Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I spoke to my Mum on the phone this morning and asked her if my little sister has got this sv that has been in our house yet (she goes to the same school as the kids here) and my mum said "She won't get stomach bugs, she's got Pearson in her, Pearsons don't get stomach bugs". Is there an inherited predisposition to sv? I guess that could be the root of my fear - they do say that a lot of emets start life not having many svs so they don't accept it is "normal" and not frightening to v*. I wonder if my sister will end up like me?
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You know, I read this study one time and it said that they checking for a resistance to Norwalk virus. They gave people a solution to drink that was laced with different titrations of the virus and studied who got sick, how many particles it took to get them sick, how long it took, etc. and found out that there are certain people who have a certain gene marker or an enzyme or something in them that makes them less likely to be infected. Whether that's concrete proof or not, I don't know, but it certainly suggests that there are those lucky ones out there who just don't catch it.

On a side note: WHO in their right mind would volunteer for that study???? [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Yeah lol I was reading something yesterday about the correct position to be in when v*ing (I wasn't aware there was one) and they did a study whereby the volunteers had to be induced to v*ing twice. Madness.
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am 25 and can only remember haveing 2 sv

I had a lot of stomach viruses as a child--usually at least one per year and yet I am still emet. In fact, I think my frequent *v* is what caused me to be so afraid of it.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking when reading that post: who would volunteer for a study like that?!?!

Yeah but V* doesn't bother some people and you can get paid a bit for doing medical research stuff so. It's like...if Spiders don't bother me and someone said for research pick up spiders....to someone who is phobic of them they'd think I was crazy!!!!!!

When I was younger I was always stronger stomached than my sister. Once we both got ill with the same thing, she V* all night whereas I was sick twice and it was over.

I remember once when I was 13 working out I would get sick every six months, and getting excited i wouldn't be sick for Aggges LOL how weird!!!!!!

xxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I haven't had many sv that I know of, but I did v* plenty as a child.

I sort of think that emet might be something you're born with though,
    because in reading the stories of other emets here most of us seem to
    have had this since before we can remember.

I also believe what they said about perhaps some people are less
    inclined to contract sv because you always hear about genetic
    variations like that with other diseases. I know they discovered one
    that protected certain people from plague hundreds of years ago.

Edited by: chicajojobe

This is all very interesting. I guess some people get sv* easier
    then others. My brother was sick a lot as a child. Im my
    life I can remember having 4 sv*. I'm 28. I wonder if that
    is a lot? Well, one is too many! LOL[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Carrie

I read that.. about what position ya should be in, and how many times the average person is sick in their lifes.. what was it? About 4 or 5 times in a year for a woman and less for a man? But if you dont count a little dry retching once or twice then Ive only been sick once in my whole life.