught it so far. Hope I'm not annoying anyone I just feel I need reassurance.. Don't think I'm gona relax until the 2 weeks is up!!

I'm tempted to stay at my boyfriends as I'm back here Saturday anyway. What do u guys think would u go home?? X